• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm on my way

Casey623

Hello all, my name is Casey. I've not had my surgery yet, have to finish jumping through the insurance loop holes first. I met with my dietician today for the second time, have to see her 4 more times before my insurance will appove. So, I'm shooting for a November surgery, but won't know for quite some time. Like many I had one surgery picked out, sleeve, but my surgeon choose another, RNY, and because he had some good solid reasons and my insurance has the tendency to not approve sleeve's, I opted for the RNY. Every month I have goals, set by myself and the dietician, to work towards. This month:
1. Continue to work on food journalling. I'm not doing so hot with this, getting better but not there yet...
2. try to walk 20 minutes 4 days a week
3. count my chews, 25-30 per bite
and lastly
4. start trying different protein shakes
I read on a blog somewhere that your tastes change after surgery so you shouldn't try the protein shakes until after surgery, but the dieticain disagreed and wants me to start now.OHH, I'm also to continue to work on cutting caffeine out, still having about 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning and I'm down to 1 glass of diet pepsi a day, like the food journals, getting better but not there yet... Well any way, I'm so looking forward to this journey. I'm Nervous as crazy, but excited....:eek::D

Casey, Welcome to the site. I am also fairly new to the site and finding it a wonderful resource of information.

Casey-Welcome to the forum. And congratulations on losing 7 pounds. I see your ticker is from myfitnesspal.com. Are you using their food tracker for your food journal? I use it and find it easy and fast. The only thing is that we can't use their calorie recommendtions but other than that it's a wonderful tool :)

The time will pass quickly and before you know it you will be on the way to the operating room ;)

Good luck on your journey and please make sure to come back to the forum to keep us updated, ask questions, offer advice, etc. :)

Welcome Casey, I am new to the forum myself, I done had my surgery I had the gastric bypass done February 1, 2012 and my starting weight was 435lbs and now I am down to 338lbs and I can truly say time will go by before you know it. So all I want to say is good luck on your journey and I wish you the best with it all.

Regeania-Welcome to the forum and a big WOW and congratulations on your FANTASTIC weight loss :) :) :) Did you lose all of it after the surgery?

Make sure you come back to the forum so that you can keep all of us updated on your continued success, offer advice to others, comment on posts or just hang around and have some fun!!!

Hi Casey, Welcome. You have some great goals you aff to a good start, they meay seem difficult at first but as you go through this joourney to a healthier you things will become second nature. They say our tastebiuds change and I guess they do somewhat, I was never into fish and could only eat tuna smothered in mayo, now a tablespoon is enoiugh and I seem to like other fish also, still not to keen on the smell in when it's cooking but it tastes good now. I think it is a good idea to try out some protien shakes to see what you like now but don't overstock on it, even if you find one that you think is really good, because you may not like it after the surgery. I haven't seen any mentione dyet but here are some of the populkar brands My faves are: EAS powder and pre made, ChocoRite protien powder (several flavors) and one that a lot of folks here swear by Unjury powder it even comes unflavored to add to soups and broth. It's OK to be nervous, we all were, it is a life changing descision. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

@Pat99, yes I did loose all of that after the surgery. When I started the process I believe I was at 456 and when I went in to have the surgery done I was 435 so yes the most weight came off after. And it feel reals nice to be 101lbs lighter from when I started. Thank you all for having me and I am open to advice and more ways to help me also. If anyone have questions they want to ask me please feel free, to everyone stay encourage and lets make it happen. God bless you all!!

Back