• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just had Surgery now what.....

Djs76

Glad I found this sight because I'm not sure what comes next (other than what the Dr. told me). I had Roux & Y on 12/12/13, got out of the hospital on 12/14. Trying to relax for the next week at home although being somewhat type A and a workaholic that is difficult. Trying to follow the dietary guidelines and build my new lifestyle but not sure long term what that exactly means. So far I've had none of the dumping symptoms described pre-surgery. I don't know if I'm eating enough, the dietician said to rely on the Premier Protein shakes when in doubt (which is easy because they are good).

As a normally very active person the 60 minutes of activity daily is not an issue (walked 60 on the treadmill the day after getting home and had no issues).

Is this normal or should I be experiencing more pain, more problems? Still a bit bound from the anesthesia so the BM has been inconsistent.....again is that normal?

Hoping this works, I was out of options.

Sounds like all is going good.

When you say "eating" I am assuming your protein milkshakes and not real food or soft foods..

You really need to contact your dietician as far as your protein requirements go.

Did they not send you home with a dietary guideline and post surgical R-N-Y booklet or manual?

Yes, shakes and puréed food. Great comfort in the Premiere Protein shake. Got the menu and the manual, just hope I'm following correctly.

stick with all instructions and you will be great. Your Dr is the person to talk to when you are second guessing following the program correctly. My dr did not want me on pureed food for a couple of weeks so I could say anything about your program. I can say that I had no pain as a matter of fact I never took one pain pill. It took me a while to get my workout back up to par. I am thinking that it took me months to feel 100% as I tired easily. Be happy everything is going well and find some surgery buddies to email.
Best wishes.

Nfity53, don't worry about it too much. It does get easier as time goes by. Keep working your plan and it will all come together.

Frank

:cool:

Welcome. Glad to hear you are doing so well. Now what? Well you will follow your surgeon's program and go from drinking your meals to eventually eating them. In much smaller amounts. You will probably meet with a nutritionist along the way to answer any questions about how much and how often. Dumping usually occurs with RNY if you have taken in sugar or some kind of carb to quickly. Some people never dump and others have to be extremely mindful as having sugar alcohols can cause them to dump. I did not have any pain meds in hospital or at home. Everyone is different. Your stamina is incredible. to be able to walk on the treadmill for 60 minutes so early out is impressive. Do remember you have just had major surgery and your body does need time to heal. Listen to your body it knows what you need. Wishing you continued success. You are off to a great start.

Back