• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi, I'm Colleen

under300

Hello! I'm glad I found this forum. I had my gastric bypass on February 13th and I am doing my best to keep with the program. I have read some about others having problems with the protein drinks, I'm relieved that I'm not the only one. I force myself to drink it, it was a problem before my procedure and is still nausiating today. My pschycalogical health over this issue is a worry. I suffer from depression, but before my surgery date I was in good shape but now I find myself feeling hopeless and without choices. No doubt, I am a recovering food addict going through withdrawl. I would love to connect to others who have surpassed this trying period in my post-op and learn of how you dealt with it. :confused:

Hi Colleen, I am Tom. Welcome to the forum there are a lot of great support folks here. Make sure and check out the food and nutrition links on the main forum page. My biggest problem was getting an appatite post op, even when I thought I was hungry I wasn't, so I relied on shakes and protien bars my first year to assure I got enough protien, I did have to try a lot of differnt shake mixes befor I found one I liked, Choco Rite is what I have now, I found it on the bariatric choice web site, they hav 4 flavors; bannan, strawberry, cappuccino, and chocolate. I did have a little depression and buyers remorse for a couple of weeks after surgery but that passed as soon as the scale started dropping and my new lifestyle started working. It is a life changing event that we had and we all took a lot of thought and soul searching when we decided to do this, remeber you are not alone, try to make it to a local support group if you have one, I go once a month to mine. You are doing great, you have already lost 60 lbs. Let us know how thing a going. Take care. :cool: Tom

Colleen I was the same way when I first had my surgery. I wondered what in the heck I had done to myself. Once I could start eating things that had taste again I felt muh better. I like Bariatic Advantage chocolate and orange creme. My favorite tho is Sams Premiere protein drink. It has 30 grams of protein. It is thinner than most protein drinks. I really like it a lot. I don't know if Walmart has them or not. There are also protein drinks that are fruit flavored that are supposed to be good.

Thank you for the ideas and the assurance that things will get better. I am almost done with phase 2 and by Thrusday I begin a better phase that allows an easier time collecting protein for the day. I hate the protein drinks with a passion, it's a nessesary evil for me. Right now anything that is flavored chocolate or vanilla etc...(sweet) is a turnoff.

Thank you for the ideas and the assurance that things will get better. I am almost done with phase 2 and by Thrusday I begin a better phase that allows an easier time collecting protein for the day. I hate the protein drinks with a passion, it's a nessesary evil for me. Right now anything that is flavored chocolate or vanilla etc...(sweet) is a turnoff.

Have you tried an unflavored protein powder? Unjury makes one that you can barely taste. Try mixing it in chicken, beef or vegetable broth or bouillon. You can mix it in almost anything like hot cereals, instant mashed potatoes, low fat cream soup, etc. Just visit the Unjury website to see their products. I heard the cheese sauce is excellent but haven't tried it yet. I have tried the unflavored, chocolate, vanilla and strawberry sorbet and all are excellent.

HI Collen
WELCOME, I haven't had my surgery yet, going through the process, but I must admit I've had some of the same feeling you are dealing with now, Especially on the days when all I seem to want to do is EAT, I 've been practicing with broths, smaller portions you name it. Everytime I eat something I think" I may never have this food again" kinda freaks me out but I know in the long run, once the surgery is done and I start seeing weight drop off and know it's permanent that things will look different to me, I too hope the urge to want to stuff my feelings down with food will dissapear, I also know the mind has to go through changes too in order for new habits to come about. I will gladly listen and love meeting new people whom have already had there surgeries and learn from them. Did your doctor make you loose weight before your surgery? Looks like you've lost alot already, congratultions on that. only lost 6-7 lbs here, I have a long ways to go, as I anxiously await my surgery date.
Newbie here, Donna

SweetMama
hi where did you find unflavored protein drinkS? I love water and I have been looking for some I can put into water. Right now I have a protein mix you add to skim milk, Since I am not a big fan of milk, water is my main drink all the time. Do you know of any site 's that offer sample kits of different proteins? Everyone say's your taste buds can change after surgery, did this happen to you? Have you lost since your surgery?Thanks for allwoing me to ask so many ? I appreciate anyone whom can help me with these issues.Wishing you continued success on your new journey to a healthier you.
Newbie, Donna

SweetMama
hi where did you find unflavored protein drinkS? I love water and I have been looking for some I can put into water. Right now I have a protein mix you add to skim milk, Since I am not a big fan of milk, water is my main drink all the time. Do you know of any site 's that offer sample kits of different proteins? Everyone say's your taste buds can change after surgery, did this happen to you? Have you lost since your surgery?Thanks for allwoing me to ask so many ? I appreciate anyone whom can help me with these issues.Wishing you continued success on your new journey to a healthier you.
Newbie, Donna

Hi try these two sites, I like the choco rite from bariatric choise it just mixes with water but baritric pantry has sample packs. let me know what you think if you try them.
http://www.bariatricchoice.com/ and http://www.mybariatricpantry.com/

Keep up the good work, I remember wanting to eat everything before I was approved for surgery, I even gained 5 lbs between on of my pre op visits:rolleyes:
Hang in there :cool: Tom

Hi. I agree with the Unjury protein mix, I haven't had the surgery yet, but I have a friend who had the lap band and has lost 100 lbs so far, and I was given samples of the unflavored Unjury protein, you would never know you were getting it, there is no taste to it so it won't affect whatever you are eating.

Also if you are looking for a support group to help you through the rough times, try www.TOPS.org they have local chapters all over the US and are awesome. They have weekly meetings, incentives, awards, contests and are a great bunch of people. And they don't judge, they have all types of people, those trying to lose weight naturally or with weight loss surgery. If you go to the website, you can type in your zipcode and it will show you the chapters closest to you. Good luck with everything. We are all here for you!:cool:

Back