• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just Starting testing- no DOS yet. Sleeve

I just saw my surgeon yesterday and I started the testing. While I waited for the doc, I had my blood work done. Then I went and had a chest Xray. I already scheduled my pulmenologist appointment.
Now I have to get a sleep test done, the doppler vein study, an upper GI, see a psychiatrist, see a cardiologist, and i think that is it.

I am attending a support meetintg tonight (I am required to attend one) and then I have a dietician meeting next month.

Hi Livingstrong, It is a long and arduouse process, I didn't have all those test but I did have some of them. I had to go to a support group meeting that was required and I am almost 2 years out and I still go. It is a great place to talk with and meet folks who are going through or have gone through the same thing as you have, and years down the road you will be able to pass your experience along to those that will soon be having the same surgery.

You are on your way to a wonderful journey and a healthier you. Let us know how all the testst go. Take care. :cool: Tom

Livingstrong-Welcome to the forum. Congratulations, it sounds like you are well on your way. It took me a long time to complete my testing and I finally completed it 2 weeks ago with the blood draw, EKG, chest X-ray and a consult with the anesthesiologist (all were done in one location on the same day). The other testing and consults were done over a period of a few months (all over Dodge). Considering I started researching WLS over 5 years ago I guess the pre-surgical process wasn't really that long. I'm not complaining, I'm happy for you that you are able to have everything completed in such a short time period. The only thing I haven't done and won't have time to do is attend a live support meeting. I'm disabled and have a difficult time getting around lately. I had a bad fall about 5 weeks ago and the only place I've been since then was to finish the testing I've mentioned here. I know the support meetings will be key in the weight loss process so I need to be sure to start going once I have surgery. I'm scheduled for RNY on 2/27 :) This forum has sustained me in the meantime. Make sure to keep visiting us and let us know when you get your surgery date assigned! There are a lot of wonderful people here that have a lot of excellent advice.

new and ready..

HELLO EVERYONE!!! good to see people here for the same thing my experience is a little different. Where i live we have no bariatric surgeons or surgery for that matter . the closest one is in the atlanta region, which is over 100 miles away. Plus i have a medicare advantage insurance plan with medicaid. All of these things make for a difficult road ahead of me. I started out about 3 months ago getting things together. Since i live so far away we have been comunicating over the phone and on-line and through snail-mail. I am almost seeing the end of the tunnel, i was finally able to get an appointment with the nutrionist today for next month. I finally found a live support group today as well, the only one in the whole city!!!! i start that next month as well. i then have to get my endoscopy, clearance from a psychologist, pulmonolgist, and i think that is it. i too am disabled and on a fixed income so that also adds to the situation, not complaining cause god is going to see me through, but i do get a bit discouraged with all the waiting time and eveyone asking me when am i going to get a date. i am praying that i can have an answer in the next few weeks, god willing. in the mean time thanks for being here, and i look forward to chatting with everyone and making new friends!:D:eek:

HELLO EVERYONE!!! good to see people here for the same thing my experience is a little different. Where i live we have no bariatric surgeons or surgery for that matter . the closest one is in the atlanta region, which is over 100 miles away. Plus i have a medicare advantage insurance plan with medicaid. All of these things make for a difficult road ahead of me. I started out about 3 months ago getting things together. Since i live so far away we have been comunicating over the phone and on-line and through snail-mail. I am almost seeing the end of the tunnel, i was finally able to get an appointment with the nutrionist today for next month. I finally found a live support group today as well, the only one in the whole city!!!! i start that next month as well. i then have to get my endoscopy, clearance from a psychologist, pulmonolgist, and i think that is it. i too am disabled and on a fixed income so that also adds to the situation, not complaining cause god is going to see me through, but i do get a bit discouraged with all the waiting time and eveyone asking me when am i going to get a date. i am praying that i can have an answer in the next few weeks, god willing. in the mean time thanks for being here, and i look forward to chatting with everyone and making new friends!:D:eek:

Hi Lena Welcome, once you have all your tests done things should go quick. That is so great you found a local support group, sometimes that is the greatest challange, that will save you the travel to Atlanta, You will still have to travel back there a few times the first 3 months for check ups then if everything looks good the visits get further apart. Hang in there hopefully things should start to move along now. :cool: Tom

lenaChocolate like the name, for I'ma CHOCOLATE<holic, I know chocolate is not going to be something NOT allowed after surgery and I still have to tell myself no:) to it now, though I scewed up the other day and had a snack size bar of kit kat, the quilt is overwhelming. I too have been facing the slow drawn out process with the same 2 insurnaces you have, I am fortunate that dr. and support group are only 30 min away. The waiting for a surgery date seems to be just as hard as trying to watch everything I want to eat. but I know in the end all of it will be worth the wait. Hope you come back and share more of your story and also find the answers you need on here. everyone is open and willing to help with ?, they've been so friendly love this site.
Newbie, Donna

Last edited:
hi livingstrong, good nic name. sounds like you are well on your way to success, I've only been to one support group meeting but looking forward to the next one at the end of the month. It's nice to walk into a room and feel accepted because everyone there has already had there surgery or on there way. there are no "barbie doll looking people there, but the one's who've had the surgery were well on there way's to meeting there goals. It was encouraging. Please come back and keep everyone posted, this site is the friendlist I have found.
Good luck
Donna

Back