• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Lap Band Surgery

Buzzmaam

Hello everyone!

I filled out pre-screening forms and attended the pre-appointment seminar. I have my first appointment with the doctor next month.

Can anyone tell me what it's like to,
  1. have lap band surgery,
  2. what it's like the first days, weeks and months after (pain level, how you feel, the types of food you eat),
  3. how long, generally, are people off of work,
  4. what foods you eat months and years later,
  5. and anything else you would be willing to share.
Thanks for your time!

HI Buzzmaam, Welcome. Hi had the RnY so my experience is diggerent than yours will be, I wish I could help you out here:( I don't know why no one has responded to your questions:confused: there are a lot of great folks here with the Lap Band. I can answer some of your questions. 3) Most people are only off work a week or two at the most. The Band is less invasive than the bypass. 4) Lap Band meal plans are similar to the bypass, a high protien low fat/cal meal plan. 5) Learn to chew your food up real well so it is a liquid like mush. You will also be able to tolerate mor foods than us bypass folks. Sorry I couldn't be of mor help. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

Thanks for the welcome and trying to answer my questions. I was really hoping this would be the place to find others who have had gastric band surgery. It would be nice to have a "band buddy". ;) Again, thanks for the reply!

I was hoping to find someone on here that is active who had the switch done. still waiting for my call :(

Has anyone here had lap band surgery?? Anyone? Anyone?? :D Please, if you will, answer the questions in the first post and please let me know what life is like after lap band. Thanks!

Buzzmaam-I have only seen a few people on this forum who have had lapband surgery and there hasn't been a lot of information posted. If you have a surgeon in mind he / she can answer all of your questions regarding food, time off work and even pain. You may even be able to attend a live support group before you have a consult with a surgeon. Just do an Internet search for hospitals who do lapband surgery in your area. Most post their meeting schedules. The people at the support meeting will be more than happy to give you the specifics. Worst case is that you will need to schedule a consult with a surgeon to have your questions answered. Take along a list of questions.

Hi Pat, thanks for the response! I do have a surgeon and I've seen for the initial screening. Among other things, attending at least one support group is required. This month will the first one I will attend. I have been researching on the Internet, which is how I found this group. I was just anxious to get first-hand information as I move along the process. Thanks for the reply. It was helpful!

Hi Buzzman, you should find the support group very helpfull, I know I did, there were a lot of folks there that talked about everything they had gone through and tosee them and all the weight they lost it was amazing, I knew then that I was doing what was right for me. Pat is right there are not a loy of lap band people here so hopefully you saty with us and after surgery you can be here to help other people out that are considering or decided to have the Lap Band, we can all use all the support we can get for such a life changing surgery. I know we can't help you out with some aspects of the Lap Band journey but we all have the same emotions of excitment, anxiety, and fear just because it is huge descision to make. So we are all here for you. Let us know how you support group meeting goes, I know you will find it quite informative. :cool: Tom

Hi Tom. I will be attending the first support group on Monday and I will let you know how it goes. I have already found it helpful reading what others have gone through and the ups and downs they experience. I'm sure a lot of that might be universal to most having bariatric surgery. Thanks for the encouragement! ;)

I had Lap Banding done May 16th... you start off on a pre diet for 2 weeks then the banding, then your usually off of work just for a few days if you get it done laparscopically, I am in my 2nd week post op, all I can have are the protien shakes and sugar free jello and pudding, until next week.. I have lost 21lbs in 3 weeks, I'm usually not particularly hungry, and I'm gradually increasing my exercise I'm up to a mile or 2 daily.. pain wasn't terrible, it did hurt the first couple of days, but that's what they make drugs for... if you need a band buddy.. friend me... nice to meet you, I'm Rachael.. :)

HI,Buzzmaam, I had a Lapband placed on March 12th. One of the best things I ever did even though my surgery was slightly more detailed than I expected due to two hernias that had to be repaired. They actually gave me more trouble than the Lapband. My Doctor only required three days of clear liquids prior to surgery to shrink the liver. I was allowed two protien shakes each day as well. The hospital I went to has a dedicated bariatric surgery unit with special beds and trained staff. I have adjusted well and have lost 28 pounds so far. It seems slower than others I have talked to but that is probably due to my inability to exercise as much as I should. I try to swim every day since it is summer. My surgery was done laparoscopically. I was "nothing by mouth for almost 24 hours" after surgery and then they did an xray to check for placement and leakage - no big deal - just a dry mouth. Not all surgeons do that, but mine does. Don't be afraid to ask where your surgeon learned to do the surgery, how many procedures he or she has done, and what complications they have encountered. My presurgery teaching was excellent and I knew exactly what to expect and that is exactly what I got. I was concerned about the "fills" but they turned out to be no big deal. I have not met one person who regrets having WLS regardless of which procedure they chose or problems they encountered. So far, all have said they would do it again in a heartbeat. Listen to the nutritionist, remember to sip sip sip, and chew chew chew after you get your lapband. I even had to pass a nutrition test before I was okayed for surgery. Read all you can on the WEB about your procedure and find others who have had it done. Any other questions, I will be glad to help if I can. Good luck, Joy

I had lapband 5/30. It was uncomfortable, but not painful. I stayed overnight in the hospital. Was just glad to be in a "safe" place until I felt comfortable. While I was I was in the Hosp. I developed a severe headache (no caffiene). I mentioned it to the Dr.and he said drink a cup of coffee. He seems to be very laid back. Eat, drink what you can, etc. I stayed on liquids for a week. I called the office said I was bored with the diet. They said to add an egg, cottage cheese, applesauce and se what I could tolorte. I have been careful. but really can eat anything right now within reason! My stomach is still very swollen tender and bruised, especially around my belly button. I am still a bit tired and take it easy. I am older so I have no schedule to follow. I think you can go back to work as soon as you feel okay. You have had major surgery so you still need to be careful. I will have my first fill the 28th so I suppose my eating habits will change. I have lost 11lbs. and I am not hungry. The office staff should be pretty good at answering your questions and giving you handouts. Do you have access the "My Emmi?" Gives a lot of info. Good luck.

Goodness u have all been helpful and i now have more questions for my doctor. he wants 2 wks of protein shakes prior to surgery and a wk after. i think thats too much shake so i dont know how i will do. i just wish it was less especially since i went on a high protein diet to reduce my liver 8 months ago and that is where i lost most of my weight.

Back