• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

help

im two weeks after surgery. all is going well ive had alot of energy untill now all i want to do is cry. im not in pain diet is going well any ideas/

Sorry to hear that you want to cry. My Dr. told me to expect some depression in the early part of this journey. You might talk to your Family Dr. about this. Good Luck...I'll be thinking of you.

Hi Babysitter44, it is not uncommon for us to have some depression after having ANY kind of general anesthesia. They are not sure exactly why this happens but they do know that for any of us that have had bouts of depression in the past that we have again have difficulties post-op from WLS. One thing that will definately help will be your exercise as that will lift a depression to some point but you need to speak to you Dr and not let this go any longer. Sometimes just having a little boost post-op is all that you need to lift your spirits again.
Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. Keep reading and like the rest of us, you will learn that we are all alike in one way or another but that we are here to help you through this.
KarenLB

Hi There,

It's so true regarding depression and the feeling of wanting to cry. Our hormones do change after the surgery, and also not eating as much and seeing others eat whatever they want can be quite a challenge. I remember my doctor indicating that you can have buyer's remorse once the surgery is done. When I first removed my bandages off of my incisions, I cried and said what did I do to myself? I cried a bit and it's an emotional time since you're adjusting to your new life, and mourning your best friend, (food). You'll get through it and will not feel so bad as you begin to heal and take better care of yourself. My family gave me all the love and support I needed in those trying times. I went through a lot of emotional changes as I was healing, but came back stronger and better than ever! It's going to be worth it in the end! Hang in there!

Hi Babby sitter, Welcome. It is normal to have a rush of different emotions, I had regrets and remorse for a couple weeks and felt like it wasn't going to work, but the emotional rollercoaster is part of most of our journey, just do your best and if you need to cry just do it, I did. You can always come here and vent when you need to, we are always here to listen and we do understand how you are feeling. Hang in there you are doing great. :cool: Tom

Hi, i had my surgery on 10-25. this past weekend I was in tears many times. very unlike me. this doesnt make your tears go away, but know that you are not alone.

Babysitter44,
I completely understand! I had sleeve surgery 2 weeks ago. I have secretly said that I wish I had never done this! I am slowly gaining energy and am not eating mushy foods(so it somewhat better) I feel like I am all alone while my family enjoyed Thanksgiving. I am normally an emotional person, but now I can just sit and cry for no reason. I hope once I can be semi-normal this feeling will go away.

Women store estrogen in fat. As u lose weight rapidly this estrogen is released causing large fluctuations in ur levels. Its no wonder we are so emotional.

I have been where you are! For me, that has been the only that I had trouble with. I cried alot the first 3-4 weeks post-op. Again, its the disconnnect with food, its the extreme weight loss, and also the loss of your best friend that got us where we are in the first place, FOOD. From the minute I left the hospital I wanted a cheesburger. That craving didn't go away until about a week ago. Now, I am starting to eat a little meat and decided to have a cheeseburger only mine consisted of no bread, fat free cheese, pickle, tomatoe, dipped in mustard and a little ketchup. It satisfield my craving and now I stopped thinking about it and it really wasn't that big of deal to me now. The emotional side of WLS was bad for me too. Now, its been almost 3 months, my emotions have calmed down considerably, I'm beginning to eat some normal type foods, low fat, low carb, etc, and I've lost 57 lbs. I feel great and have no regrets. These emotions will calm down, I promise. It was very very hard for me too, but it does get better. Keep you chin up.

yes. but it will take time. while you are still losing rapidly you will still be releasing alot of stored estrogen. your body will adjust and of course the weight loss will slow after awhile. we just have to deal with it along with all the other changes! my 6yr old grandson had his tonsils and adenoids removed today, all went well but I was still in tears all day!

Back