• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm another newbie and so happy to have found you! All of you!in

rhondar119

My Name is Rhonda, I just had my Surgery Sept. 24th so it is very new to me. I don't know anyone else personally who's had the surgery so hoping to make friends in this support group to talk to. My whole surgery went well. Just struggling with how much to drink and how often and fighting alot of gas! Any one else going through this? Please Share.

Hi Rhonda, Welcome. You should have ben sent home with some post op instructions. For most all of us no matter the surgery type it is recommended that we have 64 ounces of fluid intake a day and around 6o grams of protien. I am not familliar with the sleeve meal plan but there are others here that can tell you what has worked for them. You will probably have to sip water every few minutes to get what you need. Your doing great, looks like your down 18 lbs already. :cool: Tom

Hi Rhonda, nice to meet you!! I don't have any words of advice because I am just beginning my journey but I wanted to welcome you! I'm new to the forums as well but I'm already amazed at how nice, friendly and helpful everyone is! I look forward to following your journey as I continue on mine. Congrats on your surgery!! =)
Brandy

Rhonda-Welcome to the forum. What Tom said is accurate. It's very important to stay hydrated so make sure to get in as much water as possible. You can also drink sugar free, non-carbonated, caffeine free beverages in place of water. Ounce for ounce things like sugar free Jello and popsicles also count towards your daily fliud goal.

Hi Rhonda and welcome. I had the sleeve in June. At first getting all the water down is hard. Just sip all day. Warm at first feels better than cold so I kept my water at room temp. I didn't have trouble with gas. I know that is common especially in the beginning after being pumped up with air for the surgery. Others on the forum suggest Gas X. I hope you are working with a nutritionist who should be able to address your concerns. Getting in the protein, water and vitamins is a priority. Keeping coming back. This forum has provided a wealth of information and support to me.

Hi Rhonda, Welcome. I am also new and have not had my surgery yet. I am having the gastric sleeve too. I am not much of a fluid drinker either so I can understand getting the required amount of fliuds in is hard. I do know that it is very important and I am working on it now. In our orientation it is recommended to sip 1 oz every 10 minutes. That was hard for me to understand. I like the idea of the room temp water suggested and just sip all day from Kim M. Thank you KimM. I had also learned that what ever liquid you have goes towards the required daily amount. I am going to remember that. This is a wonderful place to learn from others. I just joined yesterday and have so many good suggestions that I have read.

Take care Rhonda and hope to share with each other our journey. You can do this!!!!

Other things, ounce for ounce, that go towards your daily fluid goal are protein drinks, sugar free Jello and popsicles, broth, soup, and any sugar free caffeine free non-carbonated beverages you like. Knowing this should put things in a more managable poerspective :) :) :)

It's really not that difficult to get in 64 ounces of fluids each day if you keep something with you to drink at all times and take small sips throughout the day. You may not quite reach your goal for the first week or so but you need to get in as much as you can. It will become easier each day :)

Welcome! Im also just starting this journey and very excited about it! You made past surgery which to me is the scariest part lol

Back