• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help.....which protein shake should I use??

My dietician said that I can use the whey protein to have shakes, but I also know there's some premixed drinks out there too.

What do you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Rebecca....I found "Pure Protein" shakes great! I still have one a day and they have 35 mg's of protein...they also have some with 20 grms of protein...they also have protein bars...all are very tasty! Good luck!

Shakes are a matter of personal preference, I think. I use the whey protein recommended by my surgery center which is UNJURY. I keep on hand The Carb advantedge by EAS purchased usually at Walmart (recommended by another Forum member) and Premier which they sell at SAMS. They are both premixed and are very handy like when I travel or can't get all my protein in so I supplement. Also some of the shakes on this site are great for traveling. I like the fruity flavored ones. Whey protein is best and most recommended and I surely try to use them the most.

Sometimes you have to go through a few before you find one that you like after surgery. Tastes have a habit of changing after surgery. Everyone's tastes are different.

Carol

Today is your surgery. I will keep you in my thoughts. I use unjury unflavored for a number of reasons. I don't tolerate anything with artifical flavors which most of the pre mixed have. I keep some at work and home. A scoop is 21 grams of protein and I mix it with skim milk for breakfast which gives me another 13 grams of protein. You can also mix it in soups and oatmeal just make sure they are not super hot, or it breaks down the protein. All the above are good suggestions. I think Atkins does a premixed with a fair amount of protein per serving. Sending you healing vibes. What a way to bring in the New Year!

Rebecca,

It's all personal choice. I see your surgery is today. My thoughts are with you. I look forward to hearing how it went and how you are doing post-op. I like the muscle milk. I require an additional 70g protein a day because of my circumstances, so I go for the stronger drinks. I can't have much dairy so I just mix it with water in a blender, with ice, fruit, a bit of vanilla flavoring and then I have to pour my nasty liquid protein in it...ewwwwww. Such is life. ;)

I suggest you only buy a single or maybe 2 of each of various types to try them out before you go and spend a lot on the bulk versions. It's a booger when you buy some and you can't drink it. Regardless, feel it out. Listen to suggestions, then pick out what you like best.

Be safe and hang in there.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. I have found that my tastes have already changed. I've tried to eat some sugar free jello and now it's just "too" sweet for me to eat. I'm glad that I can mix the protein powder with other things, because with just milk would get old.

Now correct me if I'm wrong. Women in my program are supposed to get 65gm of Protein daily. As long as you get the 65gm in a combo of food and shake, it doesn't have to be ALL shake correct?

Rebecca...again...ask your Doctor...it should be in your paperwork and drilled in to you prior to the surgery. My Doctor recommended 100 mg's

Well I get mine at walmart mix it with fat free milk and it tastes great. I can not believe this though I hate chocolate now. Its so nasty to me. Taste does change]

Rebecca, check with your Dr for the total protein he recommends. As far as how you get it, it can be a combination of shakes and food, all food or all shake. Just be sure to get the protein in, as you may not lose weight if you don't.

:cool:

After trying several protein drinks that tasted awful, I discovered Iso 100 (non-gormiet variety). You purchase it at GNC or other vitamin stores. It's packed full of protein and tastes "exactly" like a chocolate drink. I'd almost given up on finding a protein drink that tasted good until I found it. I highly recommend it.

hi Rebecca i have tried many , the one i like best is sold in Rite-Aid and Walmart its called AES Myoplex CARB CONTROL it comes in french vanilla and chocolate fudge , both are pretty good

Unjury has some good unflavored that you can mix with your favorite drinks-just have to be careful with hot drinks as it has to be below 140 degrees or it clumps-I know I have done a clump one before. Yuck. that was a definite throw a way!
I just mixed it with Low sodium V8 juice and it mixed good-but, you really have to mix the stuff good. Tastes good and makes it another option for me to use. I dislike alot of the protein drinks out there.

Carol

So far I have only tried Syntrax and Unjury. I like them all, but my surgery isn't until the 28th. I'm reserving judgement until after that. Carol, is that a new picture? You look so thin! :)

Back