• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi, I'm new here!

Hi everyone
I just found this forum and I'm so thrilled to read other people's stories and questions. I'm on the path toward surgery and I find that sticking with my dietician's (and psychologist's and doctor's and surgeon's) rules can my hard. Some aspects of the diet I'm trying to follow seem counter-intuitive. I'm supposed to be sticking to "mechanical eating", which means meals spaced four to six hours apart and nothing in between, also, eating within 90 minutes of getting up. Both of those things are new to me. But I'm plugging along, some good days, some bad.
I have multiple obesity related conditions - in fact, I think I have the whole list: diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis - and also depression (which my GP thinks would be helped by exercise, but currently I can't walk a block without collapsing). I'm taking prozac for the depression. Does anybody know what I can expect with depression post-surgery? I won't be able to swallow a pill for it and I don't think prozac comes in chewables, so, what? Cold turkey? I'm a little nervous about that, since I know surgery itself can trigger depression, even without a tendency already in place. I also know that my success with managing my eating, my healing, and my well-being after surgery is going to depend heavily on having a good attitude. Anyhow, it's all going to be a fantastic adventure. I'm glad I found you guys so I don't have to do it all by myself.

Welcome aboard hopesprings, Exercise is key. Take it slow and build yourself up. The more you exercise the easier your recovery will be guaranteed!

Cheers

welcome to the forum. You sound like you are on track. One foot in front of the other and before you know it you will be beginning a new chapter in your life.

Hello! I am new here also. Those are good questions. I also suffer from depression and I am on a lot of meds! I hope you get some answers to these questions. Let me know if you do! Thanks

Hi there. I do not suffer from Depression, so I cannot know what you are going through, but I do follow a blogger, who's been where you are at. Check out her story on Bariatric Beginnings, I find her story and her continued journey an Inspiration to me. I hope it helps some.

Frank

:cool:

hi hopesprings,
I am also new here. We have quite a bit in common. I have arthritis, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, depression add in bipolar and degenerative disk disease and tah-dah that would be me! I have not had my surgery scheduled either, still jumping through my hoops of requirements.
My doctor has not mentioned to me that I will not be able to swallow pills...I currently take 4 twice a day.
Since you can not walk without collapsing, might I suggest a few things to do at home? Instead of trying to walk around the block, get out of your chair during commercials and walk around the house during those. This way you will be able to build yourself up slowly. it will be extremely important to walk right after you have your surgery. you really must try to start now. It is better for you, so as you don't give up before starting. 5lb weights next to your chair during commercials....I am not trying to insinuate that you watch tv a lot, I am saying that as an example. Never cold turkey on anti-depressants, that can kill you. Your body will not know what is happening. Talk to your family doctor about that, ask what can be done. there might be time to ween you off prior to surgery. Keep me posted. Maybe we will be scheduled close to same time. Best wishes. xo

Tiffany, were you told that you would not be able to take meds after surgery? I also take 4 meds, twice a day and I was not told that I would not be able to continue with meds. Are you enjoying your shakes and your popsicles? You better be, because you are going to be my inspiration...xo

Welcome! I think the others have summed it up well about the exercise...baby steps :)
As for the medication, I don't have depression, but I was taking pills in the hospital, and when I got home too. Just ask your doctor or NP about this ahead of time.
Hey, Lacey! I'm from Ohio too! Where are you having your surgery?

Back