• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi - new to Forum - Surgery set for August 6

asgcpa

Hi

I am in Illinois. My bypass surgery is set for August 6. Today I started my two week before regiment of liquid meal replacement. This week I finish the last of my pre op tests. I am looking forward to the surgery, but don'k know how my body will react. Can others share their experiences?

Hi Asgcpa, Welcome. It sounds like you are having the RnY but not certain from your post. The first thing I noticed was the emotional rollercoaster I was on when I was just about where you are now and I came to realize this was really going to happen and what I am I doing to myself, then I talked myself down and realized I had tried everything mor than once and I would just gain more weight back:mad: That went on until my surgery, well that and fear, anxiety, nervousness, excitement, joy, fear........ ya all that:p I had a great support group, my three duaghters were wonderfull:D

After surgery when I woke up in my room I was not even hungry but they made me drink little cups of water, I meen little, and a pain pump that I pushed every so often before it hurt and after 24 hours they gave me a liquid pain med, I spent two days recovering and a lot of walking the halls and on day three I went home to finish recovering. I was still on my emotional rollercoaster, but instead of thinking what am I doing I went between "what did I do to myself?!?" and "I am so glad I did this so now I can get healthy and feel good!" That all lasted about a month. I was also very tired all the time taking several naps a day, I tolerated everything I ate that was in my prescribed meal plan and I never veared from what they laid out for me. The hardest thing is balancing the liquid and protien intake to make sure I got enough of both because they are the key to recovery and healing. That my first month or so recovery story I hope that helped you a bit. :cool: Tom

ASGCPA-Welcome to the forum. The only thing I can add to what Tom said is to expect low energy and tiredness for the first 2 months after surgery until your metabolism adjusts. Since you will be having fluids and soft foods for the first 2 phases of your meal plan your calorie intake will be substantially lower than what your body is used to. Between this and the time it takes to heal from surgery it will zap your energy for a short while. As you progress through your meal plan and as your body heals and you start getting adequate amounts of protein you will regain your energy and start feeling great.

Welcome to the forum. I also am pre-op, so can't help you with what it feels like post-op. Just wanted to say that this is a good, low-key forum with lots of good people that are willing to share their experiences with you. Hope you will continue to come and share your experiences with others.

Hi and welcome. I had the gastric sleeve so I think our recovery time will be different. I originally thought I would be back to work in 3 weeks, but it took me 5. Some days I am really tired. I am 7 weeks post op today. My food plan is different than the bypass as well as my ability to swallow pills etc. I think the best advise I can give is listen to your body and work with your doctor and nutritionist. Also if your program has a support group go to it you will learn a lot. Wishing you all the best with your surgery. Let us know how you are doing.

Back