• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Height Not Statistic on Profile?

robergnm

How come height isn't an option we can fill in on our profiles? To me it would help me understand others & perhaps the same in turn if they could see my weight & it's progression in comparison to my height. It would take out assumptions, etc.

Does anyone address these suggestions once made and posted?

Thank you.

robergnm

Hi Mary. Someone looks at these. I like your idea it helps put everything into perspective. :cool: Tom

well I'm 5'11, yes I think height makes a huge difference, I know people may think why I picked 166 as my goal weight well on my height I would look great at that weight, one day i'll get there. yes I too hope they add height to our profiles for the ones whom would like to post there height too. don't have a pic yet I need to post that too.
you're doing well with your weight loss.
donna

I really don't see why it would be necessary to have someone's height on their profile. Maybe it's just me but I don't judge anyone's goal weight, I just look at it as someplace they will feel comfortable at. Afterall, we go through enough scrutiny when we go to the doctor. This forum is supposed to be a "fun" place to go, not a competition.

If there is ever a spot to enter height I will either leave mine blank or fill it in as NUNYA. And no, I am not hung up on my height.

Pat99

hi I don't think any of us think of it as a "competion
I think each of us is very happy for our fellowman when they loose the weight they wanted to use, I think a profile is about us, we talk to each other sometimes on a daily basis and I think it's good to get to see pic to actualy feel like hey I know that person for we are learning so much about each other by our own choices of sharing what info we feel comfortable sharing. I am not judging anyone by there height and I am sorry if I sounded that way cause I didn't mean too. I've fought being a tall big woman since I was a teen,. so I think it's a mind battle with myself feeling like I have to justify my height with my weight etc. I love this room and the friends I have made here and I would not try to offend anyone on purpose. so I apologize if I have offened you or others. God made each of us they way HE wanted us to be, and now we're being given the chance to change our bodies back to the healthy stage HE intended for us to live in healthy bodies no matter the height.
you're doing good on your weight loss, I called surgeon's office again still waiting for my return call, if not this week I am driving the 30 min to hospital in the next state) just across the mississippi river and go to the office and see if anyone will please answer my ? for all I ever get is an answering system and never a real person.
trust me once I get mine done this whole room will hear me shout YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I'll to be on my road to success with my new tool of w/l surgery I am anticipating my new beginnings happening soon I pray.
thanks for sharing about the new receipes and pasta and where to get them,, gonna check that out and order some too.
thanks
donna

1st, let me state that it was a question/suggestion. 2nd, it would be optional whether or not one would want to add that information. 3rd, I was merely asking because sometimes it helps one keep things in perspective, not in a competitive manner but merely for context. 4th, I never made the suggestion to hurt one's feelings or offend anyone. Lord knows we all have our own crosses to bear & I'm happy for everyone to & who succeeds. I sympathetic to those who are struggling, have difficulties, complications, etc. 5th, I would find it helpful to find other members who are in the same height - weight parameters to ask for tips on those doing very well & other issues like how to dress, aids for holding extra skin when exercising, etc. 6th, sharing one's weight is difficult for many. It was really difficult for me to post an honest weight on a website; some people hold off & choose not to - it's one's perogative.

Again, let me repeat, intially a questions and merely a suggestion. If I've offended anyone w/this or any comments or suggestions I've made, I apologize and ask for your forgiveness. I'm in counseling and this is a BIG issue for me. I've got issues when I upset someone and have a hard time moving past them. So believe me when I say, I am not the type of person to intentionally go after someone, a group either consciously or unconsciously with the intent to hurt.

I'm not sure if the extra weight makes me more sensitive and/or losing will ever help me become less sensitive and prone to cry easily. It's not easy & embarasing in life, at work, etc as a 46 yr old professional woman.

I just want Bigtallsis & Pat to know I hear what you're saying and feel very bad that I've offended and hurt you; I'm bawling as I try to type this response. I wish everyone the best of possible outcomes and rejoice in your highs & offer support, virtual hugs and an ear when you having lows.

By the way, I'm 5' 6" - started off with wearing some LARGE 3Xs and 30-32 clothes that are expensive and difficult to find especially for a professional business setting. Then do I like the way they fit, hang, etc. No, which is why I avoid full length mirrors. I don't know if my body issues will ever change and that scares me but don't we all want to be "normal"? I just have no idea what the heck that would or will be for me but I know I'm extremely long way from it.

One of my best friends ripped into me yesterday about the goal I set & that was when I had it at 150. When I explained to her that I was merely setting a goal for something to shoot at and more importantly to put me in the healthly - just under the overweight category for my BMI. I'm concerned about my weight - of course, but my BMI is another statitistic I watch in anticipation of reducing it's number.

She went on to ask me about having surgery to remove excess skin, etc. My goodness, I just had this surgery on 6-6-12. I can't begin to wrap my arms around a 3rd large abdominal surgery. The first open surg for my ovarian cancer & removal of a 26 lb ovarian tumor + other stuff at age 35 was traumatic.
2nd this surg combining the roux-en-y with repair of a large hiatal hernia is huge as well. Both surgeries have come with complications. It just isn't easy. Large belly surgeries are difficult as hell. Also, I'm short in torso and long in legs for my super obese 5'6" body.

So did I found this conversation uncomfortable but I've know this friend for 42 yrs & know she can't possible relate to my life & medical issues I've been through. It was hard not to say something but I gently steered the conversation away from talk of removal of extra skin/fat to working out & seeing where things go & muscle weighing more than fat but taking up less mass. Then she goes on about 2 people she knows - thank goodness she had to go so the conversation came to an end. -- just saying.

Pat, I'm misread your response; I read it as I'm offened, just voicing my opinion.

I'm just trying to keep it real for me. I can't hide or kid myself have to deal w/the cold hard facts.
Perhaps I'm more sensitive since I've barfed up what I've tried to eat for the past 2 days & haven't been able to get enough fluids.
In addition it's superhot - high of 100 degrees today & I really need to be walking but I don't do well in the heat and heavy humidity.
Basically I feel like a huge failure & hot mess. I'm struggling with the sipping of water, too - certain I'm taking in too much each time I try.
Still feel like I'm made one of the biggest mistakes of my life, not the large hiatal hernia repair but the roux-en-y.
There's no going back which is scary.
What scares me even more is if I ever need to be intubated they won't know I've had the rny & something goes terribly bad.

For me, it doesn't matter about the height on here...I'm not offended by anyone or anything that has ever been said on here. I'm barely 5'1 and short waisted as well...my being over 250 lbs sure makes me super morbid obese....there is light at the end of the tunnel though....

that's why I'm not telling anyone about my surgery yet. I don't want "friends" comments or judgments or what horrible thing happened to their Aunt Fanny when she had WLS. Robergm-- I like this forum because everyone's opinions are welcome, pls don't take personally.
My wanting height on profile is because 100 extra pounds on a 5 foot frame looks like 200 pounds on a 5 foot 10 frame, so it gives me an idea of what people are dealing with. To me, height/weight goes hand in hand

Hi Karenina - It's Mary. I completely understand why you are probably very selective with who you want to inform about this very, personal medical matter. I didn't want everyone at work to know & when I did tell some of the people "I" wanted to inform, they already knew? Was it a HIPPA violation - don't know but that's not the issue. I wanted to be the one to tell who I wanted to tell.

My bff from childhood probably meant well but really didn't know how sensitive I am right now & how I heard what she said.

I heard something interesting the other day, think it was Dr Phil, "Perception is reality" - so true.
It's difficult at best to know how one perceives words said about sensitive matters; it's always important to know your audience but even then you can't always so 100% sure.

I know it's really tough for shorter people w/weight. 5-10 lbs on a petite woman can be very noticeable whereas if you have some height, it's still 5-10 lbs but there's mass to distribute across - hope that made sense.

Well, now sure when your surg is but I do wish you all the best w/everything you encounter. Happy 4th - Mary

For me, it doesn't matter about the height on here...I'm not offended by anyone or anything that has ever been said on here. I'm barely 5'1 and short waisted as well...my being over 250 lbs sure makes me super morbid obese....there is light at the end of the tunnel though....

I'm with you Nana about not being offended by anything said on here :) :) :) Sometimes I am surprised at some of the things some people "share" but on the other hand this forum is a place to feel safe and vent, etc.

Heck, if I went through life wondering and worrying what people say and do then I would be a mess. It would be like letting someone live in you head "rent free". Live and let live.

Pat, I'm misread your response; I read it as I'm offened, just voicing my opinion.

... What scares me even more is if I ever need to be intubated they won't know I've had the rny & something goes terribly bad.

GET A MEDICAL ALERT BRACELET, NECKLACE OR KEYCHAIN

If you have had gastric bypass surgery or lap band surgery it is important to wear a medical ID bracelet to alert emergency technicians that you cannot have a blind NG tube inserted. Here is what is recommend for gastric bypass patients.

Jane Doe
Gastric ByPass 1/12 (month and year of your surgery)
No Blind NG Tube
No NSAIDS/ No Sugars
Dr. 555-555-1212

Thanks for the Info Pat, I never tought about that until now, I will have to get one of those. :cool: Tom

GET A MEDICAL ALERT BRACELET, NECKLACE OR KEYCHAIN

If you have had gastric bypass surgery or lap band surgery it is important to wear a medical ID bracelet to alert emergency technicians that you cannot have a blind NG tube inserted. Here is what is recommend for gastric bypass patients.

Jane Doe
Gastric ByPass 1/12 (month and year of your surgery)
No Blind NG Tube
No NSAIDS/ No Sugars
Dr. 555-555-1212

Pat, I have seriously been thinking about getting a necklace, bracelet & even thought about a tatoo. Might as well add my allergies to penicillin & dilaudid as well.

Hi robergnm,

I surely do enjoy your posts and have never been offended. Something I have experienced is people telling me not to lose too much weight. So I asked one friend what she thought my ideal weight should be. She gave me her exact weight but then I asked her how tall she was and she said 5'8". Well that was the perfect weight for her and when I reminded her that I was slightly under five feet tall she revised her opinion. In fact I think the doctor even has me as slightly higher than I would like to be by about ten pounds but we will discuss that later when I get closer to goal. I want to be able to maintain my weight too so that is a factor. I'll never get to my original weight of 6 pounds and 10 ounces. Just kidding! LOL.

I got my card to carry regarding the lapband and my family knows that I carry it and where it is . They gave it to me prior to surgery. It is so very important and everyone needs some method of letting medical personnel know. Good information. Joy

Back