• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hip surgery

I am not sure that is what they are actually called but if you use that term, people will know what you mean. There may be a proprietary name for them but do not know.

Thanks for all the input. I got a pamplet in the mail yesterday outlining what to expect pre and post surgery. I will meet my anesthesiologist the day of surgery and will discuss post surgical pain meds at this time. I will be wearing pneumatic boots for blood clot prevention. I will be given blood thinners in the hospital and also leave with 14 days of Lovenox injections (blood thinner). I am no stranger to this since I had to self inject for 14 days after my WLS. I will be put in an in-patient rehab facility for at least 2 weeks and restricted from driving for 4 weeks. Since my hip has been "out of commission" for 4 years the muscles will need strengthing and rehab may need to be extended beyond 2 weeks depending on my progress. You can believe that there is no one more motivated than me to get on with the rehab so I can go home as soon as possible.

Planning ahead for meals and shopping is a good idea. Hopefully I can get my niece's to shop for me for a couple of weeks and perhaps even bring me a few meals I can pop in the freezer. They are all excellent cooks!!! There is also a neighborhood restaurant that delivers. My insurance also has a program that provides 10 meals for post surgical patients that require hospitalization and / or rehab so I may utilize that service. Before I arranged for surgery I was seriously considering Meals on Wheels for 3 months just to get me through the bad winter weather and the potential of slipping and falling while getting in and out of the car to go shopping. I'm sure this will remain one of my options but I prefer not to use it. The food is OK most of the time but not bariatric friendly.

The hospital I will be in is a satellite of the main teaching hospital. The plus to having surgery there is that ALL of the rooms are private :) :) :) A second evaluation is really not necessary in my opinion since the CT scan showed extensive errosion of the hip. My surgeon was recommended by my PCP and is a surgeon to the surgeon's, doctor's and their families. He has an excellent reputation as a "miracle worker" and is board certified. I'm feeling more comfortable than I was a few days ago but have to admit I am very nervous, just like before my WLS.

I surely understand being nervous, normal! BUT you are going to say to yourself, "why did I not do this sooner?" the discomfort is much less than your daily pain from the arthritis and erosion. Glad you are doing it, it will change your life, you will be mobile and not dependent on wheelchair. How about the other hip, is it bad? My spouse needs new knees and hips, she already had a knee and hip done and will be getting another knee soon. Knee is harder, longer rehab and some more pain but still not much. You will do fine I am sure, just getting on the other side of it is the job now without too much anxiety!

I had my pre-surgical consult this afternoon. The surgeon decided to postpone my hip surgery until I lose 50 more pounds. I have to wonder why he didn't bring this up 2 weeks ago when I had my initial consult. He was confident that surgery was a "go" and had his coordinator call me 4 days later to set up a surgery date and all required testing. I had to cancel all of my existing appointments to accomodate the surgical related events. Now I have to go through all of this again.

You said you were going to discuss with your doc "I have also heard the opposite. One of my concerns besides the pain is if I will need to go into a care facility for an extneded time for my physical therapy. Unless I am able to get up and down 3 steps and in and out of my car unassisted I won't be able to stay at home when I am discharged. I guess another option is to find a facility that can transport me back and forth to PT or have in home PT. Handicap cab service in this area is a minimum of $60 each way plus $2 per mile which is totally out of the question for me. "
I think your doc is trying to save you having to go into rehab, getting handicap cab service and assoc costs. In addition, heavier people have more complications from hip surgery so why not wait until you are in better shape to have the surgery and come home to rehab with PT etc.
You could talk with him and tell him the pain is too severe to continue and that losing another 50 pounds could take a while given you are in a wheelchair etc. and see if he will reconsider but with all the concerns you have I can understand his concerns too. He has your best in mind I am sure.

Well have seen patients with hip replacement surgery. Some are like ready to get up and go. Others have pain but are up and around in no time. My Aunt had her knees and ayear later she had a hip replacement. It was really amazing because she walked funny before surgery and normal after. Its like our surgeries some of us have a lot of pain and others seem to bear it pretty well. Either way when its all over you will be healed and walking pain free. Try not to worry to much. You'll do fine
I shall remember you in my prayers tonight

Well have seen patients with hip replacement surgery. Some are like ready to get up and go. Others have pain but are up and around in no time. My Aunt had her knees and ayear later she had a hip replacement. It was really amazing because she walked funny before surgery and normal after. Its like our surgeries some of us have a lot of pain and others seem to bear it pretty well. Either way when its all over you will be healed and walking pain free. Try not to worry to much. You'll do fine
I shall remember you in my prayers tonight
hugs,
Angie

Back