• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi! Newbie to this site but had RNY in 2005

Welchen

Hi,

New to the site and hoping to find fellow "graduates". Need to get back on the ball as far as protein, vits, meds, exercise, etc. Would love to find a group that I could bounce ideas off of - I sometimes find myself educating doctors about the procedure and the issues that have come up. Would be great to get advice from others.

I've regained a lot of my initial loss of 130. I've got oddball medical issues and another birthday rolling up on weds. Good time to restart.

My biggest mistake? Taking the honeymoon period for granted. My advice? Educate yourself, advocate for yourself, and address some of the reasons why you needed the surg. in the first place. ALSO KEEP UP ON YOUR VITAMINS AND YEARLY TESTS - sorry to shout that but trust me...it's very important. Educate yourself and create a notebook to keep the bloodtests and track em. The further you're out from the surg. the more your body will adapt...poor nutrition can make you very sick, rot your teeth, give you ulcers, kidney stones, thyroid problems, hormonal issues, you name it.

I'm hoping to find a few friends and maybe start a local group. I find that many of the local groups end up being sales pitches rather for the surg.

Another piece of advice - find something to replace the food in your life. I found a good site for local groups meetup.com. A lot of different types of groups. Just put in your zipcode and maybe find a bariatric group.

Sorry, I just ment to say hi - not preach.

Happy Monday everyone!

Deb

DEB-Welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a very educated group of pre and post surgical "graduates". A lot of us have multiple medical issues and we even have a few people who have had their surgeries 10 years ago when the only option was an "open" gastric bypass. All of us were required to attend extensive nutritional classes and the seemingly endless pre-surgical testing, psych evaluation and follow up testing. Feel free to bounce ideas, ask for and offer advice. We try to help each other as much as we can in a non-judgemental manner.

I'm a bit curious about why you have to educate doctors about the procedure and the issues so if you care to elaborate I think you will have a captive audience. You mentioned interest in starting a local group. What area are you from? Looking forward to hearing more about you and your journey :) :) :)

Hi Deb, Welcome. This is a great place to come for support, follow this link you may find it helpfull; http://www.americanbariatrics.org/content.php/80-Roux-en-Y-Gastric-Bypass-5-Day-Pouch-Test Others here have done this and it seems to be working, you are not the first to slip and start gaining weight back. But you still have the tool however the weight wont come off as quickly but if you start back on a program of a monitored meal plan and exercise the weight will come off. There is a page on this forum that is dedicated to support groups in every state and canada so if you know of any good local support groups please post them on there or if you are looking for one you can check there also. I am luck that the bariatric center where I had my WLS sponsors a support group that any one is welcome to no matter where they had their surgery and they do not pitch for or sell any particular items by any company, I have found it very helpfull the facilitator is an expert in nutrion and exercise for bariatric patients and is a paid staff member of the team, he travels here to Yreka and up to Grants Pass and of course some meeting in Medford. :cool: Tom

I had my honeymoon period from 2005 till 2008 and thenhad a car accident fracturing my bach. the diet kind of judst wentnaway and I regained 50 lbs. for the past yeat I have bounced back and forth betwee 200 and 195 which is 35 lbs from my goal weigth every day is struggle. the hardestpart is the water. Yes since surgery I have lost 5 teethteet an put on low doseage thyroid. I try to eatwit autione but I really get discourged. However, I had gained up to 215 for a breif period of thime so I am happ that I have los the 15-20 lbs. My scale can vary up to 5 lbs a day depending on what I eat. My eating schedulemis something like this. brl 2 eggs adn a piece if toat with sugar free jam and i slice of bacon. snack orage or aple. today homemade beef stew for lunch and supper. Ihave 2 other peole to cook for in my house and i have t be careful not to cheat. I hate the water..I have been on this trak for9 years and I have so many clohesI an't wear. I just need to donate them to a bariatric group an they can use them. so gla yu have joinethe forum. It is true as I have toldeveryone. keep on trk becase after 5 years your body will readjust and carbs become so easy to please...patti

Back