• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm new

millemic

Hi, I had my surgery 10-23-12. I'm doing well but was wondering if anyone else gained weight after surgery and if so how long before you started losing weight.

Millemic-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on having your surgery :) I gained 24 pounds during my 4 day hospital stay. It was fluid retention from the IV's. My legs, feet and ankles were so swollen that it hurt to walk. I couldn't even bend my knees so I needed 2 people to help me get into a car so I could go home. I has soem dieuritics at home that I use occasionally so I called the surgeon to see if I could take them. I was given the OK and lost all of the excess fluids in 3 or 4 days.

Hi Millemic, welcome to the forum. I gained 10 pounds during my two day stay. I was very upset when I got home, until people here told me it's normal. I wouldn't worry about it. In the general chat is a thread called "Things I wish I'd known, part 1" That is a very good thread to read, I learned a lot from it. There is also a part 2 and 3. Part 1 is on page 2 of the General Chat, the other two are there or on page 3. Check it out.

I gained weight during my hospital stay too. Although they told me not to weigh when I got home I did anyway. Not too disappointed though because I expected it after being on IV's for four days. I was still slightly high on my first post op appt but after that it started coming off. Since then I have gained maybe a couple of pounds here and there but it came off fast when I followed the meal plan like I was supposed to. Good luck!

Joy

Back