• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello all

i have never written in a forum or even chat area but here goes. I am 5 weeks post op i was discharged from the hospital with a list of foods to consume from 1-8 weeks post op. not really a written diet. I have found several books to help but have found that no matter what i eat my stomach feels too tight if that makes any sense. For example I ate for breakfast a scrabbled egg with low fat cheese on it. My stomache felt "tight" It is almost as if i do not want to eat because of this feeling. has anyone else felt this??? Thank you

Welcome, newrnypatient,

How long is your meal lasting? Are you chewing all your food at least 30 times per bite? Are you not drinking with your meal? You might try these suggestions if you haven't already to see if they ease that full feeling. I have a lapband and if I don't chew enough I get very uncomfortable. I am not allowed to drink anything for at least 30 minutes before my meal or after it and I have found that really helps a lot to avoid that full feeling. Also make your meal last from 20-30 minutes. That will help a lot too. Good luck, you are doing great so far. Joy

Thank you

welcome, newrnypatient,

how long is your meal lasting? Are you chewing all your food at least 30 times per bite? Are you not drinking with your meal? You might try these suggestions if you haven't already to see if they ease that full feeling. I have a lapband and if i don't chew enough i get very uncomfortable. I am not allowed to drink anything for at least 30 minutes before my meal or after it and i have found that really helps a lot to avoid that full feeling. Also make your meal last from 20-30 minutes. That will help a lot too. Good luck, you are doing great so far. Joy

java joy:

Thank you so much for your help and your positive comments. I thought i was doing all of those things but will make sure i keep an eye on the clock. Have a good evening:):)

Hi New RNY Patient,

Sadly I know the feeling & understand your concern.

There are times I probably don't wait long enough after eating to drink water; I should probably go to 45 mins vs. 30 mins.
The other time is when I eat too fast and/or don't chew well enough.

I've read from another program that you need to chew until your food is the consistency of toothpaste if this helps more than counting the number of chews. We started w/a 1/2 babyspoon full of food & I continue to use one to eat.

If you feel full before the 30 mins, stop. I was told to eat for 30 mins & stop. The surg at my first appt said 45 mins? I've read in the materials 30-45 mins?
I find the 30 mins works; I'm afraid of overstuffing myself; it hurts!

When I make scrambled eggs I add 1 egg, some cheese, powdered milk & a little skim milk & blend it in my Magic Bullet that I used to puree foods in phase I.
I cook them in a small saucepan that I leave on the stove w/a little water. While it heats up I make the eggs.
Sometimes I also add 2 sausage links; I take that babyspoon and cut little wheels of them and cut them in 1/2 a 2nd time.
It takes a good 30+ mins to finish & the turkey sausage links are really delious.

Hi Newrny, Welcome. It is very common to feel full on so little food. I started with 3 to 5 real small meals a day some of them being protien shakes. at 5 weeks your meal plan should be expanding a little but remember your pouch is real small and on egg with cheese is about what the pouch can handle, I would also slice up a link turkey sausage with my egg and cheese. It take a while to get used to eating such tiny amounts but you will get used to it. I use eather a tea sauser or a salad plate and if the salad plate is full that will probably be to much food but remember you dont have to finish your meal. Let us know how you are doing, If you cant find a sample meal plan in a few days I will gladly share some ideas with you. :cool:Tom

Thank you Tom for the information. I would be happy to receive your plan. As you said my meals do consist mostly of protein shakes. I have a really hard time with solid food. my husband is worried i am pushing too hard to try to get ready to return to work. I will use the small plate. i mostly use a small bowl but then end up eating only the small amount in the bowl. abut 1-1.5 ounces. I will try the plate thank you for your help. :)

I am overwhelmed by the response I have received and am humbled by the caring of you all. I am so happy I found this site. Thank you so much!

Hi Newrny, I am only 1 week out from surgery...I am having a hard time with drinking or eating...some days I feel like I am starving and other times I feel that I am way too full to eat anything. I need to follow all of these suggestions too....I use my mini blender to puree my soups, and today I made a mistake and had too much and felt sick afterwards, so I know to make sure that I only get a small amount and take it minute to minute...I was told to stop eating or drinking as soon as I felt full. Good luck

Well it sounds like you have the sausage and egg down, cook then slice the sausage into thin little slices and mix with egg when you scramble it and if you dare try a half slice of wheat toast but if you are not hungry pass on it, you can also try a piece of soft fruit, peach, melon, plum but only a little peice, then a snack would be a shake, lunch would be some shredded cheese on refried beans or some tuna with 1tsp mayo +/- and 1 tbs, pico degallo for flavor (you can omit if you want) and a pice of cheese 1oz. then for mid day snack a shake or cottage cheese or yogurt, for dinner I would have 2-3 oz turkey or lean beef burger w/ 1oz cheese on it and 2 tbs steamed veggies, and if I was hungy before bed I would have some yogurt, cottage cheese or a shake. At week 6 I started adding more foods like mixed nuts, protien bars, pork chops, beef steak, chicken. For other than protien foods I added potatoes (if you already arent having them), rice, corn, different fruits, tortillas, and other veggies. You really won't feel hungy for a while so count your protien and fluid intake, they shoud be in the neighbohood of 60gm and 64oz respectively and remember no fluids at least 30 min before and 45 after meals, that is very important to remember. Pat has some good meal ideas also, she is a little more creative than I am but I have always been a meat and potatoes guy, a lot les on the taters now adays:rolleyes:. Hang in there and start exparamenting with some of the foods you are eating and let us know what is working for you. :cool: Tom

HI TwoMas Tom
I just wanted to say"thank you" for you've always been so supportive of everyone and you offer great advice, I think it's great to have so many friends on here who truly consider there fellow man with such warmth and kindness and I just wanted to say"thanks' you offer adivce and good responses to all of us.
Hope everything is going well for you,
Donna

Thank you Tom I will try this. Wow 0435 that is pretty early you must be an early bird, I did try timing myself with my meals today and last night the feeling in my stomach feels a little better and no fluids for a half hour before or after. You all are great thank you so much. Have a good day!

NEWRNYPATIENT-Welcome to the forum. In the beginning I couldn't finish a whole egg. Just eat part of it and feed the rest to your dog if you have one *LOL* My beagle, Molly, gained 5 pounds because she was getting all my leftovers and I had to put her on a diet ;) Just eat smaller meals but eat often enough so that you are getting at least 60 grams of protein each day. As time goes by you will slowly be able to eat a little more each meal. Remember, protein is essential to help you heal from surgery and to keep you from losing muscle so make sure to keep track. And as several people have already mentioned, make sure to drink your fluids. Ounce for ounce protein shakes, sugar free Jello, popsicles and pudding count towards your daily fluid goal. 80% of weight loss surgery patients who return to the hospital through the emergency department are there because of dehydration so make sure to get your fluids in every day. Just sip slowly throughout the day and don't go anywhere without something to drink!!!

It was only 145 I had just gotten back from the lake watching fireworks, It was an awsome day! :cool: Tom

Back