• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hospital Stay

How long did you all stay in the hospital for post roux en y?

Did anyone use simethicone for gas pain? Did it help?

Did anyone use a PCA?

Any nausea?

Some of my fears I guess. Thanks guys! ;)

I asked last night at a Support Group I went to about how long in hospital. They said they stayed one or two days past their operation day so if they were done on Tuesday they left either Thursday or Friday. One person was so nauseated and sick she stayed til 3rd day. They ALL were glad they did it but some have started to gain weight after a couple of years. Some because they eat too much, one for no reason. I think everyone is different with exercise and walking etc. IF you do not alter your eating habits and exercise then things happen I guess. I have friends who have had the surgery and have done very well!!!!

I stayed for 3 days after surgery but have heard of people being discharged the next day after surgery. Simethicone is pretty standard for post-op gas issues. Although it's not 100% effective it does help quite a bit. I'm not sure what a PCA is so I can't answer that question. Some nausea is to be expected, especially in the early stages after surgery. Your tiny new pouch will be very "angry" with you while it's healing but following the meal plan phases will greatly reduce being nauseous but you can't avoid it entirely. One you progress through the meal plan phases your nausea should stop unless you overeat or eat too fast. I only had nausea twice in the hospital and this only happened when I smelled food wafting through the room when the meal trays were being delivered. The only other time I was nauseous was after eating 1 or 2 bites too much food and this has only happened 2 or 3 times. Once you learn the new signal of what full feels like you shouldn't become nauseous anymore.

Pat, I know the #1 complaint of my bariatric patient's is gas pain or nausea so we usually give Simethicone. A PCA is the pain button the a patient hits that has either Morphine, Dilaudid, or Fentanyl in it, I'm not sure if all hospitals do it or not. I think the thing I fear the most is nausea. I don't like being nauseous. Did you stay in the hospital for three nights or three days? Some of our patient's stay for 2 nights some for 3. I know I am going to be so afraid to go home. Luckily I will have my mother staying with me. I wish I could just fastforward 6 months so I can be past the surgery and onto the healing/losing weight phase. I am so afraid to have surgery :(

Jamie-Sue, The post-op gas is a problem but it gets better over time. I think everyone is hooked up to a PCA. I used my evry 10 or 15 minutes but they take it away after 24 hours. The nausea wasn't all that bad, it passes quickly. The key to avoid the nausea is to eat / drink very slowly and to stop eating or drinking at the first sign of fullness. I had my surgey on a Monday morning and was discharged on Thursday late afternoon. You should do fine at home. I live alone and have a physical disability and did OK. I took liquid hydrocodone and my pain was minimal. I was able to do everything I needed to do for myself and didn't have to call anyone for help. I even managed to go up and down the basement stairs to do laundry within a week.

It's perectly normal to be afraid to have surgery. Just think of how much better you will feel after losing weight. I still have a long way to go to reach goal but I feel so much better now that I am down 88 pounds. You'll be just fine so try not to worry too much.

Jamie-Sue NO ONE likes to be nauseated and it sounds like we will have some but after a little bit we will realize what causes it and we can avoid it. We all get scared, so you are in good company. When are you going to be having your surgery?

Back