• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Ive got a touchy question.

applewart

I have read tons of posts on here and pretty much all of them have been helpful and uplifting. What is the deal about all the suicide questions in the psyc eval? Suicide is the LAST thing I would want to do after losing all the weight and getting healthy. Just wondering.

Applewart hi it's psych evaluation that ? is probably on all psych test, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you are honest with yourself and the dr. there is nothing to worry about. I think they view all area's of our lives seeking to find out what makes us tick. I do believe people deal with depression in many ways, and I think they know that people whom have a poor self image and are dealing with excessive weight may have issues about life and wanting to live. I know that being given a second chance at life with this surgery, has surely lifted my spirits, it feels so good to be able to move about and not have so much pain, it's fun to look at clothes again, yeah and to realize that food is for nutrition and not to be used as a "reward' or for smothering out feelings with food,still working on doing better with those issues, but it has improved. for to be a lifetime success with this surgery, I must use food only as "nutrition and for no other reason and to stop and think when tempted to go to the wrong foods, for they only bring about sorrow and regret and pounds that you don't want back in your life once they are gone. every bite, everyday is a new beginning but with God's help I will continue to loose and get to my goal weight of being healthy and staying there. this site is so helpful . you're getting close to your new beginning I bet you are getting anxious, for a new healthier you is about to begin a new journey and it's well worth it. I am so glad I was able to have mine done in sept.2012. take care, Donna

I've been to live group meeting and wondered how some of those people ever passed a psych evaluation, seriously.

Applewart-Weight loss is so rapid after surgery and a lot of people have a very difficult time with the changes they are seeing even though the changes are a good thing. Any sort of sudden change, whether it's physical or emotional, can trigger depression. Since UNTREATED depression is the single leading cause of suicide it's no wonder why the evaluation has questions regarding this. I had my evaluation over a year ago and to be honest I don't remember there being a lot of questions about suicide, maybe just 2 or 3. I do remember there being a lot of questions about religious beliefs and eating habits. In fact, the same questions were asked over and over again but in different ways. I also think the evaluations vary greatly in content and yours just had a lot of suicide questions. Like Donna said, don't worry about it.

I had to laugh when I went to the surgeon's for my second pre-op visit and read the comments the shrink made about my physc evaluation. She said something along the lines of me holding back information and not being totally honest with her but wasn't specific about what it was she was talking about. She spent LESS than 5 minutes talking to me so I'm wondering how she jumped to her conclusion. I'm thinking a lot of these shrinks have to come up with some sort of cookie cutter response to use when they have nothing else to say.

Last edited:
I've been to live group meeting and wondered how some of those people ever passed a psych evaluation, seriously.
Congratulations on your big losses.....I just read your quote, and that is SO TRUE....you are so funny.....keeep up the good work...will keep watching for more keen thoughts....Rin

Back