• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello

KarenLB

Hello,
I am new to this site and thought that I should introduce myself. I have done in depth study on Bariatric surgery and almost had it last year but felt that I was not ready. I started all the pre-op work a few months ago and was scheduled to have my sleeve done in Feb after my surgeon gets back from maternity leave. I learned last week that my insurance in going up considerably starting in Jan so my coordinator has asked all of the patients with this insurance to move everything ahead so we can get submissions in to insurance early. Wow, I am now looking at having my sleeve done by the 2nd or 3rd week of Dec!:eek: I know that nerves are normal and we wouldn't be human w/o them but I have never had general anesthesia before. I have worked in the Operating Room for 5 yr and know what to expect, and the risks that are possible so I am not afraid of that. I just think I am afraid of the unknown.
Thanks for listening.
KarenLB

hi Karen B, i know what u mean i am haveing my surgery this Thursday and i have always been putout completely, but i sure i will do fine. u will as well i know this, hope to hear how ur doing after u have it done. this is a very good place to findout thing's u want to know.

HI Karen, Welcome to the forum. I am 5 months post op sleeve. It was the best thing I ever did. I looked into WLS 10 years ago and just wasn't ready. Anxiety is normal for most. If you trust your doctor and his team, this will help. Ask questions until you are satisfied with the answers. It sounds like you have done your research. Read the threads you will learn a lot as we have all been there. Keep coming back the support will really help. Wishing you the best.

Welcome to the forum, Karen. I'd worry about you if you didn't worry! I hope you can get mentally ready by December, if not, there's no shame in waiting until you are ready. All the best.

Hi Karen,

I had my surgery on the 17th of this month and had never been under general anesthesia before, so I was worried about it. To be honest I was talking with the nurses in the OR as they got things ready, the next thing I know, I'm in recovery. I don't remember a thing and everything went "perfect" according to my Doctor. Nerves are normal, just give us a shout if you feel like you need extra hand holding or reassurance, that's what we're here for. Keep us posted.

Hi Karen and welcome aboard. You've come to the right place if you're looking for answers, support or just a place to vent. Lots of good people here to help you on your journey.

Karen-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on considering WLS. Do yourself a favor and don't rush into this if you feel you aren't ready. Feeling overwhelmed and emotional is prefectly normal though. Almost all of us go through the emotional rollercoaster ride you are experiencing. Through the years I have had a few surgeries, most of them with general anesthesia. It's so safe now that complications are rare. But, you need to be mentally prepared before you have any surgery except in the case of a life threatehing emergency. So take your time, think things through and come back here to the forum to ask about any questions you may have. We will help you out the best we can and even "hold your hand" through the entire process :) :) :)

Back