• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

HELP barely eating...still losing slowly....

NanaG67

Hi everyone. I know I am not supposed to have much of an appetite, but I really feel that I should be getting in more than I am. I am almost 4 weeks post op and yes I am still losing....I lost 3.8 this week. However, I feel that I am not getting enough fluids in. I drink water all day, but I am barely doing 2 bottles, and I am barely eating anything at all. Cottage cheese is difficult, I can do applesauce and sf popsicles I do eat, but not hardly anything. Last night I did have 2 steak fingers from DQ with a few fries...and that was fine, I stopped when I was full and I did chew everything really well. I just worry that I am not getting enough nutrients.

I tried drinking a protein drink yesterday and couldn't handle it, I was getting nauseous from it, and that hasn't happened before. Should I really start worrying?? I am not dehydrated as my urine is usually clear or barely yellow...I do have frequent stools, so I am not sure what is going on with me right now.

Any suggestions??:p

You did good eating the steak fingers as long as they were not fried in oil, as for the fries, not a good idea. Any type of fat can cause pouch / stomach and digestive issues especially 4 weeks post op. I would try not eating anything with fat or oil and focus on lean proteins only and then IF you can eat more after consuming at leat 60 grams of protein then have some of the other foods that are allowed on your meal plan. I guess what I am trying to say in a polite way is that you may have caused pouch / stomach irritation by eating greasy foods and that may be why you could not handle your protein drink. 2 bottles of water is almost 40 ounces and if you are eating popsicles in addition to the water you are probably just making your fluid goal so I wouldn't be worried about that. Ounce for ounce the protein drinks also count towards your fluid goal so you can knock off some of your fluids and protein with the protein drinks. If after strictly following your meal plan for a couple of days and if you still find you can not handle eating then call your surgeon. Give it some time before you treat yourself to an occasional small bite of a "forbidden" food item. Your surgery is still not healed so your stomach and staple lines are still very, very sensitive to irritation from foods that are not on your meal plan.

I think you're doing great with your weight loss Nana, congratulations. Why do you think you are losing weight slowly? Is that what the surgeon or nutritionist told you? I'm lucky if I lose 1 1/2 pounds a week but then again I had my surgery on 2/27/12.

Last edited:
Hi Nana, it took me about a year before I got my appatite it is longer for some and shorter for others, I remember forgetting to eat and getting weak before I realized I forgot to eat:eek: I don't recomend that it took a an hour to recover when I did that and it happened more than once. I think 3.5 +/- puonds a week is really really good so don't worry to much about that your doing fine. Try to stay away from the fast foods for the first year or so I know it is hard so look for the healthy alternatives, they may still be high in calories but baked or broiled is always better than fried, KFC has some good alternatives and taco bell has some other good alternatives since we eat so little they shouldn't be to bad for us. I still stay away from fast food, restaraunts are usually a little healthier and have better choices and the up side is you can usually get two more meals from the left overs:p Make sure to do a protien tally through out the day and use water bottles that have a given quantity ie. quart, litter etc.... Keep up the good work and stay away from the fried foods. :cool: Tom

Thanks Pat and Tom. It's a struggle, especially when I don't have a choice when I go somewhere. Most places don't offer anything I can have. We went to a water park Friday, but you are not allowed to bring in anything, though as busy as they were, I don't think they would've said anything if I brought something in my bag. I am still can't handle most dairy, I am eating grits and oatmeal, and last night I had some wonderful steamed squash while my hubby was having pork chops. I was going to have some mashed potatoes with my squash, but hubby ate all of them...I have issues with cottage cheese and yogurt and getting sick of the same old thing to eat every day....but I know it's something that I have to do.

Good morning, I know how you feel, the first few meal plans are so blah, I don't know when your plan starts expanding to more foods, mine was at 6 weeks I think, but just keep doing your best and soon enough you will be eating regular food just smaller portions. Hang in there your down almost 75 ponds, thats wonderful. :cool: Tom

NANA-I know what you mean about places not having things you can eat and not being able to bring food into certain places. It makes it rough for us bariatric surgery folks. That's why I pack a small cooler with things I can eat and bottled water and protein drinks (and lots of ice packs) and keep it in my car anytime I plan on being away from home for more than 3 or 4 hours. When it's time I go back to my car to eat. Once you're able to have a wider variety of food and can add protein bars and Ostrim Jerky, these things don't need refridgeration and can be easily "snuck" into the places that restrict bringing in food.

I also have major issues with dairy and have to take lactase, I use the generic brands. I don't know what I would do without it since I depend on cottage cheese and other dairy for a lot of my protein. If you use lactase you can add sugar free pudding cups, yogurt and low carb protein drinks to your list of portable foods.

it's not all dairy that bothers me Pat...mostly yogurt and cottage cheese, so I am staying away from them. I did have a small piece of swiss cheese last night, it was so soft and so good. This morning I am going to have a little squash with a scrambled egg, but not adding milk to it like I did the first time, I think that is why I got sick. My son tells me to add milk to make the eggs fluffier, and that is all I was trying to accomplish...I'll let you know how that works out.

I am calling my pharmacy today to see if I can get Omeprezole in something other than a capsule. I have a friend that got hers changed, I just can't handle the taste of the medicine, and I have tried so many different things to hide the flavor with no luck, and I just end up sick to my stomach.

I am calling my pharmacy today to see if I can get Omeprezole in something other than a capsule. I have a friend that got hers changed, I just can't handle the taste of the medicine, and I have tried so many different things to hide the flavor with no luck, and I just end up sick to my stomach.

NANA-I take Omeprezole (Prilosec) too. The way I was told to do it is to open the capsule and empty the contents directly onto my tongue then swallow with water-DO NOT CHEW. The tiny beads are absolutely tasteless unless you leave them on your tongue for more than 30 seconds or bite into one. Try it this way before you make a change. No need to mix with applesauce because as the beads sit in the applesauce they break down quickly and taste bitter.

Thanks Pat, I will try that in a few minutes. I just woke up from a restless sleep, and went out and got on my good old scale. I'm down another 3 lbs...I know I should be happy about that and don't get me wrong I am happy that I am losing, I'm just restless and worried about a procedure I have to have done tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to this at all. On top of that, I was told for the next week at least I am not to do any lifting, no exercise including walking....and I really need that right now. I worry about getting blood clots in my legs. I was at the water park with my daughter and grandkids and have been in pain down my left leg. I know this wouldn't be a clot, because I have had this pain before due to a disc protrusion. Hopefully I can get some relief.

Nana67
good morning, congratulations on your weight loss, you're doing great, the more I read about what we can and can't have to eat, sends alot of signals and messages to my brain,quess it' s normal for all of us have "issues with food, or I should say I DO, I have used food as a "treat" and for pleasure and for being down in the dumps and being quilty of the "I don't care attitude" I am happy to say I am getting better with food for I only have 59 days to get my act together for my surgery will be here before I know it, I bought the sugar free popsciles and they are good and healthy applesauce too, trying to save those for later on so I don't get burned out on them now, my sister is studying to be a chef and she has made me some wonderful beef broth to try now so I can find things to eat and drink and heal. she also made me some homemade brocolli & cauliflower soup, it was awesome.
I hope you are having a good day, I bet you're in smaller size clothes now, I know how good that must feel. I plan to have a yard sale and sell all my old clothes once the weight is off,for I never want to return to this size again. what doesn't sell I will donate to charity. I know when I see"plus size" in the yard sale section of the paper I go to those yard sales first, for I am not the only "plus size lady "but within a year I plan to not be in the "plus size section". keep up your good work, and keep us posted on how you feel.
Donna

NANA-Congratulations on losing 3 more pounds. And good luck with the procedure you are having. We have to do whatever is necessary to keep us on the road to better health even if it is unpleasant sometimes. Unless you are put on complete bed rest after the procedure there are a few things you can do to help prevent clots. Just standing up from a sitting or laying position helps and if you make a trip to the bathroom it will help even more. Or once you are standing up bend at the knees just enough to lift your feet off the ground, sort of a slow marching motion for 2 or 3 "steps". You don't have to go to extremes to get the blood flowing in your legs. Take care of yourself Nana and let is know how you are doing.

Pat, Thanks for the info on the Prilosec...worked like a charm no nasty after taste.

Donna, Some things are smaller, I have a lot of things in my closet I used to wear several years ago that I can fit into right now. I also have a pair of jeans that I haven't been able to wear in 16 years that I am very close to fitting into...they can button, but not zip yet....Food is a test, you just have to try it and see how it reacts. For instance this morning I had 1 scrambled egg with a few pieces of steamed squash mixed in with just a tiny bit of shredded cheese, that didn't bother me one bit. I think last time I ate the scrambled eggs I had added a little milk, which I left out this time. Some dairy I can do, and others I cannot...so it's all a learning process. Just take 1 thing at a time, you'll get there.

I looked at a picture of me from 2003 and I was probably at my heaviest of 296.25...so with my weigh in this morning, I was down another 3 lbs....this puts me at a 50 lb loss, but only 1/2 of that is from surgery. I am still having issues getting around, I have been in some pain. This next week will tell how things go....as I cannot do anything especially exercising per my dr. And since I am in TOPS, I have to keep 1 outfit for what they call the baggy garments parade, to be eligible for this parade, you have to have lost 50 lbs....to walk in the parade at State Recognition Days...for International Recognition Days it has to be 75...either way, I'm sure I will see that by the end of the year.

I found that some times the protine shakes would make me a little sick because the sugar count was to high. One day it would be ok and the next it wasn't just take it slow and pat is right deep fried foods isn't a good idea this soon, you may get in trouble with dumping and belive me thats no fun.

Peggy, I seem to be ok. I think I didn't feel like I was losing, but the weight is coming off. I had lost 12.8 this week, but that was over a 2 week period. My last update was a little off, but it's ok, there is not point in changing it now.

I hardly eat fried foods, if I have to it's only a few small bites. I try and drink protein, sometimes it makes me sick. But I found that EAS AdvantEDGE is really good and only has a few carbs so it doesn't hurt.

As for the protein. I gagged on the stuff I was using right after I got home. Had some samples from my doctor and found out the one I can do! Anyone use Unjury protein? I use the chocolate and it tastes just like nestle's chocolate milk! They also have an awesome chicken flavor protein that I use if I'm not feeling my morning shake. It tastes just like chicken ramen noodles broth. Keep trying! Sounds like you're getting it figured out.

You are doing great keep up the great work. I'm not loosing right now because i'm not exersizing because its 104 out and I walk bad back so I cant do a lot of other exersizing. To be honest i'm just being lazy. My hubbie is worried about me and I get mad because hes right I'm not doing what I should be doing. I am giving myself one more day of Lazing around and I will start my Walk and be fit CD. Again keep up the good work its all worth It. I went from wearing a size32 pants to a size 12, the last time I wore a size twelve I think I was 12.

Peggy, don't feel bad...I'm not getting any exercise right now either. I have a small home that is very crowded, and just like you, I refuse to go out in triple digit heat! It is supposed to get to 103 with a level orange air alert....which is not good....Have you tried Leslie Sansone walk aerobics?? It's a good one, I just can't get into the groove of things, I do better if I can go to the gym, but we don't have an extra vehicle and a sitter to help with those things

NanaG67 hi how r u? happy to read about your up comming parade sounds like alot of

nanaG67
hi sounds like you are doing well, I know how exciting it must be to be able to wear clothes you haven't worn in a long time, you can do the "happy dance" when you get those jeans to zip, I know that is one of my goals for I have 3 different sizes of jeans I used to wear just 2 years ago I got down to the smallest I had been since high school and I know I'll surpass that goal too, for I am determined. since seeing the surgeon in may the pound s have slowly but surely comming off, my surgery date is fast approaching so I am being more food conscious of my eating habits and adding more protein, I am finding out that trying to get 80 grams protein just from food is a joke, must rely on powder protein to get a huge amount at one time, but it's all gonna be worth it.
I think your parade will be a fun time for you and so many others and also a great way of celebrating if you are able to take pics and share it would be uplifing to others too.
keep up the good work before you know it those jeans will be too big and you'll be another size smaller, happy days again.
take care my friend
Donna

Back