• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Looking for a mentor/support before surgery.

Welcome to the group! I'm also in the process of getting bariatric surgery. I wasn to long my egd done, now I have to get a gastric emptying test done, so hopefully I can have a surgery date soon. But it is taking every bit of 6 to 9 months to get the surgery..Thanksfully my insurance does not have any requirements for me to do. My requirement is whatever the surgeon wants me do while I'm in his program
Usually most of us have or had a gazillion hoops to jump through to qualify for WLS. It took me from the initial paperwork in Sept 2020 until actual gastric bypass surgery on July 12th 2021. So it's a game of hurry up & wait. Welcome to the group.

Hi been a while, I know. Went into a funk towards the end of august. The kids coming by to swim, was great for company but the rough-housing they did ruined my favorite float. Then school started and they were gone and I was back to pool time alone. I was exhausted from all the work I put in during the summer. And the time without the iPad did me in more. Starting to come out of the funk but it is A process. Thinking of Christmas and what I need to prepare to gift. Weight is holding since august so that part is under control. Still would like to see more come off. I should get my mind set for ctivity for weight loss, Today was Move support group and I am finally addressing one of the inconveniences of the bariatric surgery. Meal, what do you perceive as a meal? Tradition; is meat- starch-veggies. With small stomach 4 oz. It is choice : meat no starch no veggie. Or no meat starch no veggie. Last option is no meat no starch yes veggie. Just my mind set. Snacks have been fruits for fiber and sometimes celery sticks. I will work at checking in more regular. I did touch in on some posts just not my own. I recommended the site to someone whose friend just had sleeve four months ago.

Good to hear from you. Sorry you're in a bit of a funk. Happens to the best of us. I was just wondering how you were

I have noticed I only do "meals" at dinner and its just too much. I'm of the same mindset as you, regarding meat/starch/veg. So, making a dinner is just So. Much. Food. Last night I made lemon herb chicken thighs, scalloped potatoes and green beans. Sounded good but I had to eat it separately and at different times!!

Empty nester here so making a meal is a chore. Especially since husband doesn’t eat leftovers. Anything above one serving per person mostly gets thrown out. I hve issues with throwing food out after making the effort. Tonight I used a protein muffin mix to make waffles I even added extra protein to the batter. i made three tonight ate two, hubby wasn’t home. Put third in fridge and I put the extra batter in baggies to clip corner and make th some more fresh waffles tomorrow.

I HATE anti leftover people lol My husband was very much anti leftovers until he had to cook or eat out everyday. Actually since he had his WLS, I cook every other day at best. Even trying to resize recipes, there is always too much. I've started sending food to my mother in law lol

I love breakfast all day Long. The waffles are good even using cold batter. still have enough batter for at least two to three more meals. Husband is doing can goods: soups, chili, chef boyrdee, stews, beans and potatoes. It works. I hate cleaning the kitchen after him though.

I HATE anti leftover people lol My husband was very much anti leftovers until he had to cook or eat out everyday. Actually since he had his WLS, I cook every other day at best. Even trying to resize recipes, there is always too much. I've started sending food to my mother in law lol
HAH!
I wouldn't say I am "anti leftover" but I am very picky about them. I struggle with left over meats after the 1st day, always have. I try to food prep my lunches so I just work around my own issues so I can be successful. Regular chicken is the worst for me, like grilled or baked chicken breast is too tough after about a day and I even put some juice in the containers to help. BUT, shredded chicken or chicken mixed in things is fine, etc. It is weird but I have adapted to it.

My VA dr said this is a life long commitment. Follow up and Annual upkeep should be a priority. I came here for information and support. I am in a good place mentally. I do have some excellent real life friends, but I recognize that not everyone of them will understand the ins and outs of this surgery. Thus I am here. I also has access to a counselor if I need one. I am enjoying looking things up. I also am seeing how supportive everyone is. The procedure is possible RNY unless scar tissue is found from gall bladder or hysterectomy then it could be a sleeve. This is what I am looking for. Bless every one of you.
Roni, I was worried about the same thing as I had gall bladder surgery in 1987 and hysterectomy in 2004. My surgeon was able to do the bypass with not any issues. He did say that he had to adjust for some scar tissue and had to cut through some but not too bad and that it worked out fine. I had bypass on 8/5/21 and have lost 128lb and am at goal weight 13 months after surgery. Yes, this is a life-long commitment but so worth it. I wish you the best and if you need anything, please feel free to reach out.

Progress is being made. I still have my Va weight loss support group monthly. Did that by video yesterday. Topic was chronic conditions/pain. So with the month of June’s challenges such as on June 17 I found myself overworking in the yard After the fact. At the end of the day I could barely move sit stand lay down any movement causing serious pain. the plan was putting myself on recovery for twelve days in addition to meds for muscle spasms and pain meds left over from previous times. Including three trips to chiropractor and one visit for a deep tissue massage therapist. The massage almost set me back, Just when I thought I was getting better, I broke a crown in my lower left jaw. And June 29 the dentist removed the roots from that tooth to set up for implant In the future. Started antibiotics. Three days later July 3 I was admitted to hospital for 11mm kidney (half inch ish in size, serious size) stone lodged in scar tissue in right ureter. Put on 4-5 continuous saline drips with pain meds and antibiotic. I needed the rest and back finally reached no pain Level. July 4 around 7pm dr was able to laser the stone into pieces and make it able to pass. For extra improvement a stent was put in ureter to keep it from closing. Appt on 17 to get stent removed. Stents are uncomfortable and make you think that you have to pee constantly.

at the annual bariatric appointment in February i was chastised for not enough protein meats and not enough dairy. I have been trying figure out how to address this issue Since that appointment. life stepped up to add more variables to my circumstances. Husband had a massive heart attack on Good Friday, April 7. It was in march that he was evaluated as a good candidate for a defibrillator. there are two kinds of defibrillators but the dr would not guarantee either to do what they are supposed to do. The one was eliminated due to port for dialysis In the vein. The other was not guaranteed because he had a hernia in the sternum where it could interfere with restarting the heart. Husband had started back to work and was feeling this surgery was optional, not necessary. We were told if he had a heart attack it would be over quickly. I will admit when the heart attack happened I was traumatized, but was trained to act before react. I know in my heart I carried out his wishes. This gives me peace. Death is a part of life, not a happy part but finding peace is the best option. since Easter I have finally been working on trying to rearrange the menus and groceries and meal prep. I think I have finally reached a solution on how to add dairy. I have invested in a small ice cream maker. Supposed to make a piñata time. It arrived in mail today. I am thinking of using protein shakes as my milk base. So if I made my protein shakes without ice I can keep the leftovers to make ice cream as I want. Reviews suggest the ice cream is soft serve consistency or put in freezer for harder. Lunch and dinner swaps as peanut butter and jelly or ham salad sandwiche’s. I have special days for protein pancakes or waffles with bacon and/or both sausage. Really rare Italian beef broke down into three meals. Or on busy day treat of chicken tenders from Dairy Queen or burger from Hardee’s or Burger King.

the next part of my life is my activities, pool was not set up this year. But I have been focused on getting home repairs/improvements done that husband never did. So far been focusing on outdoors. After 15 years the gates to pool yard are in place and working. Most of the pool yard fence has been dog/escape proofed. Still have one section to repair. The need to clear the fence at front of house where the dogs play the most. When pool yard is finished they will have another larger yard to play and run in. The plan was to put in raised garden beds for husband. Thinks I will put the raised beds in anyways. I collected 7 tires to put blueberry, raspberry plants in? Maybe even blackberry plants. Will be a while. Right after Fourth of July storms went through and lifted the empty pool onto the fence. I know one of the rails is bent and it’s possible one of the seams ripped. I did get new baseboard heater and thermostat in main bathroom. Then the washing machine decided to give up the ghost. Have repairman scheduled to determine if it is worth saving. Hired a girl to come once a week to help me with organizing the messes left behind. When husband was alive if I cleaned anything he would proceed to clutter it up. That is another story. I am making progress and my friends are remarking on the improvements. Hence I feel validated. That is the current update be fun stay safe.

Back