• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hmmmmmmm

:cool:
Well it seems to me a awful lot of people do not pay attention to what the teams of weight loss surgeons are saying to them. I saw 2 dietitians and so many other people before the surgery and during my hospital stay. I was given a hand book actually a big binder. I call it my Bariactric Bible, which answers everything I need to know.have several frinds and relatives who had wls and they to have same things. Maybe if they did not get one they should call the doctors office and ask for his nurse she will be glad to help. I think that most of us on here follow directions given to us. We are here to support each other so we have that option also. I am attending my second group meeting. Actually my first went in December and they were having a Christmas party food and everything. I drink the sugar free punch. lol. They divide in to groups acccording to type of surgery and how long etc. Should be interesting. I had a calender but can't find it. They will have speakers sometimes and in April they are having a walk, thought that was pretty cool. Will let you know how it goes. I swallowed gum yesterday. I called the nurse but hopefully its okay was freedent so not sticky. Will call today. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
Hugs,
Angie

The book I received was small 8 pages. My dr office had no idea what book you got. We don't have a team of wl surgeons for each patient. Didn't see a dietitian in the hospital. So, not all of us got the great help you seemed to have received. Wish I had that book. Seen a dietitian in a class of 20 people before surgery. They handed out what vitamins to take and that 8 page book. That was it. so, I can understand when others don't know what to do. And, we don't have any support group close to where we live. So all I have, is this support group. Have a good protein day. Carla

Do you know, is that book... a book that I can buy somewhere. It seems I spend half my time looking up things I can eat that is high in proteins. I'm sure that book is worth it's weight in GOLD!! What did you find out about the gum? Sounds like something I would do.

Angie- I did not receive any book only "handouts". I made my own book of information that I researched and read several books before my surgery and refer to them often as well as searching the internet for answers. My wls team comments on how organized I am. The team consists of a dietitian, mental health and physical planner. We meet and talk but it always seems rushed, every month I take a list of questions. Sounds like you have an awesome team and great to have the interaction that you do!!!

I am still pre-op.but I got a large binder at the start of my 6 month classes. It sounds similar to what Angie got. I know it will be helpful post op, but I feel there are things that I still need to hear from others. Personal experiences go a long way to helping me understand things. Maybe when I am off for my surgery, I will scan these things into a folder, and share for anyone who wants. Just no time right now.

Carla, You do live in the middle of nowhere. I have been down to the Pensacola area-which seems to be the largest city closest to you and it is still a distance-I know they have support groups there. Where did you have your surgery at?

I have a whole Team that I report to and we were given information before the surgery as we got closer through the program and more handouts and then a booklet right after surgery in the hospital along with some goodies.

Carol

I didn't get a big book either, just pamphlets from the various tests and such. I am working on a binder for myself. Adding in things as I find them and even adding recipes I see here and other places. I do need to find a good nutritionist guide for what and how much to eat, as I rarely if ever feel full. Let me add that I also never feel really hungry like I did before surgery. Most of the time I eat because it's time to eat.

:cool:

Carol, I had my surgery in Mobile. And I had 3 wks from the time I seen the Dr to the surgery. but we weren't given anything such as a book, samples, nothing. So, I have used the internet as my bible and this site. I truely wish we got more info. But, we didn't. So, I just deal with it the best I can. Talked to Pensacola Hospital, they used to have a support group but not anymore. Just was enough people. The same with Fairhope, Al. And my husband doesn't feel comfortable of me going to Mobile for the support group. It is at 7pm and I have to drive thru a Bad area. Plus it is an hour and half drive. So you guys are stuck with me. LOL Keep up the great work. You are looking great. Big difference already. Carla

I had my surgery in Pensacola at Sacred Heart Hospital Weight loss surgery center. I did not get a book per se but I attended two classes on Nutrition and the nutritionist has given everyone her phone number. To date I have not needed to call. Also, I had to pass a test on nutrition before she signed off on my surgery. She also often comes to support group meetings. The information I received included how to eat and what to order at restaurants and most of the protein content in foods I was supposed to eat post surgery. I go back and check the info frequently as questions arise. My experience could not have been much better and I have no problems calling any of the staff. They are all so knowledgeable. I miss the support groups many times because they are at 6 PM and the drive over can be atrocious but I have made two or three of them. My center also will share recipes which was really nice for the shakes. Had to take a psych test too and I am not debilitated. Nice to know.

darkpoeticangel and Missirenee.

Who are your surgeons? I live in Ohio too, and will be having my surgery at Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton, Ohio. So far I have only received some handouts from my nutritionist.

I am in Columbus, and I will have my surgery on the 28th at the Ohio State University Hospital. I had to do 6 months of classes for my insurance, and we were given a binder with all sorts of information, which we ended up covering in classes. I'm glad now that I did do those classes. They were very informative, plus I still have all my information on paper.

That is really cool. I had to do a six month medically supervised diet program for my insurance also but it was through my primary care physician. I am currently waiting approval, the six months passed a lot quicker than I thought it would but the two weeks I have waited on word from the insurance seems to be an eternity. I am keeping busy gathering information and support, but I worry about being denied. I am just ready to take the next step.

I found that the Weight Loss for Dummies cookbook has some helpful stuff in it. I bought it from Amazon.

zzvazquuez,
I have replied to darkpoeticangel and she had the same surgeon as i did which is Dr. Siddiqui out of MVH in Dayton Ohio. Don't want to step in but sometimes we don't get on here often and thought you would like a reply asap. I wonder what doctor you chose? I don't know the other doctors but i know Dr. Siddiqui is very good and has great bedside manors and would recommend him for sure. I am complication free and have lost 47 pounds and today i am 2 months out. Best 2 months ever! On my way to the thin person i have had in mind for so many years that i been fighting this battle. Dr. Siddiqui gave me the boxing gloves to fight my battle and win. I will be forever grateful to him!

Back