• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Looking for a mentor/support before surgery.

2 more pounds down from Jan 11 That makes 20 pounds since July. 2.5 hour drive to hospital for esophageal test. Made it through the esophageal test On the 28. Drank a lot of white goop and swallowed stuff compared to pop rocks from back in the 70‘S. Made me think of carbonation from soda. there was suspicion I might have a small hernia. 2.5 hour drive home. Then Friday shopping with friend. Laundry on sat. Very long weekend. 2.5 hour drive to get COVID test at 11:25 am on Sunday, not driving home and back for procedure next day. Next we couldn’t check in to hotel until 3 pm. Waiting oh goody. 11:25 am was last time slot for the test that day. Very long evening in hotel. Check out from hotel is 11 am. Procedure scheduled for 2:30 pm. More waiting, oh goody. Check in for procedure was scheduled for 1:50 am, surgeon was running approximatly 30 min late. a patient had complications, so that made him behind on schedule. Then came the upper gi procedure on the 1st. Went quickly and the report is “everything is good“. No small hernia found. Let’s not forget the 2.5 hour drive home. Today was video chat for screening by counselor for counseling after surgery but that will be addressed more next week, after I meet with the bariatric team on Thursday. Wednesday is eye doctor appointment, missed last year checkup due to COVID and I kinda forgot about it. Ooops. Four appointments starting at 9 am after 2.5 hour drive. Since I don’t normally get up until 10 or 11 am I will be lots of fun since I have to get up at 5:30 am to get in car by 6:30 am for the 2.5 hour drive to appointment. First appointment is 9 am last is 2 pm and don’t forget the drive home 2.5 hours. Promises I will be good at the appointments. Friday starts the blended diet phase. Not sure how that tracts on the log they gave me. Friday is shopping day oh goody. No clue what grocery list will be With change to blended diet. husband and my weekly shopping friend have both said, you are losing weight do you really need this surgery?......my highest weight in 2018 was 327 at 60 years old. It took over two years to lose 30 pounds and 6 months to lose 20 Pounds. I am currently at 273. I am going to be 63 this year so I would be 70 or older to lose between 130 to 140 pounds to lose and that is if I don’t encounter any plateaus along the way. I am serious about losing, but do I change my mind after starting this?

Last edited:
Roni it sounds like you're keeping a great journal. You might want to post your whole story to our resources section.

Everything is going to go fine. My post-op diet was based on milk, yogurt, cottage cheese and high protein ingredients I could put in the blender. But I forgot the liquid phase. Broth and clear soups tasted so good to me. And of course I sucked on my water reservoir (camping gear) slowly all day long.

This was in 2007 so no pre-op diet and I had RYGB through a 7" incision in my midriff. One day I was at the surgeons office, 100 pounds overweight, a few days later I was in surgery.

HERE IS MY BEST ADVICE: start using a fiber laxative at least a week before surgery, or you will live to regret it. You WILL be constipated for at least a few days, maybe a week. My constipation story is too traumatic to repeat, but I'm lucky I didn't bust a stitch.

Then do exactly what your surgeon and nutritionist says.

You're not scared; you are deliriously excited.

I had the same conversations with my family about losing weight anyway so why the need for surgery. I will tell you the surgery and the 6 weeks of super restrictive dieting gives you results FAST. Which is super motivating. But even if you're not motivated, your stomach is at the biggest (sleeve) 2-3 oz and at the smallest (bypass) 1oz. So, even you decided to "cheat" well .. good luck trying to eat a bucket of fried chicken lol
I personally found the surgery to be a reset for me. I was given this gift of speedy weight loss, which in turn makes me WANT to make better food choices. It just gave me a real chance to just get over food, if that makes sense. When dieting to lose weight naturally, all I wanted was food, and I was angry that I couldn't have it. Now it's not always easy, but it's easier. And I needed help. The surgery gave it me and I am so happy that I decided to go for it.

Busy day labs, dietician, head of program talked about risks an complications, physician assist talked about releases and after surgery, surgeon talked about procedure then sent me to ekg, chest X-ray and now waiting for anesthesiaologist. Tomorrow blended diet starts, got swaps for stuff I am not fond of, should be okay. Tell more later oops tentative 6:30 am on the 15.

Busy day labs, dietician, head of program talked about risks an complications, physician assist talked about releases and after surgery, surgeon talked about procedure then sent me to ekg, chest X-ray and now waiting for anesthesiaologist. Tomorrow blended diet starts, got swaps for stuff I am not fond of, should be okay. Tell more later oops tentative 6:30 am on the 15.

Wow, you are almost there Roni! Good for you!

Well yesterday was a very busy day. Just to make matters more fun it rained on the way there all 2.5 hours. Checked in for first appointment 10 min early looked out window and it was snowing. Oh goody. I had to pee. After I pee the lab people call me for blood and urine. Oopps gonna wait so they gave me the cup for later. looked out the window one more time, it looked like it was snowing snowballs. Next I Met with dietician and showed her my recipe books from Amazon and the 21 day recipe book with containers that measure the foods. I showed her my index cards with the 1200/800 recipes in it that I thought I could do. I did ask about substitutions and was told I could do oatmeal and I could even add pb powder. I can use pork instead of chicken sometimes too. And I can use taco seasoned meat (maybe ground turkey) instead of refried beans. I also asked about the log for this phase and do I do 3 meals with the milk snacks. The answer is yes. After the dietician I met with the head of the program we talked about risks / complications. We even talked about warning signs. Then I met with the PA and we went over the advance directives and consent forms. Then I met with the surgeon, she looks so young, but she has been doing this for over 10 years. I am impressed. We talked about the surgery and how it is done. Then I was off to the EKG, on the way I looked out the windows again back to small snow, then X-ray and anesthesia. husband drove home and I can say the roads were so messy. Semi’s off the road, facing southbound in northbound lanes. We were headed south. Cars in the median, on the side of the roads. More semi’s jackknife. Very long ride. Stopped and ate just past the halfway mark and when we got back on the highway there were two police vehicles with a semi taking him across the median at one of their turn around. The semi had just been picked up off its side by a tow vehicle. About 20 miles farther and the roads cleared up. The good news is we made it home safely but we’re very very tired.

Today I put The 2/3 cup of milk for the oatmeal in microwave and it boiled over. So cleaned up the mess added water for the right fluid amount put in my oversized soup mug reheated it added the oatmeal and the oatmeal was drowning in the liquid...so I added the pb powder still drowning. Frustrated I drank it mostly. But I got breakfast in. Before I left to go get maintenance on car done I made a protein shake. Not sure if I should have the whole thing I mixed up the milk and protein powder cut in half then put half in fridge and half in ninja cup added ice and off I went. Not as flavorful but I drank it down over time. After car picked up friend to go shopping but felt the need to go home to make lunch. Decided I wanted the Greek orange cream yogurt with 1 cup mandarin oranges and I cup milk, blended it and off I went. I did not care for it but I kept drinking throughout the errands. Before I was finished shopping I took some food home to husband, and asked him to put what was left of the shake in the fridge for later. ( 4 hours later I am home). So I dug out the orange stuff added 1/4 tsp orange extract and 1 scoop protein powder and ice, blended it up and finished it. I haven’t really been hungry but knows I need to eat still. one more protein shake and one more meal and my last yogurt of the day. Looking forward to the weekend to make sense of the meals.

Iowa’s weather hasn’t been the best recently, I have a ton of family up there so I get updates regularly. Next week we get the polar vortex in Missouri and Iowa. Going to be dangerous cold! Hope everything goes well and stay warm!

Iowa’s weather hasn’t been the best recently, I have a ton of family up there so I get updates regularly. Next week we get the polar vortex in Missouri and Iowa. Going to be dangerous cold! Hope everything goes well and stay warm!
Will probably catch that weather here too. Already been out 5 times to sweep fluffy raindrops off the porch to the gate.

I had the same conversations with my family about losing weight anyway so why the need for surgery. I will tell you the surgery and the 6 weeks of super restrictive dieting gives you results FAST. Which is super motivating. But even if you're not motivated, your stomach is at the biggest (sleeve) 2-3 oz and at the smallest (bypass) 1oz. So, even you decided to "cheat" well .. good luck trying to eat a bucket of fried chicken lol
I personally found the surgery to be a reset for me. I was given this gift of speedy weight loss, which in turn makes me WANT to make better food choices. It just gave me a real chance to just get over food, if that makes sense. When dieting to lose weight naturally, all I wanted was food, and I was angry that I couldn't have it. Now it's not always easy, but it's easier. And I needed help. The surgery gave it me and I am so happy that I decided to go for it.
Your reply helped me so much. Especially when my close people talk about not having the surgery. Thank you.

Ugh day four and the heart burn is killing me On this blended diet phase. I already take heartburn meds in am and before bed. Thinks I am going to send message to dietician and doc. They gave me a percription for after the surgey. Will let you know.

Hi I am Roni. I have been in the Move program at the VA in IA City IA for three years(actually longer). It is required before referring for bariatric surgery. Dec 3 I will meet with the surgeon to determine if I am eligible. Initially I was more interested in weight loss by medication, that had some obstacles but I was able to overcome them. I eat a lot of sweets when I am stressed( was really bad at last location I worked..gained almost 100 pounds) I am retired now. I have been on a 1500 diabetic diet log since July. I have lost 14-15 pounds since July to now. I have serious pain in my left hip and I have trouble walking. Exercise is a challenge. I am hoping things will be less painful when I lose some of this weight. now I am to meet with the dr. Spoke with psychiatrist for the second time yesterday, she likes how I am putting effort and research into my journey. I explained to her I recognize this as a commitment and there is no pedaling backwards down the road.
Thank you for your service
. My husband had gastric bypass in November after a failed lap band. You are smart for doing your homework. Heavenly Father please keep Ron safe. In Jesus Holy Name

Ugh day four and the heart burn is killing me On this blended diet phase. I already take heartburn meds in am and before bed. Thinks I am going to send message to dietician and doc. They gave me a percription for after the surgey. Will let you know.
Sent a note back after they suggested the same acid reducer I take twice a day now For sinus meds/air borne irritants. So I was told I can change to the after surgery acid reducer and tums after meals.

Spent today looking for paper for Friday’s appointment. Son is driving me After I pick him up from dropping car off for maintenance. They are doing ct scan for bladder and then cystoscopy. Found the paper I was looking for just before I checked mail for updates. About an hour ago I found the reminder that was sent by mail for the appointment. Then Sunday I go back for covid test stay at hotel and Monday surgery. Today was Move program they sent me a shirt after 12% loss of weight, so I made sure I had it on. Got in trouble for not logging but on 1200/800 calorie blended diet so I was told I didn’t need to log By bariatric dietician. Oops communication gap there. Be fun people and be safe.

Back