• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

light headed

Lizzie

Here lately I have been getting very light headed and almost passing out. Anyone else going through this or have you gone through it? If so what helped?

I haven't had my gastric bypass surgery, yet, but I do know one problem that can cause your symptoms. Do you have high blood pressure? If so, your blood pressure may be dropping too low.

Barbara J..... I have never had a problem with high blood pressure. My blood pressure has always been really low like 100/70-80 but here after surgery its been even lower like when I was in the hospital it went down to 70/39 last time I was checked it was 84/60.... Maybe I should look into that.

Critical!!!!!!!!

Call your doctor - tonight if you can reach him. I've had blood pressure problems for years and know a lot of the danger signs. He'll probably have you go to the ER (or at least an Urgent Care) to have your blood pressure taken. If your blood pressure goes too low, you'll straight-line - in other words, your heart will stop beating. Don't wait; I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty positive you're in a dangerous situation. Please let me know after you've been checked out.

hi Lizzie, you BP is very low please call your doctor, they usually have a 24 hour call nimber for after hours emergencies like this so you can be seen right away if you need it. Let us know how you are doing. Tom

Lizzie,

I also have had issues with light headedness. However, it never got to the point of passing out but pretty close. My issue was my iron was very low. I also still recommend contacting your doctor. Even though I thought I was eating enough protien, apparently not. I have been on a prescription iron supplement for about 6 months. After the first day of taking it the light headedness stop instantly.

Lizzie - We haven't heard whether you're alright or not. All of us on the forum are like an extended family. Please write us to let us know if you're okay. I've thought about you frequently ever since you wrote that you were light headed and that your blood pressure was low.

I am OK. I haven't been able to find a dr yet but I hope to today. The drs where I live aren't taking new patients until November. I have to try and find one in the next town which is about 30 miles from me. I am still very light headed at times and its kinda scary because I am a stay at home mom with my 2 and 3 year olds. We have no neighbors and it takes about an hour for an ambulance to get to our house.

Where on earth do you live? It's scary that not one doctor in your geographical area is accepting patients. Please don't allow this problem to continue without finding out what is causing it. Think about your children. If something would happen to you, your children would be left without a mother. If it takes going to an ER - go. I still think you're in danger.

I find I get light headed ifim standing for to long, if I'm not hydrated enough, and from the heat. I try to keep something cold with me at all times, and sit down as much as possible.

Lizzie-You need to get yourself to a walk in clinic, urgent care or ER NOW, not tomorrow or next week. Call soemone to watch the kids or take them with you. Do whatever it takes to get yourself there.

Pat - I've tried and tried to convince her that she's likely in a dangerous situation. You can tell by the posts I've made. I'm scared to death she's going to straight-line. It's almost like she doesn't take the situation seriously. I'm worried about her children, too. What happens to them if she ends up passed out in the floor.

I had y surgery on July 31st and I also get lightheaded. I also have a low blood pressure and assume its from that. Usually more when I first get up or if I try to do anything to physical. I am not too worried about it. But will ask my Dr when I go in nexgt week. Do you not see the Dr that did your surgery? I guess that is where I am lucky my Dr has tons of follow up for an entire year than every 6 months after that

I finally got to a dr and found out that I do have very low BP.. Their remedy is 120g protein, adding salt, staying hydrated and ag small dose of mes.... I hope it works :)

From your symptoms, I knew that the problem had to be low blood pressure, because I've experienced it myself. I'm glad you were able to get the problem resolved. I'll send you a bill in the morning (just kidding). Hope you start feeling better.

I was also having this issue. I called my doctor and he thought it may be and issue with my blood sugars. I have never been diabetic or had issues before but at the time I had been eating fruit for a snack and that was when I started getting light headed. I stopped eating so much fruit and more protein and it went away.

There are so many things that can cause lightheadedness, some of which are very serious. This is why immediate medical attention is needed. Each of us have an obligation to seek immediate medical attention when something like this happens, no excuses. Just think of what might happen if you are driving or operating machinery and you pass out, even momentarily. I had a back surgey in 2000 and was having bad headaches almost daily for over 2 months prior to surgery. I also noticed some swelling in my face in my temple area because of a slight indentation my glasses were making. I had 2 or 3 visits to my physical medicine doctor and the neurosurgeon who did my surgery. Neither one of them checked my blood pressure even though I complained about the headaches and showed them my swelling. While I was being prepped for my back surgery my blood pressure was checked. It was so low that I had to be given 2 bags of potassium chloride in order to bring my pressure back to a safe range. The culprit was the mild dieuretics I had been taking for years but had never caused a problem until the 2 month timeframe prior to surgery. The surgery was almost cancelled. I had to stay on the potassium IV's for 4 days and let me tell you it was Hell because of the constant intense burning sensation it caused in the vein where the IV needle is placed.

I have since learned to be persistant when you know there is something wrong and you must continue to speak out until someone pays attention to what you are saying. I have been going to the same PCP for over 20 years and she knows when I have an appointment that there is a real problem and gives me her full attention and plenty of her time. I'm not saying she has been 100% correct in every diagnoses she has made but at least she is paying attention to me.

When I got light headedness it was caused by low BP as soon as I discontinued me meds the symptoms slowly went away over a couple of days time and my PB was normal and has been ever since. :cool: Tom

Hi, Lizzie,

Glad you got to the dr and are doing better. Thanks for letting us know.

Their remedy could be exactly the right one and will work ONLY IF YOU WORK it. And you do have your work cut out for you to hit 120g protein daily.

Ask here if you need help or recommendations on how to do that. There are some very savvy folk here. And don't hesitate to call and ask your dr for recommendations on how to achieve that 120g protein requirement.

How are you doing with your protein?

Back