• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I thought this would be faster!:(

desertgirl

I was losing 3 pounds a week for about a month. Now, the second month after surgery, I am losing very little. Last week I didn't even lose an ounce. In the past four weeks I have only lost 3 pounds. What in the world is going on? I am drinking enough, I am eating over 70 grams of protein a day and still nothing. My nutritionist says I am doing everything good. So why am I not losing weight? This is going to be very frustrating. Now if I look at the total I have lost 27 pounds since surgery. Is that good? I really thought I would have been further along. Any words of encouragement? Anyone else experienced this?

My Dr told me that in the next month i may only lose 5-6 lbs or less, he said that this is normal and not to worry, then he said after that you could lose like 20lbs it doesn't all come off at once. Your doing a great job! Congrats on the 27lbs gone. Don't step on the scale everyday only once a week. Keep doing what your doing and add some exercise in there if you can, I'm almost there in two weeks i can start exercising and remember muscle weights more then fat does so maybe you have gained some and lost some fat and the scale will not notice that. YOur doing GREAT! KEEP IT UP:D

Hi Desertgirl
Just keep going and doing what you're doing-we all get stuck sometimes-your body thinks you're trying to starve it and it's trying to protect itself-soon you'll start dropping pounds again and then you'll get stuck again sometime down the road-I did it 5 or 6 times in the 55 weeks I've been post op and now I may be pretty settled at my weight-I'm down a half pound one week and up a half pound the next but I holding at 178-half my old weight.
Take Care-You'll get there !
Ron

It will be! You will be rewarded for your hard work and effort, remember this is just a tool to life long weight loss and good eating habits! :cool:

Desertgirl-I thought I was the only one that stopped losing weight fast after the first month *LOL* I actually gained 2 pounds somewhere along the way :( I have barely lost anything the last 3 weeks and have been blaming myself because I have started eating more calories. The thing is that I am not eating so much that it should cause me to stop losing or to gain weight. I have my second follow up appointment with the surgeon next week and will be discussing this with him. I lost quite a bit the first month but it is largely due to a hyperactive thyroid condition that I have. What is probably happening to both of us is a plateau. I have been "extra" good the last 2 days and I think I may have lost a pound or 2 but my scale fluctuates about 4 or 5 pounds depending on where my feet are and how I balance myself *LOL*. I'm not going to stress out over this because I know over time the weight will come off. I have a feeling that the nutritionist or surgeon is going to tell me all of this is normal. I'll let you know!!!

Hello to All,
I had my surgery January 31st and have only lost 66 pounds, I also feel it is coming off slow. I noticed that a week can go by and the scale only drops by a pound. I find it very frustrating and then I feel as though I am doing something wrong. I see my surgeon for my 3 month on Monday so I will see what he has to say. I know how you all feel because I feel the same.

Dana-66 pounds is a great weight loss. You had your surgery about 1 month before me and have lost 25 more pounds. I'm jealous *LOL* Keep up the good work!!!

Hello to All,
I had my surgery January 31st and have only lost 66 pounds, I also feel it is coming off slow. I noticed that a week can go by and the scale only drops by a pound. I find it very frustrating and then I feel as though I am doing something wrong. I see my surgeon for my 3 month on Monday so I will see what he has to say. I know how you all feel because I feel the same.

Congrats on the 66lbs loss!!! You should be so proud! Remember our bodies have gone through a lot and they will adjust and change and adjust again we will all walk to the slow weight process but get EXCITED about the amount of weight you have lost this far!! who care what the scale says as long as your doing what the DR told you to your on the right track and you will cont to lose weight!!!

Hi Dana, Your doing great, you should be proud of the 60 lbs you lost it is a great feat:D The body need time to go through all the changes. Stay positive :cool: Tom

I feel the same way! Only down 12 pounds from day of surgery (RNY was 3 1/2weeks ago). Expected the weight to be falling off, and it's not. I'm doing everything right with protein, fluids, vitamins and exercise. So frustrating!

I feel the same way, but I know everyone is right. Look at the big picture, don't weigh every day, and just keep doing what we're supposed to. We will get there.

Hi desertgirl, I am feeling you. I am only 6 weeks post op and feel like you do. I talked to my doctor and he said 1/12 pounds a week is what he expects me to loose. I didn't lose a pound last week. I vented my frustration on the site and got a great deal of support from those who have been doing this a lot longer than I have. I am doing everything right as you are and I guess expected differnt results. I know we had different types of surgery, but your weight loss is great from when you started. I know bypass pts have to be on liquid before surgery so I guess you lost a great deal before. Keep up the good work and I will too. Sending postive vibes your way.

DESERTGIRL-My surgeon told me the exact same thing that Kim said, 1 1/2 lbs. a week is considered an average weight loss. You have to look at the big picture and just give it some time. Through the years before surgery I gained a pound or two most months and after surgery I am losing faster than what I gained before surgery. It just takes time so weigh yourself once or twice a week and when you see those numbers go down feel happy for yourself :) :) :)

Back