• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Looking for a mentor/support before surgery.

Been really busy. I did get the deck boards in place and secured down yesterday. Today I worked on the ladders. Finished the afternoon with learning to use a skill saw ( never used one before) to cut the angle for the ramp. Used chain saw (old hat at this) to cut the 4x4 to attach to the ramp sides. My yard worker made a small ramp so I am gonna put it with my sides and 4x4 posts right height. I laid out the top boards for fit and I get to work on it tomorrow weather permitting. With that done I can put railings up and then vacuum pool and set up the filter. Goal June 1 st to open. I am so ready. Oh yeah I am going to make covers for the noodles they are disintegrating and I hate that stuff in the pool

Been really busy. I did get the deck boards in place and secured down yesterday. Today I worked on the ladders. Finished the afternoon with learning to use a skill saw ( never used one before) to cut the angle for the ramp. Used chain saw (old hat at this) to cut the 4x4 to attach to the ramp sides. My yard worker made a small ramp so I am gonna put it with my sides and 4x4 posts right height. I laid out the top boards for fit and I get to work on it tomorrow weather permitting. With that done I can put railings up and then vacuum pool and set up the filter. Goal June 1 st to open. I am so ready. Oh yeah I am going to make covers for the noodles they are disintegrating and I hate that stuff in the pool
You’re a busy bee!! Hope you’re taking pictures of all your hard work!

I think I finally found the way to upload a picture it finally let me resize this. Today I had appt with VA Move/Bariatric dr by video. Bad news is I weighed 11 pounds heavier than two weeks ago. After talking with dr, it is determined that my eating schedule is off and I was missing meals and adding the food too late to catch up at end of day. We both agree the stress I have been under to get deck built before permit expired was part of the problem, in addition to keeping the regular yard work up to date and the plan is to get meal/snack times back on track. Part two is to weigh in at two weeks and see if there is a difference without the stress. I still need to paint it but the permit is completed in time. The weight gain is a set back but not the end of the world. In between raindrops I finished the railings today. Picked up the tools and put them away and stacked the misc wood pieces. Later i skimmed the cottonwood seeds from the surface of the pool. Then I set up the hose on the leaf vacuum for tomorrow. After I vacuum I should be able to hook up the pool filter and then spray the chemical (has to sit for 24 hours) to finish the clean up of the pool on Friday. I have so many pics to share.

Attachments

• 3426D80C-F64F-4691-A5C7-704245F440BC.jpeg
    3426D80C-F64F-4691-A5C7-704245F440BC.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 68
Hi I am Roni. I have been in the Move program at the VA in IA City IA for three years(actually longer). It is required before referring for bariatric surgery. Dec 3 I will meet with the surgeon to determine if I am eligible. Initially I was more interested in weight loss by medication, that had some obstacles but I was able to overcome them. I eat a lot of sweets when I am stressed( was really bad at last location I worked..gained almost 100 pounds) I am retired now. I have been on a 1500 diabetic diet log since July. I have lost 14-15 pounds since July to now. I have serious pain in my left hip and I have trouble walking. Exercise is a challenge. I am hoping things will be less painful when I lose some of this weight. now I am to meet with the dr. Spoke with psychiatrist for the second time yesterday, she likes how I am putting effort and research into my journey. I explained to her I recognize this as a commitment and there is no pedaling backwards down the road.
Welcome! You would definitely find alot of support on here. I havent had my surgery yet, but in the process of getting the surgery. I didnt have any requirements to meet for my insurance, but the only the only requirements I have is the ones that my physicians required of me before he perform the surgery. Which is basically whatever test or labs I have to get done. As of now I have to get a EGD done which im schedule for, nutritions appointment to go over the pre-OP and post-OP diet which I have been schedule for already as well.. I have been accepted in the bariatric program at Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans, Louisiana. I'm very ready and excited that I have started the process, but also nervous at the same time. I always get nervous when it comes to any procedures. Just stay focus and be mentally and physically prepared then everything should be ok.

Welcome! You would definitely find alot of support on here. I havent had my surgery yet, but in the process of getting the surgery. I didnt have any requirements to meet for my insurance, but the only the only requirements I have is the ones that my physicians required of me before he perform the surgery. Which is basically whatever test or labs I have to get done. As of now I have to get a EGD done which im schedule for, nutritions appointment to go over the pre-OP and post-OP diet which I have been schedule for already as well.. I have been accepted in the bariatric program at Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans, Louisiana. I'm very ready and excited that I have started the process, but also nervous at the same time. I always get nervous when it comes to any procedures. Just stay focus and be mentally and physically prepared then everything should be ok.
Thank you. I am 15 months past surgery and I am pleased you have found my story. I wish for you much success on your journey. This is an awesome place for support, information and encouragement.

New update on they journey. Moved shopping day to Wednesday this week since weather was not cooperating. Thursday I finished the leaf vac and decided to get in pool to brush the walls and floor for next step in cleaning. Filter was still not hooked up. When I was getting in the pool I had trouble using the inside ladder it was moving in the water some, and scared me. I fell in the pool, didn’t get face or hair wet but my right wrist hurt something fierce. I struggled to get out of the pool after brushing everything down. My shins are bruised pretty good on my right leg climbing off the ladder on to the deck. I have right hand wrist braces from 2005 and was able to stabilize my sore wrist. I even used husband’s frozen sweet and sour sauce from his shrimp as a cold pack. I also got a little too much sun on my shoulders. Put Mary Kay After Sun it took care of the extra sun right away. I was going to rest Friday but a friend of mine showed up to help me with yard work. We worked on mowing, weed eating, edging and organizing. Even moved the outdoor swing in the pool yard so I can work on leveling ground for the patio squares I have on hand. I made a list to get some clamps for the ladder and add extra screws in deck to reinforce the inside pool ladder. Husband and I went to store to get the extra parts for the pool ladder and deck Friday night. The pain has been interfering with my sleep so I went to outpatient clinic today. My wrist is not broke and the dr said 7-10 days with brace and see about getting some physical therapy if not better. I rested most of the day today, but got husband to come and advise/help get the pool filter up and running. Had to unbury the inside pieces on the filter tank to reset the water flow in the tank and then I was finally able to get the filter top on securely and the filter is running with no leaks. I am happy. I can say my meal times are back on track since Tuesday but I am not going to be a slave to the scale. More adventures coming so have fun and be safe.

Well at my last weigh in check after two weeks I have lost 1 of the 11 pounds gained I am going in the right direction. I have been playing in the pool starting at about 7 pm to 9 pm. My local best friend and her husband have come by to play in the pool with me. It is such a good feeling. Had a minor set back with the pool the inside ladder for the pool separated. So I put a ladder mat inside and then an 8 x 8 x 16 in cinder block under it and it has stabilized the ladder. I ordered spa steps to put in place of the cinder block but have yet to get them put together and in the pool. They only arrived today. I have been missing my noodle chairs in the pool, after time they start to break down, I decided to make covers for the noodles. Bought the fabric about a month ago but been busy. I did get 6 pieces cut out last night I did the final two. Three were 14 inches wide and three were 10 inches wide for different size noodles. I still have some material left and I still have some smaller noodles time will tell. Looking at the pool webbing for in pool chairs I am going to need some more material since the older ones are kinda ripping. Some days are too much fun. Heat index was 102 degrees today so I stayed in and worked on the noodle covers. Finished the 6th one at 11 pm. The most recent project with the pool was staining the wood part of the deck still need to finish the board on the inside of the pool and part of the back side where the ladder is. Last Thursday night storms came through and knocked over my fire wood holder for my fire pit. So I moved it and changed from 2x4 x6 6f to metal fence posts after burying cinder blocks last Friday. Still cutting down some of the logs that were too long. One afternoon I sat and used pool chlorine and rags to clean the pool floats to avoid any algae contamination from last year. Well pending how I feel tomorrow will determine if I finish the painting. Overall I am doing well I am back on track eating and wearing a size 16 swimsuit. Wait most recent project is tilling ground leveling, laying landscape fabric, putting rubberized pavers down to put concrete patio blocks on. Got the pavers done but need help with the concrete ones. Be fun stay safe.

Attachments

• 1ED16321-25BD-4B92-BAE4-01C53850D0E9.jpeg
    1ED16321-25BD-4B92-BAE4-01C53850D0E9.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 7A526559-1769-49EF-9902-39E9EBEF5D3C.jpeg
    7A526559-1769-49EF-9902-39E9EBEF5D3C.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 54
Some catch up photos from my adventures. First pic is before from 2018. Second pic is dragon float third is island float. Fourth is pre tilling for patio squares, fifth is the wood holder before winds knocked it over. The red suit is this years photo.

Attachments

• 837CA1BB-E15A-494D-89FC-4AA4E4D5D23D.jpeg
    837CA1BB-E15A-494D-89FC-4AA4E4D5D23D.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 2F421895-0A29-469D-992F-32A31D6AE089.jpeg
    2F421895-0A29-469D-992F-32A31D6AE089.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 03D35F6F-F338-47A2-97AD-A65379D6B039.jpeg
    03D35F6F-F338-47A2-97AD-A65379D6B039.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 8295D317-CF64-4821-AF60-E99BC9736A22.jpeg
    8295D317-CF64-4821-AF60-E99BC9736A22.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 50
  • B00CE274-9C08-49C8-8B11-D485E82931D1.jpeg
    B00CE274-9C08-49C8-8B11-D485E82931D1.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 384C675D-07BE-4292-B694-1D6C6FE0EAC6.jpeg
    384C675D-07BE-4292-B694-1D6C6FE0EAC6.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
The sewing projects. First is canvas yard work apron. The second is the swimming pool tote third is apron is one my friend’s who bought the material for me to make for him he makes the best turtle cheesecakes. I am being good and not eating them. The fourth is the watermelon tote with end pockets. The fifth is the lemon grocery tote with no pockets. The sixth picture is all the masks I worked on some I just added the nose pieces the seventh pic is the small medium and large masks for requests for size needed. The eighth and ninth pictures are masks my friend requested. The last pic is an apron I made in cotton before I made the one in canvas. Hope you enjoy this.

Attachments

• 86247893-182D-41CC-A65F-8090DCB4C75C.jpeg
    86247893-182D-41CC-A65F-8090DCB4C75C.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 316DD638-3624-4C6C-AE98-69C0F02C7363.jpeg
    316DD638-3624-4C6C-AE98-69C0F02C7363.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 47
  • FB009D39-075F-4B42-B961-0E86451A0DD5.jpeg
    FB009D39-075F-4B42-B961-0E86451A0DD5.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 80E9E621-B5F7-4BAC-979D-48CD470028F2.jpeg
    80E9E621-B5F7-4BAC-979D-48CD470028F2.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 46
  • EFF418B9-B0A2-4C78-8639-F0E3A6C093F3.jpeg
    EFF418B9-B0A2-4C78-8639-F0E3A6C093F3.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 48
  • BB0CB4F4-EB35-43EF-940F-936CF6E95876.jpeg
    BB0CB4F4-EB35-43EF-940F-936CF6E95876.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 08A77964-C613-496F-AD5E-1DBAC7ADA685.jpeg
    08A77964-C613-496F-AD5E-1DBAC7ADA685.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 09FB4C6B-A262-493D-BFE9-B96DC8B83915.jpeg
    09FB4C6B-A262-493D-BFE9-B96DC8B83915.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 45
  • EEDB4C48-C079-42AB-B555-0BAD6EE257CE.jpeg
    EEDB4C48-C079-42AB-B555-0BAD6EE257CE.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 791B752B-AAEA-4984-A2B5-D1C6D509CF9D.jpeg
    791B752B-AAEA-4984-A2B5-D1C6D509CF9D.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I have only lost 1 pound of the gained weight but I am holding steady with losing that 1 pound so far.

For those of you who don’t know I use my projects as exercise. Made a list last night of yard projects either in process or need to be done. I am glad I don’t have a deadline to have it done by or I would be in trouble. There are 17 projects. One is making the covers for twelve more noodles (they are the smaller ones) 9i think there are enough to make a life raft) that were in the shed. I will save that for a rainy day. Others include removing stumps from various places in the yard, getting the second wood holder (cinder blocks) buried in the ground but also cutting the wood to fit in the rack afterwards, some wood is just laying around the yard. I did get the tool holders installed in the big shed and was able to make things look neat. I have used zip ties to put one dollar pool lights at the top edge of the pool legs and I was outside last night when they came on, they were so pretty. I did find a store in Burlington Iowa that had the concrete patio squares I wanted. Took the road trip today to get them. Still need to get the other size after figuring out how to lay them out and how many I needed. Husband has a truck but won’t use it to help. So in the SUV they go. Other tasks include clearing the growth off the fence on the north side of the house. That involves removing the 2 ft fencing against the 4 ft fencing in which the growth is between the two fences. The person who put up the 4 ft didn’t remove the 2 ft and it has been a nightmare to stop the growth there. I will get to it in time. Another project will be using the hydroshot sprayer to clean all the winter pool pillows and checking them for air leaks and mending them. The other hydroshot project will be spraying green off the north side of the house. Well I will stop for now, had a great time in the pool tonight after got back from Burlington. Be fun stay safe.

I have only lost 1 pound of the gained weight but I am holding steady with losing that 1 pound so far.

For those of you who don’t know I use my projects as exercise. Made a list last night of yard projects either in process or need to be done. I am glad I don’t have a deadline to have it done by or I would be in trouble. There are 17 projects. One is making the covers for twelve more noodles (they are the smaller ones) 9i think there are enough to make a life raft) that were in the shed. I will save that for a rainy day. Others include removing stumps from various places in the yard, getting the second wood holder (cinder blocks) buried in the ground but also cutting the wood to fit in the rack afterwards, some wood is just laying around the yard. I did get the tool holders installed in the big shed and was able to make things look neat. I have used zip ties to put one dollar pool lights at the top edge of the pool legs and I was outside last night when they came on, they were so pretty. I did find a store in Burlington Iowa that had the concrete patio squares I wanted. Took the road trip today to get them. Still need to get the other size after figuring out how to lay them out and how many I needed. Husband has a truck but won’t use it to help. So in the SUV they go. Other tasks include clearing the growth off the fence on the north side of the house. That involves removing the 2 ft fencing against the 4 ft fencing in which the growth is between the two fences. The person who put up the 4 ft didn’t remove the 2 ft and it has been a nightmare to stop the growth there. I will get to it in time. Another project will be using the hydroshot sprayer to clean all the winter pool pillows and checking them for air leaks and mending them. The other hydroshot project will be spraying green off the north side of the house. Well I will stop for now, had a great time in the pool tonight after got back from Burlington. Be fun stay safe.
girl, you work your ass off. you should be the lightest strongest person in the group.

Back