• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi Everyone! I have some questions and some good news

Debbie S

First, off I hope everyone is doing well. I had my surgery on May 5, 2015 and I am coming up on my 3 month post-op date (Aug 5--my daughters birthday). Anyways, my good news is that I am officially 72 pounds lighter!!! I am hoping i can lose a few more pounds by my next appointment date (Aug 10).

I think I am doing good because i have been helping a friend clean houses and man oh man is that a lot of work. I am moving every muscle--almost better than going to the gym.

Now my question(s) are:

Is my weight loss normal or should i have lost more?

I drink anywhere around 70-100 ounces of water a day-- is this okay? I know they want us to be at 64 but Im worried about too much intake.

Finally, what can i expect for the next 3 months?

Thanks!

First, off I hope everyone is doing well. I had my surgery on May 5, 2015 and I am coming up on my 3 month post-op date (Aug 5--my daughters birthday). Anyways, my good news is that I am officially 72 pounds lighter!!! I am hoping i can lose a few more pounds by my next appointment date (Aug 10).

I think I am doing good because i have been helping a friend clean houses and man oh man is that a lot of work. I am moving every muscle--almost better than going to the gym.

Now my question(s) are:

Is my weight loss normal or should i have lost more?

I drink anywhere around 70-100 ounces of water a day-- is this okay? I know they want us to be at 64 but Im worried about too much intake.

Finally, what can i expect for the next 3 months?

Thanks!

Congratulations Debbie on your terrific weight loss! AWESOME!!! Whatever you are doing, diet and exercise, keep it up!

I think the reason you are drinking more liquids is because you are working very hard and your body is needing the extra liquids to stay hydrated. Trust your body. Cleaning houses is a lot of work I'm sure!

Everyone's metabolism is different and will lose weight at a different rate. Your weight may slow and hit plateaus soon but maybe not yet. Just keep on track and you will continue to lose! If you do hit a plateau just know this is perfectly normal and don't get discouraged.

Keep up the great work!!!

Cheyenne

I also have a questions...I am 2 weeks post op today. Surgery was 10/12/15. I have lost only 7 lbs. and wondering what I am doing wrong....any suggestions?
TIA..Karen

I also have a questions...I am 2 weeks post op today. Surgery was 10/12/15. I have lost only 7 lbs. and wondering what I am doing wrong....any suggestions?
TIA..Karen

Hi Karen! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

During the surgery, they pump you full of fluids. I came home pounds heavier than when I checked in the hospital for surgery. It will eventually flush out of you. Takes about 3 to 4 weeks to get out of your system.

Good luck!

Cheyenne

10 weeks post surgery and I have low loss and high loss weeks. I have started eating salads and that has really helped with my bowels. I chop them up really well.

Give it time Karen. I stayed the same weight for a week or two then suddenly I'm done. It depends on how much water you drink, exercise, food intake and your body. I am pretty active so i get discouraged if i am not losing constantly, but then when i do check i am proud to see a weight loss. I used to look every day at the scale but that drove me nuts. Just do as your doctor said and you will be fine. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I am discouraged but have an appointment on 11/11 so will ask the dr and dietitian then if I need to do something different. Is it possible that the surgery didn't "take"? May be a dumb question.

Thanks everyone. I am discouraged but have an appointment on 11/11 so will ask the dr and dietitian then if I need to do something different. Is it possible that the surgery didn't "take"? May be a dumb question.

The sleeve surgery just simply limits how much you can eat at a time. It doesnt change your metabolism. When you eat less you will eventually lose weight.

I had the bypass and my stomach was made smaller plus my intestine was re-routed to not absorb as many calories. My weight came off much easier than I thought it would. Everyone loses weight at a different speed depending on your surgery type, your individual metabolism and how well you follow your diet.

Try not to be discouraged. Talk to your surgeon and nutritionist.

Good Luck!

Cheyenne

Back