• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello from new bypass survivor.

I had my gastric bypass surgery on Monday, August 26th. I am still on a full liquid diet for another week. I am finding it hard to drink enough liquids. I hate protein shakes at this point in time. I found that if I put a scoop of unflavored protein powder in my cup of broth that it is not all that bad. I can't wait to start the pureed diet next week. I plan on making some really good homemade soups and eating well. I have been trying to walk as much as possible. I have not gotten on the scale as I feel like a week is not enough time to judge my weight. I am still very swollen and bruised. To complicate my surgery, I had a very large hernia next to my stomach that was removed before the bypass. My emotions are running amuck. It seems like every commercial on TV is for food. I know the road ahead will be long and hard at times. I appreciate any and all feedback as I start this uncertain journey.

Kathy

Congratulations on not being obsessed with the scale. And welcome to the forum, too. there is a lot of support here, both in current threads and in old threads.
When a food commercial comes on TV, just look away and think about something else. After awhile you'll start thinking that a Hardee's quadruple thick burger with 8 slices of cheese on it is disgusting--because it is. You will be learning to eat and appreciate real food, not manufactured fast food crap. Good luck to you.

Thank you for the fun feedback. I know all of these emotions will soon pass. I know what got me to the point of needing this surgery. And even though I am a food lover and a great cook, I know I will get through this. I can't wait to start cooking and eating my own healthy food. Being from New Mexico my first pureed meal is going to be pinto beans with some red chili. LOL I can't wait for Monday to get here. :p I know I will find great advise from this forum. Glad I came.

Back