• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi from the mitten state :)

Hi, I'm Cindy and I'm living in beautiful Michigan, lower part of the state. :) I'm new here (obviously) and am re-starting a journey and looking to hook into the world of wls again.

I had a vertically banded gastroplasty in January 2003. I went to a doctor not near to where I lived at the time and had the surgery, no real education other than "6 weeks of liquids, 6 weeks of semi-solids and then phase into regular foods and get 60 g of protein." No support groups, no anything really. Needless to say I had issues over the years with vomiting and eating regular foods, driving me back to my comfort foods and here I am almost 10 years later having gained most of my weight back.

I moved to this lovely state almost 3 years ago and about 6 months ago I started seeing the shrink who evaluates local candidates for weight loss surgery. She's helped me hook into the local support group, the nutritionist and I've been to seminar. I'm hoping insurance and the doctor will agree to a RNY as a revision to what I previously had. It's a long haul, but I'm optimistic. I've gotten more on track with vitamins and protein and I'm working through some issues and actually learning more about surgery and the way of life one has to lead to be successful with wls.

Thanks for listening... reading. :)
Cin

P.S. I'm also excited because the Bariatric Center is a Center for Excellence. :)

Last edited:
Hi Cindy, welcome to the forum. You will find a great group of people here who are very non-judgmental. We are here to support you and answer any questions you might have. Feel free to ask anything you want. I haven't found a topic that hasn't been discussed openly and honestly. Good luck in your journey, I pray that the insurance company agrees with your doctors. You sound ready this time.

:cool:

Hi and welcome to the forum. It's sad that you were given so little information. I don't see how someone could be successful with no support and no guidelines. I hope the second time around for you is different. and there is a LOT of information about WLS on the net plus face support. Good luck to you.

Hi Cindy,
Sometimes it feels like forever for things to move along. It took 11 months for me to finally have the RNY done. It's been almost 8 weeks since surgery, and even with the little things to get used to, it has been worth the wait. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions or share any feelings or doubts you might have. The people who are on these forums have been very supportive and it does help to hear others outlooks on the surgery and after. Hope to see you again on here soon. Barb

Cindy-Welcome to the forum. I'm also from MI and have lived here my entire life. I had my surgery at St. John Oakland / Macomb which is also a Center For Excellence facility. I'm looking forward to reading your posts and following along on your journey.

Hi Cindy, I'm Susie q also from Michigan , I had my surgery at forest hills Bariatrics hospital in Ypsilanti, Michigan , I live in Brooklyn, Michigan I wish you luck in getting approval for your new life ...

Thank you all!! I'm a bit excited and nervous. I have my first appointment with the doctor on January 10th. They do shared group appointment for at least the first one, not sure about more than the first. I've been working in the workbook I got. Kind of cool and kind of depressing. LoL!! It's the Weight Loss Surgery Workbook. Kinda figured going to get it right this time, if I'm granted a revision. If not, it'll still help me! :) The support group I have here is awesome.

I live in SW Michigan, Kalamazoo/Portage area. :)

Thanks again.
Cindy

Back