• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Irritable

penelope

I started my pre-surgery liquid diet the other day and am having a rough time. I crave salt for some odd reason. I just went and bought bullion cubes. For some reason warm liquids are more satisfying. I also am noticing that I'm on edge. I don't know if its nerves about the surgery, pms, or not eating. The bullion helped. I barely use salt, can't believe I crave it.

Anyhow, has anyone else struggled through this part?

Penelope-You may be experiencing some hormonal changes. Women store hormones in our fat cells and when we lose weight these are released. A sudden rise in hormones can cause irritability and even depression. In addition you may be having some low blood sugar from the liquid diet, this can also cause one to feel irritable. I don't know about the salt craving but you can call the nutritionist and ask about it. I found myself struggling with the pre-op liquid diet after day 2 and again towards the end. Hang in there, it will be over soon :) :) :)

Good morning Penelope, my pre-surgery diet was the worst, I was so hungry andgrumpy, seems like every commercial was about food and every tv program had a three course meal on it,broths seemed to help me with the salt, just remember after your surgery you won't be hungry and after your pre surgery diet you just went through will be a good feeling, stay strong you can do this....

Thank you for the encouragement. I barely slept last night and had thoughts on calling it all off! I am going to call the dr office as I remember something about overlooked veggies? I think. I didn't receive a handout on this part of the diet. Oh the salt craving is gone, now it's starch. I think my nerves are taking over. My stomach just feels nervous. I know I'm making the right decision but I am questioning my mind right now.

Oh, Penelope,

Hang in, bay bee!!! Sounds like you've got a case of the pre-op jitters people talk about.

Take a deep breath in through your nose. Blow it out, slowly, through your mouth. That's it. All the way out.

Take another breath, deeper, deeper. Purse your lips, blow it out, little by little. All the way out.

One more time, the deepest breath yet. And when you can't possibly take in any more air, take another sniff or two. And let it out through your mouth again. More, more, more. That's right. All the way out.

Your jitters may get worse. If they do, come back and read your post above. You know you're doing the right thing. For you!!!

It wouldn't be a bad idea to print that out on a 3x5 card or any brightly colored piece of paper and put it up somewhere you can see it. Often.

Thanks Qaterra! I feel better. The gal at the dr office hasn't called back yet. I know I CAN do this. It's all a mind thing. I've spent most of my day outside in this lovely weather we're having. I just wish my brain would feel my logic instead of nerves. I am learning that I am not a patient person, not a quality I'm enjoying.

Penelope-Make sure to speak directly with the nutritionist. I don't know the parameters of your pre-op diet, if it's clear liquids or full liquids. Mine was full liquids so I was allowed non-starchy veggies up to 2 days before surgery. I was also allowed tomato juice, marinara sauce, cream of wheat, instant mashed potatoes (no fats added) and quite a few other things that made it much more tolerable than a clear liquid diet would be. Speaking to the nutritionist will verify what you can have especailly if you tell her / him you are having a difficult time.

I don't think it's clear liquids. The day they told me to start this I wasn't feeling well. I remember her saying 3 protein drinks, jello, popsicles and broth/bullion. Then she said something about cooked veggies. I didn't hear that part. I juice and the nutritionist was all about that, so I knew I could drink vegetables. When I met with her we only talked about healthy eating choices and the eating stages post op.

i do feel better than on day 3. I don't feel as though I'm going to kill anyone as much. Just that itself makes me feel accomplished =). If I can choose to have this surgery, then I can do this diet. The surgery is the drastic part. I just need to remember this when I start to doubt myself. Right?

Again, thank you so much for sharing your stories and support! It really seems to make this journey easier.

Pen

Hi Penelope. The liquid diet phase was the hardest part for me, and yeas I even thought about calling it off, I was irratable and every commercial on tv was about food, and every where I went everyone was eating:mad: well maybe not that bad but it was difficult and I didn't start craving salt untill my last 48 hours and then I drank gallons of bullion, my only thought was, "surgery day please get here!!!!" Hang in there it will be surgery day befor eyou know it. :cool: Tom

Thank you Tom. Salt craving is gone. It was really just that one day.

Well I found out I can eat vegetables, yogurt, & cereal! Wish I had known sooner!:p

I do have a question. Has anyone felt super exhausted during this part? I am and got very lightheaded earlier.

Penelope-Feeling a little tired is normal while keeping the pre-op diet. Your caloric intake is lower than what you are used to and the amount of carbs you are eating is also much lower. Both of these issues are energy zappers. If you start feeling shakey, light headed or if your fatigue becomes extreme you need to call the surgeon's office because it may be low blood sugar. Test for this at home a couple of times a day if possible (beg, borrow or steal a monitor from soemone you know). Just keep your eye on the prize, it will make the time pass faster!!! Since you can eat veggies try some marinara or other meatless sauce on top of unsweetened cream of wheat (or instant mashed potatoes if you are allowed). I know it sounds gross but when I was at my wits end this is what I ate and I'm telling you it was WONDERFUL. You won't believe how good it tastes at this stage of your diet. It is very satisfying and may very well end up being your favorite :) :) :)

Back