• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Heightened changes in taste?

robergnm

Is it just me or have others experienced an increase in the way various foods seem to taste now?

For instance, the turkey, breakfast sausage links have just a tinge of sweet along w/some heat from some spice(s).
Same with the grilled turkey brats, too. Never thought I would love these turkey products as much as I do.
Seriously would not go back to the standard, manufactured types.

I've noticed that some things taste too sweet (never ever thought that would be something I would say in my lifetime), too.

For those who have had their surgery some time ago; does this more keen sense of taste last?

Is this our body's way of talking to us to let us know what not too eat possibly?

Thanks - Mary

Hi Mary,

I never would have thunk it but I notice it too. Before surgery I loved Unjury Chocolate protein shakes and now I can barely get them down. I will finish off the little bit I have left - don't like to waste. I seem to prefer lemony sour things right now. Don't like anything too sweet anymore. Haven't been able to eat sausage for years because of the spices so don't know about that. I was warned that tastes would probably change and not to buy huge amounts of supplies until I knew what I would like best. Joy

The biggest thing that has changed for my taste buds its I like fish now, I still don't care for the smell of it cooking but I like the taste, go figure. I have never been areal fan of sweets but so far I have not toticed a change in how sweet things taste, however if they contain too much surger I dump within 5 minutes, I've stayed away from those things after that. I love the turkey sausage too. I think some things taste so much different now is because we chew our food up so well that we have time to savor all the ingredients that make food taste so good, or bad in some cases LOL. :cool: Tom

I notice an increased taste of salt and garlic. I never used a lot of salt before surgery and only used garlic sparingly but now I have to be very careful not to use hardly any of either of these or I end up feeding the food to the dog. I've only had one restaurant meal since my surgery and the food tasted "strong".

Gosh you are already eating turkey bacon... man i gotta strt trying to eat.. i feel like such a baby .. i barely started eating fresh fruit.. ok ok one 1/2 of a peach but mmmmm it tastes sooooo good... i want to eat but do not feel hungry booo... this new way of life is taking a toll on my brain.... but i will not give up being a recovering addict who used drugs to stay thin 180 was thin for me its sooo hard to want to eat food now.. oh well i guess everything takes time .. i want to eat but i dont feel hungry mostly tired and .... well working and meetings take up lots of timebut i will find some where for me to swim cuz i love swimming plus its the best toner for me

Mary,
Yes, yes, and yes. My tastes change constantly. I can't say that I now like something which I didn't before but right after surgery everything tasted too sweet. They gave me Crystal Light in the hospital and I couldn't drink it so I took it home and diluted it. Now I am finding that I can drink Crystal light with no problem. The taste is strong but I like that. For the turkey sausage, I don't like the taste. What brand do you like? I keep experimenting but I eat so little and my tolerances keep changing. I wonder if it will ever level out. Thanks for posting.

Back