• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello

P_Powell

Seen this site and strove to join. I've battled weight issues for years,and now I've been able to find a good doctor who is going to help me by performing a gastric sleeve on September 7 2012. Right now I'm on my two week liquid diet,which consists of 3 bottles of regular slimfast and 2 bottles of low card slimfast. It's kinda hard because I get to having craving,but I'm sticking to it. Any suggestions on different kinds of zero calorie liquids that I can consume along with the slimfast? Would deeply appreciate it. Thank you, Pat:)

Pat-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on deciding to have WLS. The pre-op diet can be tough but we manage to get through it. I was lucky to only be on mine for a week and was allowed full liquids. I still had a couple of difficult moments.

For the no calorie liquids try iced tea (decaf?), drink mixes like Crystal Light and Hawaiin Punch. You can get both at WalMart in individual packets to make single size servings. I prefer the taste of the Hawaiin Punch brand and it;s only $1 at most WalMarts. I like the Fruit Juicy Red the best (friut punch) and the Orange Ocean is real good too, reminds me of Tang.

Hi Pat P. Welcome. Congradulations. I like the Hawiian punch the best but I am still looking for the elusive Orange Ocean that Pat can find, it must be because it gets shipped to the midwest first:confused: You should also be able to have surgar free jello's and SF popcicles those are two great summertime no calorie liquids. Hang in there the liquid diet was brutal for me too. :cool: Tom

Hello P_Powell and welcome,

I didn't have to do a liquid diet but I would think that as Tom said you sould be able to have the sf jello and icepops. They saved me the first few days post-op. Good luck and let us know how your surgery goes.
Margaret

I haven't made it to the liquid diet part yet, but I find the propel ZERO water flavor packets to be really good. Also the MIO is good and the "sweet tea" flavor tastes just like sweet tea but actually has NO SUGAR which is awesome. All the flavor without the worry! LOL The best of luck to you!!!

Hmmmm...maybe I should open up an on-line store that resells Hawaiin Punch brand drink mix :) :) :) I've learned to look for my favorite flavors evey time I shop and buy them even if I don't need any at the moment. It took me 3 trips to WalMart this month to find the fruit punch. I can't believe how fast they sell out of everything. I'm sure I'm a sight to see poking around the back of the shelves with my cane trying to find my fruit punch and orange ocean *LOL*

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone for their kind welcomes and thoughts. Yesterday I had to be out of town and thought I could make it back before it was time to consume my regular bottle of Slim fast. I was wrong,when I got home,I felt half starved weak and fatigued. I told my husband while we out that I wanted to stop by Walmart and get some zero calorie broth. I drank my Slim fast and drank some Chicken flavored broth,and gracious didn't know how good broth can taste. It with the Slim fast made me feel much better.:D

P_Powell-You might consider taking a small insulated lunch bag with ice packs whenever you leave the house for more than 2 hours. Take along your protein shake, some water and a snack or 2. It makes it easier when you have what you need rather than trying to find something when you are traveling or even running errands. I find this comes in handy even when I make a trip to the doctor, especially if I need to have blood drawn after a 10 to 12 hour fast. I even take one with me when I visit family so I can fall back on something I can tolerate if I get hungry. It also takes the temptation away when everyone is munching on things I shouldn't be eating.

Thank U Pat99 for your helpful advise about bringing things along when I have to be out of town,it is deeply appreciated. I received a phone call from my WLS surgeon's staff telling me I needed to come down for a chem 12 panal. Turned out I also needed to give more blood and do an Arterial Blood gas and different various things. Just normal last minute test to make absolutely sure that my surgery will be safe. I really appreciate a doctor who thoroughly covers his ground before making that first cut. They weighed me and I have lost 5 pounds with 5 more to go before proceeding. As far as I know,all is well,and just 7 days until surgery. I joked and told my family,when I get there,I'm going to tell them "I'm here lets get this "party" started. Hope this finds everyone well and having a wonderful day. God bless you all~~~~Pat Powell;)

Last edited:
hi P_powell WELCOME TO THIS SITE
May I ask what part of MO> you're having your surgery at? me barnes on the 19th of sept, when we had our pre op discussion meeting they told all of us to do 1400 calorie diet, I was expecting to be told to do all liquids,I am thankful allowed to have things other than protein drinks and s/f stuff but it's working the pounds are comming off.It seems cravings like to sneak up on us and it's hard to push them away but we all know in the long run we are gonna be happier people with our new life's,one day at a time, one sip at a time, easier said than done, I know. are you getting anxious to have your procedure done and overwith?I know I am the closer it gets, reality is really setting in,
HOpe you have a good weekend.
Donna

Donna: my surgery is scheduled for Sept 7th at 9:30AM. It will be at a hospital south of me,in NW Missouri. The surgeon has practiced down in the Ozarks and comes with excellent credentials. Itold my husband this morning (Sunday) that I hope and pray that a week from today I'll be setting up and looking forward to coming home.

Back