• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I would like to know how much weight should a person be losing

lovebugs

Hello I had the sleeve done on Fed 27th 2012 and I was wondering what is the amount of weight a person should be loseing I have lost 32 pounds but at a hold .... any advise

Hi Lovebugs, You are doing great. The body is going through changes and we all have plateaus. We start to build muscle and lose fat so sometimes the scale won't show that we are getting thinner so make sure and take measurments, I just kept track of how my cloths fit, as long as they were getting looser when the scale didn't move I was fine. Keep track of your calories and protien intake, if you don't get enough protien your body may want to try and hold onto weight. Hope I was of some help. :cool: Tom

Hello I had the sleeve done on Fed 27th 2012 and I was wondering what is the amount of weight a person should be loseing I have lost 32 pounds but at a hold .... any advise
Hi lovebug
The short answer to your question is Everyone is Different-There is just no other answer-There are so many factors and there is no "chart" to tell us "how much how soon"-they tell us in meetings to follow the plan-take your vitamins-drink your water-eat your protien and the weight wil come off.Remember this is a process that can take 18 months for your body to find the weight you're going to be.
Good Luck lovebugs
Ron

Lovebugs-Like Ron said your weight loss will vary because we are each different and there are also a LOT of variables. I lost 25 pounds the first 3 1/2 weeks but since then have lost very little. Disappointing? Yes. But it was bound to happen as my body adjusts to the extreme reduction in calories and the extreme increase in protein. There was one person who posted in this forum reporting over a 70 pound weight loss in 2 months. I'm thinking that included the amount of weight he / she gained from IV fluids while in the hospital. The fliud weight usually comes off quickly in the first few days. They over hydrate you on purpose before sending you home so that you do not dehydrate during the first few days. By then you are able to get most of your fluids in and good to go. I came home with 24 pounds of excess fluids. This is an extreme case, not the norm. I took diuretics for 4 days and it all came off. I do not include this in the weight loss I report here in the forum.

HI Pat99

haven't talked to you in awhile, how are you feeling? have you ever checked out the website, the world according to eggface? it's great it's a lady chef who had the surgery and she has so many pages of great receipes like you she likes to cook.
weather is cool here this morning suppose to be in 60's this week.
I usually have a garden and this year I am debating if I want to plant one because I don't know what foods my body is gonna let me eat. I love tomatoes and I've always planted at least 5 tomato plants and green beans and green peppers and a few other items. Kids aren't crazy about garden foods, I think I could live off tomato's in the summer. some people say your taste buds change after surgery. and I know I won't be able to just go pick tomato's off the vine and inhale them anymore, but the healthy new choice will be worth it all.
just checking in,
Donna

Bigtallsis-Yes, I checked out the Eggface website. Lots of good recipies. I watn to try some of the different bites made with eggs but I need some motivation to shop for the ingredients then more motivation to actually make them. I'm still going through the post surgery blahs...! I know I have some mini muffin pans around here someplace but haven't used them for years. I used them to make nut cups somewhat like mini pecan pies for Christmas.

You could and should still plant a small garden. It's good exercise and gets you outdoors. I'm sure you will be able to eat tomatos and green beans in moderation. You can't compare store bought tomatos to home garden. I think the ones from the store taste like plastic trying to be tomatos *LOL* I used to live on tomato sandwiches with white bread and lite mayo in late August when my tomatos ripened. I would sit down with a couple of tomato sandwiches and a sliced cucumber from the garden and think I was in Heaven!!! Won't be able to do that anymore but I'm sure I can enjoy a few bites now and then. If I am up to eating salads in the next few weeks I'm planning on planting 1 grape tomato plant in the garden and 1 or 2 regular tomato plants and maybe 1 eggplant. That should be enough for just me with enough to give to one of my neighbors. Greenbeans take too long to pick (I get sunburned quickly) and I have been having problems growing cucumbers the last few years.

Last edited:
Hi lovebugs,
I have had the r-y bypass on the same day and I have lost about 30 pounds. I seem to be losing slowly but pretty consistently at 3 pounds a week. I thought it would come off much quicker. My nurse said that every body is different and everyone will lose at different rates. I hope all goes well with you. Me I am struggling with depression. I don't want to eat or drink anything especially those awful tasting protein shakes. Which by the way do not go down too easy. Keep us all informed.

I am two months out and sitting at about a 45 pound weight loss. A new friend of mine at 3 months had loss I believe 70 pounds! I have a problem of looking at that and wonder why can't I get the eating down right to increase my loss. But then I try to tell myself, 45 pounds in 2 months is great. I know I need to take better care of myself, increase my protein and start exercising mildly.

Back