• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Looking for a mentor/support before surgery.

Roni

Hi I am Roni. I have been in the Move program at the VA in IA City IA for three years(actually longer). It is required before referring for bariatric surgery. Dec 3 I will meet with the surgeon to determine if I am eligible. Initially I was more interested in weight loss by medication, that had some obstacles but I was able to overcome them. I eat a lot of sweets when I am stressed( was really bad at last location I worked..gained almost 100 pounds) I am retired now. I have been on a 1500 diabetic diet log since July. I have lost 14-15 pounds since July to now. I have serious pain in my left hip and I have trouble walking. Exercise is a challenge. I am hoping things will be less painful when I lose some of this weight. now I am to meet with the dr. Spoke with psychiatrist for the second time yesterday, she likes how I am putting effort and research into my journey. I explained to her I recognize this as a commitment and there is no pedaling backwards down the road.

Hi Roni, welcome to our group! I just wanted to say that I had a lot of mobility issues before the surgery and I am walking so much better now that my husband tells me to slow down when we are walking together. It use to be the other way around and I would always get annoyed when he walked ahead, LOL! I wish you all the best in your journey!

Hi Roni, welcome to our group! I just wanted to say that I had a lot of mobility issues before the surgery and I am walking so much better now that my husband tells me to slow down when we are walking together. It use to be the other way around and I would always get annoyed when he walked ahead, LOL! I wish you all the best in your journey!
Thank you for the warm welcome and encouragement.

I miss my pool activity. I drained it this year for the first time. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice. Going to see about removing leaves on the bottom. And close the plug and see how much it fills over the winter. Pool place was supposed to come close but never made appt to show. After three visits I decided to wait. Oh well. Trying to get a stand for my bicycle to make it stationary. Putting money aside for it. Illinois is adding more restrictions again. Knows people are tired of the precautions, but I don’t want the other and get sick.

Tomorrow morning I meet with the surgeon to discuss progress and options. What will be best for me and when. Will post more After the visit. I am getting a lot of information on the posts so I want to say bless you all. The veterans bariactric dr told me the most important part of bariatric process is a lifelong commitment to follow up. Since the VA is my primary it will be addressed annually for me over the long run. I have an option for counseling for the surgery by the VA. I will put that on my list of things to do. I was noticing the grocery list for softer surgery and I will definitely be looking into that also. Thank you all.

Welcome Roni. I found many of Ryan's posts (Username WazzuCoug) to be well researched and filled with excellent information on how the body reacts to weightloss and weightloss surgery. You'll find you're taking the right steps to ensure your blood sugar is in check and will lose weight to enable more movement. I had (have) a bad knee and with just ~30lbs weight loss, the pain has been greatly reduced. Also along with Ryan's good research, you'll find lovely, supportive people here to help you with your journey. Search for anything and you'll see someone has also experience it. You've found a treasure trove of good help!

Here's a link to all of Ryan's comments and posts.

Appointment went well. First met with nurse. Then physician assist then with dr. I am now scheduled for endoscopy and upper GI at the end of Jan. Dr reports that she wants to make sure I don’t have a hernia or scar tissue problem that would need to be addressed during surgery. Oh yeah I lost another pound in the last three weeks. Happy dance. Asked about anesthesia told them sometimes I go under for too long and other times I puke and have the poops. Can’t win sometimes. I had the nurse and physician assist in laughter. Sometimes I have good stories. In reality my goal is to make someone laugh everyday. Surgery will be scheduled after the procedures at the end of January. I have been patient for this for a long time. It will happens when the time is right.

Welcome Roni.
Along with Ryan's good research, you'll find lovely, supportive people here to help you with your journey. Search for anything and you'll see someone has also experience it. You've found a treasure trove of good help!

Actually, I look forward to Lisa's and Judy's posts and think they are being far too modest! There's a real danger in singling an individual member out because it can silence a shy member who already feels insecure about speaking up.

This is a support group, and everyone has an equal voice. Some of us know a lot technically, but the messages that mean a lot to me come from the people who struggle and reach out to share.

Otherwise, we'd just be amassing statistics instead of showing vulnerability and trust.

So many wonderful people have come and gone in the 21 months I've been here. It's so important to make this forum a welcoming place for all. It can feel really lonely out there.

Sending love and encouragement to the dear people on the fringe of the spotlight. We are ALL here for you.

My VA dr said this is a life long commitment. Follow up and Annual upkeep should be a priority. I came here for information and support. I am in a good place mentally. I do have some excellent real life friends, but I recognize that not everyone of them will understand the ins and outs of this surgery. Thus I am here. I also has access to a counselor if I need one. I am enjoying looking things up. I also am seeing how supportive everyone is. The procedure is possible RNY unless scar tissue is found from gall bladder or hysterectomy then it could be a sleeve. This is what I am looking for. Bless every one of you.

Underlying conditions low functioning right kidney from botched hysterectomy1997. 5 surgeries to remove 9 laparoscopic staples in right ureter 1 inch above bladder. Put stents in take stents out and kidney stones. Knee replacement 2012 after three dislocates 1978, 1993 and 1997. Previous surgeries were all repair on left knee and ligaments shortened on both ankles from chronic sprains. Multiple surgeries after motorcycle was hit by semi 2005. Broken left hip, broken left ribs, broken left ankle, broken right inside forearm bone in V by the wrist, broken right forearm outside bone (broke through skin), broke bone in right hand pinkie finger. Two screws in left ankle, three screws in left hip that had to be removed when started backing out. Plate in right forearm in, then started backing out. Excess bone growth into wrist had to be removed. Now I struggled to walk and stand and sit with left hip Due to arthritis. Secondary injury to right shoulder from hip surgeries, removed 1.5cm on clavicle. I admit it was a challenge but I have overcome. Have fun be safe.

Actually, I look forward to Lisa's and Judy's posts and think they are being far too modest! There's a real danger in singling an individual member out because it can silence a shy member who already feels insecure about speaking up.

This is a support group, and everyone has an equal voice. Some of us know a lot technically, but the messages that mean a lot to me come from the people who struggle and reach out to share.

Otherwise, we'd just be amassing statistics instead of showing vulnerability and trust.

So many wonderful people have come and gone in the 21 months I've been here. It's so important to make this forum a welcoming place for all. It can feel really lonely out there.

Sending love and encouragement to the dear people on the fringe of the spotlight. We are ALL here for you.
Diane is correct, of course. I was being lazy by not paraphrasing all of Ryan's good content. No harm meant.

Back