• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

In ER with Intestinal Blockage

dragonfly11

Anybody know what's about to happen to me from this point? My Dr is on his way in. I am curious how long I will have to stay, what surgery requires and the likelihood of this happening again. Thanks for any help.

IT may be that you stay for bowel rest and clear fluids OR Nothing by mouth. It matters on the cause, your doc will know. ARe you vomiting? You sound pretty ok if you can get on internet. Last week I was in hospital and last thing I thought about was internet so assuming you feel ok but not great?

thanks. Actually this is her sister, I was on the phone with her and she asked me to post if I could so the original post was by me through her on the phone. She was in agony last night and my mom brought her to the ER. She vomited profusely a couple of times. She is in surgery now.

Her sister posting again. It was scar tissue, he couldn't remove it so he had to bypass it. Not sure what that means? Does anyone know?

WOW, that poor kid. I think it means that the part that was twisted and could not be untwisted due to scar tissue so they took that out or left i but it is now not functioning and they hooked up her intestines around it. She will be fine but will need to start over with diet etc. Glad she got attention from the doc. Sorry she needed to go through the pain and vomiting! Give her our regards please.

WOW, that poor kid. I think it means that the part that was twisted and could not be untwisted due to scar tissue so they took that out or left i but it is now not functioning and they hooked up her intestines around it. She will be fine but will need to start over with diet etc. Glad she got attention from the doc. Sorry she needed to go through the pain and vomiting! Give her our regards please.

Thank you so much! I am so upset and sick over this. I just want her to be ok.

Dragonfly's sister, Please keep us posted oh how she is doing especially when she gets out of surgery. prayers for a favorable outcome on the way. Joy

She will be ok for sure, this is a blip in her course so just relax and be with your sister and encourage her etc. She will be ok!!!

Dragonfly's sister-I'm sure if you ask the doctor he will explain everything to you regarding the surgery, what caused the blockage and your sister's prognosis. I'm sure she will be OK. Please keep us posted. Good thoughts and prayers being sent to you, Dragonfly and your family.

I had a blockage 2 days after my bypass and also it caused some splitting. I had to go back in so I had two surgeries. But that was in Oct and 2 days after the scond surgery I was able to leave the hospital. I had pain meds for bypass but rarely used them. My bowels work fine. Yes he did explain to be what he did. It was a little scarey cause I said no way, I am going to have another surgery. I did of course was a little rough 1st night after at the hospital. But I still say all in all I would have my bypass again. And you will be okay before you know it.
Angie

Angie-Was the blockage a direct result of your gastric bypass or did you have an existing blockage or hernia that was missed?

Sister here still. Thanks everyone!

My sister (Dragonfly) did well with surgery. Apparently they had to bypass the scarred section, not sure what that means. Hoping to know more today. She is very, very sore, but they seem to be managing her pain well.

Oh my! I'm so glad she's out of surgery and hopefully will bounce back quickly. Please tell her my thoughts and prayers are with her and her children. I am sure it was a scary thing for them as well. Thanks for informing us.

Hi everyone, sister here still. She heard she may get to come home tomorrow! YAY!! She wants to be home. Doing well, she is walking the halls. She is very sore of course, but ready to heal and put this behind her. Onto the good things that await!

Good to hear Dragonfly is doing well!!! tell her to stay an extra day if there is any question of feeling too week to do for herself. She has been through alot. Onward and upward as they say!

Thank you for the updates. Glad to hear dragonfly is up walking the halls. So sorry this happened. Now you are ready for the real work to begin. Good luck as you continue on this journey. Prayers for a fast recovery continue. Joy

Thanks everyone. She is home and hopefully can now pop on and say hello! Her Dr said the likelihood of this happening again are slim to none!

Back