• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I Just Want To Eat!

mmccarty

Now that I am feeling better. (One month post opp) I want to eat. Most of it is my addiction with food. I am going through withdraw so bad. I am sick of the constant food commercials on tv. I don't even want to watch tv anymore. I am not feeling hungry all the time. I just want to eat a Big Mac, pizza or just a big meal. I am feeling so agitated and am having horrible anxiety.

I suppose this is a normal part of recovery as we are adjusting to a new lifestyle. Still I can't get my mind off of not being able to eat. I mean EAT! Not 3 bites of cottage cheese or yogurt.

Thanks for letting me rant :)

Now that I am feeling better. (One month post opp) I want to eat. Most of it is my addiction with food. I am going through withdraw so bad. I am sick of the constant food commercials on tv. I don't even want to watch tv anymore. I am not feeling hungry all the time. I just want to eat a Big Mac, pizza or just a big meal. I am feeling so agitated and am having horrible anxiety.

I suppose this is a normal part of recovery as we are adjusting to a new lifestyle. Still I can't get my mind off of not being able to eat. I mean EAT! Not 3 bites of cottage cheese or yogurt.

It seems to me you shouldn't have to deal with these "head cravings" at such a high level. It's so hard on you!

It's worth checking in with your counselor and see what s/he has to offer for "coping mechanisms."

Please let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
Yeah...I get those "head" cravings too. Come out of the blue. So far I've tried to find a compromise....if crave pizza, have pasta with marinara sauce....so far it helps.

My 'Head' cravings on other diets are cookies.....Oh my goodness I can remember sticking my whole head in a zip lock bag of cookies and sniffing. One of our daughters caught me and said...."Mom what are you doing?" Sure am glad they couldn't take pictures with smartphones. This was about 15-20 years ago. Believe it or not just sniffing did satisfy my head craving for that time anyways. Oh the things we do to loss weight. LOL

I am 6 weeks out and have started looking at recipes of what is Bariatric friendly for the future. It has helped a lot with the cravings. I also cut back on tv watching. Usually if I do I watch DVRed shows.

Reasa

Mmccarty-This is a good place to rant and I hope you feel better now. But I can guarantee you that you can not eat a Big Mac because your tiny new pouch will not accomodate that much food at one time. Chances are if you even ate 3 tiny bites of one you will get horribly sick and will wish you never have to look at another one for the rest of your life. It's perfectly normal to be feeling high anxiety one month post op. The hormones that were being stored in the body fat you have lost are wreaking havoc right now and that isn't helping your stress level. Things WILL taper off but it does take some time. You have done a wonderful job with your weight loss and should be proud of you accomplishment. Please don't make yourself sick by making a poor food choice that could cause you serious harm, it's just not worth it. Hang in there, we are all rooting for you.

There should be a few people in the chat room right now so if you read this why don't you join us. Feel free to rant when you are in there :) :) :)

Hi McCarty, I would like to tell you that junk food cravings will go away but I can only say that I drive by taco bell and Carls JR (Hardys) and I tell myself NO NO NO!!! and I drive on by. It also helps to go to support groups to be reminded why we shouldn't eat the junk food and all the stuff that they put in it. Just do your best. :cool: Tom

I can finally talk with someone that understand this as well I has my sugary on 11/6/2012 it was not so bad at first but after several days of seeing everything that you really want to eat on tv it does get really hard. I have to say the worse part is having a family member or a friend eat in front of you or drink something you can have is really hard as well

Hi Melinda, Welcome. I got so tired of all those food commercials on tv that I had to upgrade my Satelite to a DVR so I could record what I watch so I can fast forward through all the commercials, It helps. Go to live support group meetings if you can they help a great deal with all these things that come up like this. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

Thanks Tom I know I can do it but it's hard I love my dvr to haha but just gave up watching live tv. But I can't sit around people drinking or eatting food I really want since I can't even have a bit of any bad food

Hi Melinda, that's my name too. Lol

So you are just as far out as I am. I need to find a healthy alternative to food. Something someone recomeneded to me here is to check out bariatric friendly recipes. I found a few boards on Pinterest. It really helped I have been wanting pizza, so I found a couple healthy pizza alternatives that I am excited to make. It's nice to actually look at food that I can have for a change.

Tonight my inlaws are bringing over pizza. (I feel like they are doing it on purpose because they know how much I am struggling) so I told them that I have a work meeting and I am going shopping. I just cannot be around pizza right now. That is one of my biggest cravings right now.

Yesterday one of my friends that don't know about my surgery asked me to go to lunch. I couldn't come up with an excuse on the spot so I had to go. I had some broccoli cheese soup and I just sipped on it. But I think it was high fat because I ended up having to make an excuse to leave the restaurant because I began to feel sick. Live and learn I guess. Lol

Tonight my inlaws are bringing over pizza. (I feel like they are doing it on purpose because they know how much I am struggling) so I told them that I have a work meeting and I am going shopping. I just cannot be around pizza right now. That is one of my biggest cravings right now.

Yesterday one of my friends that don't know about my surgery asked me to go to lunch. I couldn't come up with an excuse on the spot so I had to go. I had some broccoli cheese soup and I just sipped on it. But I think it was high fat because I ended up having to make an excuse to leave the restaurant because I began to feel sick.l

Hi, Melinda,

I'm sorry you feel you must lie to your in-laws in order to avoid the pizza. In a perfect world, you'd be able to remind them that pizza isn't currently on the menu; please don't bring it.

As to your friend's invitation -- remember that anything with cheese in it is likely to be high fat -- you don't need any excuse. You can simply say, "Hey, thanks. How about a raincheck? I have other plans." And you do have other plans . . . to eat something else, to take care of yourself.

And, even so, you did take care of yourself in both instances. You ordered something from the menu you thought might work with your food plan. And you have removed yourself from a temptation you don't want to (and shouldn't have to) deal with.

Kudos to you!

I now how you feel Melinda, my surgery was just before eastre and I had to watch everyone eat easter dinner and all I could have was my protien shakes and jello:( I felt like they were teasing me but they were'nt, hang in there next year you will be able to have turkey and all the fixens just on a small plate and you may not be able to finish it but you won't feel left out. Your doing a great job. :cool: Tom

Mmccarty-I think you handled both situations well. I've had to decline quite a few invites since my surgery but I just don't feel like eating enough to be able to go to a restaurant. Did you know there is a forum here with some recipies? You aren't that far out from surgery but should be able to use some of the recipes in a short while.

It looks like you are doing very well with your weight loss. Keep up the good work :)

I am now 7 weeks, only thing that really gets to me is popcorn. Drives me crazy. Yes TV loves its food ads, that doesn't bother mr beside I turn on a movie channel or something. Thanksgiving I was worried but it went well I was fine. And not over stuff sleepy and jaid back like everyone else. : ) I get tired of eating certain things but I am not on the 3rd level and more choices. Rant all you want lol that gets it out of your system. Think of how you will feel and look soon. It will be worth it.

Hi DP Angel. I love popcorn but only eat it once in a while, it can be a healthy snack once you can tolerate it. It does get boring eating the having the same thing day after day but I think the hardest thing for me was I just wanted to chew my food and not drink it:( Then when I started on my ground meats and cheeses and lunch meat it was so nice to chew somethng but the great and wonderful thing was I only a a tiny portion 1 or 2 oz of meat less than a 1/4 cup of beans and i was full, strange feeling but great:eek: It will al be worth it have you updated your weight loss yet in your profile? :cool: Tom

Back