• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I M very scared

pjb

my surgery is next thursday and i am flooded with thoughts of no longer being able to eat birthday cakes, have an ice cream cone with my grandkids, etc. Sweets are my downfall. I am always the one who is called upon to bring desserts to family holidays and parties because i love to bake and i am pretty good at it. I am so afraid that i will be one of those people that "eat their way thru" dumping episodes and eventually am able to tolerate sweets again. Any suggestions would be so appreciated.

Dear pjb, You need to concentrate on why you wanted to do this in the first place. Is living a long life and spending time with your grandchildren one of those reasons?
I don't ever remember eating an ice cream cone with my morbidly obese grandmother, but I remember when she had to have her leg cut off from complications of diabetes. I remember when she had her third stroke and could barely speak, but demanded "more cake" after dinner.
If you are a good cook there are many ways you can create healthier snacks for your family that are still festive and fun. Food doesn't have to be all about sugar and high fat oils.

pjb-I also love to bake and continue to do so but not for myself. I make things for a couple of neighbor's who help me out from time to time. I am in the process of starting to experiment with low carb flour substitutes so that I can have an occasional treat without blowing the meal plan. I plan on making a small batch of something, like blueberry muffins, then freeze them for occasional use. But I will continue to bake for my neighbor's and for family functions when I am asked. It doesn't bother me to do this because I know I can have a low carb, high protein snack bar or a piece of sugar free candy if I am craving sweets. If you think you will not be able to control what you eat when you bake for others then you should just tell the family that you can't do this anymore. I'm sure they will understand. The time has come to put your needs first.

Hi Pjb, Welcome. It is ok to be scared of all the possabilities, I know I was:eek: I was afraid it wasn't going to work, I was afraid I couldn't enjoy food any more, I was just plain scared:( That is normal for most of us, But I was even more afraid of having a stroke or heart attack and not making it till my next birthday, so keep your mind on why you are doing this and not about what you will do afterwards it will all work itself out.

Like Pat I too love to bake and enjoy baking for friends and coworkers, at first I really couldn't eat anything but this past year I can have a little bit and be ok:rolleyes:, I also like an occasional surgarfree icec ream or candy, those are much easier on me than surgary sweets. The thing you need to remember is moderation. Your first year you shouldn't have many issues because with most of us we lose our appatites and have to remind ourselves to eat, some of us are even repused by food for a few months, I was not one of those. So keep doing what you need to do and let post surgery work itself out. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

Where you at in Ohio I am from there too. I am having mine MONDAY, I think if you have a dumping experience you might just wake up. You will have to use will power. Good luck

Back