• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Losing 5-10% of weight before surgery Question?

KayChanel

Hello, I am required to lose 5-10% of my weight before surgery. I am about to have my 6th and final months weigh in with my pcp and my weight is up 16lbs from my first visit with my bariatric surgeon but I am down 9lbs from the highest I have been in this 6 month period . I have made many adjustments to my diet I've cut out soda and candy which were my biggest problems I've been drinking lots of water and have been exercising regularly, but I am not seeing the weight come down. I have recently purchased protein shakes from bariatric advantage. I am concerned that if I do not lose this amount of weight I will be unable to have surgery has anyone else had an issue losing a required amount and does anyone have any tips to share with assisting me with losing more pounds before surgery?

Thanks

Markita

Hi Markita, Welcome. When we start changing our habits for our pre surgery requirements and start execising and changing our eating habits our bodies will respond in kind, when our body is used to being a certain weight for so many years it will try and retain weight to stay at what it thinks is normal and when we reduce our colorie intake the body will try and store what we take in believing it is starving also we start to gain muscle from the increased execise we start doing which will seem live we are gaining or not losing weight when we are actually replacing fat with muscle or gaining addition muscle weight (I learned all this from my support groups facilitator who is a educated in nutrion and bariatrics and hold several degrees).

I don't neccesarily agree with some insurance company requirements for pre authorization for surgery although on paper their requirements may make sence they do not take into account the countless times we have been down this diet path before and the result has always been the same, some weight loss in the short term ending in addition weight gain in the long term.

However most surgeons will require a post op meal plan low in fat and carbs and high in protien to shrink the liver make surgery easier and healing time faster, this will usually be concurant with all the pre surgey testing and followed with a liquid diet for a minimum of one week prior to surgery although it does differ with the bariatric surgery group that oversees the program.

I think you should talk with your surgeon and nutritionist on how you can meet your insurance companies requirements, I know I had lost about 5 lbs on the liquid diet pre surgery, but hopefully they will also rely on your surgeons recomendations who is the expert in this matter. Let us know what you find out. :cool: Tom

Thanks you Tom for your response. I was given information on the pre-op diet to help shrink the liver and I have basically been already eating most of those foods listed on the meal plan...I will call my drs office and try to get some assistance I think I only have 7 more pounds to go to reach the 5-10% so maybe I will use the bariatric advantage shakes twice a day with just one meal to reach that goal.

Kay,

I tried to follow the pre-op diet before I actually had to follow it to prep me and move me into the type of eating I would need to be doing post surg, etc. Between that time & the 2 wks before the surg I lost 18 lbs & it really wasn't that bad.

Be honest, ask for help. They must have a dietician on staff; I met w/ours prior to the scheduling, pre-op & pre-admin & before they even sent the paperwork to the ins co. Work on starting to exercise now to the best of your ability. Even if you stay the same you may be building muscle but losing some fat. Muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less room which is how some people can weigh more than you think but be smaller than you would imagine for the weight.

Your team wants you to succeed; they are used to dealing w/folks who have setbacks & will work with you if you make a concerted effort to follow the guidelines and/or requirements.

Best wishes to you in your journey.

Markita-Welcome to the forum. You might try writing down what you eat so you can track your calories. It makes it easier if you can actually see what you have eaten every day and is a useful tool to use before and after surgery. Go to myfitnesspal.com and use their food tracker. It's free and very easy to use. DO NOT use their calorie recommendations because it is not for bariatric patients. You can monitor your calories, protein, sodium, etc.

PAT has a great idea, do a food log and see where you may be eating more calories than you are using daily. I was told if you gain weight, my doctor would not do the surgery so I hope I do not gain and pretty sure that two protein drinks a day with one small meal will have me lose weight. That should get you on your way to weight loss, two protein drink meals and one meal of food, 3 oz of protein and some veggies and fruit for desert. Drink coffee if you can to up your metabolism if you feel it is safe for you. Best of Luck!! you can do it!

Back