• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Missing my fat or Muscle Tone??

Maybe I am missing the fat which used to make me feel like I had some type of muscle mass or tone to my arms, and legs. Now I feel bones, and no muscle at all. I worry about this because I do not want to look like a skin draped skeleton. That was my bigegst fear prior to having surgery. I used to, (granted it was under a layer of fat but...) I could actually feel muscle in my thighs, and calves, even arms. Now I feel nothing. :/ I can only hope that it will begin to redevelop with exercise. Suggestions? Hmmm maybe Im just missing my fat...is that even a possibility?

Maybe I am missing the fat which used to make me feel like I had some type of muscle mass or tone to my arms, and legs. Now I feel bones, and no muscle at all. I worry about this because I do not want to look like a skin draped skeleton. That was my bigegst fear prior to having surgery. I used to, (granted it was under a layer of fat but...) I could actually feel muscle in my thighs, and calves, even arms. Now I feel nothing. :/ I can only hope that it will begin to redevelop with exercise. Suggestions? Hmmm maybe Im just missing my fat...is that even a possibility?

Have you been eating enough protein? Protein builds muscles. I read that if you don't eat enough protein that your body will cannibalize on itself, dissolving muscle to feed itself, in worst cases it can even dissolve the heart which is muscle.

I was just talking to my husband about this same thing last night... Make sure your getting between 70 and 80 / 85 grams of good quality of protein a day.

My exercise physiologist made the suggestion to have a supplemental protein shake after working out to help with feeding and fueling muscle production...

I know I can feel my muscles with no issue, what caught my attention is that I can now feel my bones and extensions through and below the muscle now that I do not have that 100 pound layer of fat padding covering my muscle, bones and extensions.

I am not used to feeling my ribs, hips, spine, etc...

Personally I would call the surgeons office and speak to his nurse and talk to her about this...

Yes, make sure you are taking enough protein in each day; otherwise you will lose muscle.

The simple fact is when we lose weight in the numbers we are talking about it is mostly fat but inevitably some muscle loss. We try to minimize muscle loss by supplementing and assuring we get our required protein in each day be it food, shakes or drinks.

Also, more important is to get into training and toning and then rebuilding muscle mass by weight training. As we get thinner and put on more muscle, it will help us to maintain a healthy weight when we finally get to the optimum weight our body wants us to be at.

Ralph

I spoke to my nutritionist yesterday about muscle pain and weakness issues. I was told to increase my complex carb servings up to 2 servings a day, add a small amount of fat as well as add an additional protein shake to my daily routine.

I am power walking 2.5 miles a day which was not being supported by my intake.. Today with the new additions I am not having the muscle issues.

I spoke to my nutritionist yesterday about muscle pain and weakness issues. I was told to increase my complex carb servings up to 2 servings a day, add a small amount of fat as well as add an additional protein shake to my daily routine.

I am power walking 2.5 miles a day which was not being supported by my intake.. Today with the new additions I am not having the muscle issues.

Hi,

Also very important. Make sure you are taking enough potassium as well as magnesium. Both are known to relieve muscle aches. I used to have my mother-in-law take SloMag 64 to ease her muscle pains and it worked.

Check into it a bit. Ask the nutritionist as well. Read up on magnesium. I hope you are taking all the necessary supplements as a gastric bypass patient with malabsorption. For example, I am taking a klor-con each day which is a substantial amount of potassium. Now, with respect to potassium you have to be careful. Your doctor should be checking levels that they don't get too low or too high. It is a balance that is required. Magnesium you really cannot take too much. If you do you will know it by changing bowel movements.

Ralph

Hi,

Also very important. Make sure you are taking enough potassium as well as magnesium. Both are known to relieve muscle aches. I used to have my mother-in-law take SloMag 64 to ease her muscle pains and it worked.

Check into it a bit. Ask the nutritionist as well. Read up on magnesium. I hope you are taking all the necessary supplements as a gastric bypass patient with malabsorption. For example, I am taking a klor-con each day which is a substantial amount of potassium. Now, with respect to potassium you have to be careful. Your doctor should be checking levels that they don't get too low or too high. It is a balance that is required. Magnesium you really cannot take too much. If you do you will know it by changing bowel movements.

Ralph

I am on magnesium and Klor Con 2xs a day per my surgeons advice. It is extremely important especially because of the mal absorptive issues associated with Bypass. I was not having muscle cramps, it was the burn and weakness that got me.
Now that I have upped the complex carbs to 2 1 ounce servings and the additional protein I did not have issues on my walk today.

Ralph I am on supplements. I have a twice a day ritual I follow everyday... Not to mention my Lunch dose of elemental iron...

I am on magnesium and Klor Con 2xs a day per my surgeons advice. It is extremely important especially because of the mal absorptive issues associated with Bypass. I was not having muscle cramps, it was the burn and weakness that got me.
Now that I have upped the complex carbs to 2 1 ounce servings and the additional protein I did not have issues on my walk today.

Ralph I am on supplements. I have a twice a day ritual I follow everyday... Not to mention my Lunch dose of elemental iron...

OK I see. By the way how many grams of carbs do you have each day? How many are complex? This is good information for us all to know.

Thanks,

Ralph

My carb average per day is no more than 20 to 25 grams a day at this time... I am still at 2 ounces of lean protein per meal, 2-1 ounce servings of complex carbs(usually vegan, non fat refried black beans or quinoa, 2-1 ounce servings of fresh fruit or fresh veggies + 1 and 1/2 to 2 protein shakes a day. The additional protein shake is drank between breakfast and lunch. My nutritionists concern was that my body was using to much of my protein to keep my muscles going because I was not getting enough complex carbs in to keep the machine well oiled.

The extra serving of daily carbs boosted my complex carb grams by 9.9 carbs which has smoothed everything out for now...

My carb average per day is no more than 20 to 25 grams a day at this time... I am still at 2 ounces of lean protein per meal, 2-1 ounce servings of complex carbs(usually vegan, non fat refried black beans or quinoa, 2-1 ounce servings of fresh fruit or fresh veggies + 1 and 1/2 to 2 protein shakes a day. The additional protein shake is drank between breakfast and lunch. My nutritionists concern was that my body was using to much of my protein to keep my muscles going because I was not getting enough complex carbs in to keep the machine well oiled.

The extra serving of daily carbs boosted my complex carb grams by 9.9 carbs which has smoothed everything out for now...

I have generally had 60grams to 100 grams of carbs a day while staying within my 1200 calorie limit and consuming usually 80 to 90 grams of protein.

Perhaps I should be cutting back carbs a bit more.

Ralph

I have generally had 60grams to 100 grams of carbs a day while staying within my 1200 calorie limit and consuming usually 80 to 90 grams of protein.

Ralph

Hi Ralph, I read somewhere that it's very hard to lose weight if you go over 30 carbs a day. You have lost all your weight eating 60 to 100 carbs a day? Wow thats amazing.. I eat about 10 to 15 carbs daily.

Cheyenne

Ralph

Keep in mind your a taller man so your requirements are going to be different than mine being that I am only 5'4 and female.

Ralph keep in mind I literally had surgery 2xs in less than 60 days. I was set back due to my second surgery, so technically I was back to square 1 food plan wise due to the gallbladder and limited exercise while recuperating from that mess. Not to mention food intolerances.

For some reason I am having issues getting my carbs up. I am also having some trouble getting all required amounts of food in everyday. Some days I can do it and others not at all..

I will follow up with my nutritionist on March 5th when I see my surgeon for a follow up due to some issues that have popped up. She may have some suggestions on some ways I can get it all in and done.. :)

Hi Ralph, I read somewhere that it's very hard to lose weight if you go over 30 carbs a day. You have lost all your weight eating 60 to 100 carbs a day? Wow thats amazing.. I eat about 10 to 15 carbs daily.

Cheyenne

Hi Cheyenne,

The 30 carbs is remnants of the Atkins or low carb diets. If you get your carbs down in the range of less than 30grams you get your body into ketosis mode, which many people choose to do even with bariatric program. This makes for fat burning and increased weight loss. The atkins diet focused on low carbs and fat and DID NOT RESTRICT CALORIE INTAKE. The idea is with ketosis happening and high protein you tend to be sated and without even counting calories you tend to eat less. It isn't always true though.

However, with the bariatric diet protein and calorie restriction are the two key points. Get your protein of 80-90 grams and keep your caloric input below 1200. Many people in doing this also restrict their carb intake as well probably making for better/quicker weight loss perhaps.

Regardless, if I am at 1200 calories a day and also having some reasonable activity, which typically places me below net 1000 calories per day, I am and do lose weight. Perhaps I would lose more weight in a shorter period of time if I also restricted carbs. For example, this month I am on track for losing 8 pounds during the month of February.

Last month I lost (January) I lost 7 pounds. So my rate of weight loss per month has slowed down compared to the initial months of November and December. That is OK by me. If I continue at a rate of say just 6 pounds per month, I will be under 200 pounds in another 4 months. Guess what? That is fantastic !!!

Perhaps I could restrict carbs and be under 200 pounds in 3 months instead of 4 months. You know what. I don't need to do that. If I get stalled and end up on a weight plateau, the way I do mix it up is to restrict carbs too for a few days up to a week.

I simply do not want to be so restrictive.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Hi Cheyenne,

The 30 carbs is remnants of the Atkins or low carb diets. If you get your carbs down in the range of less than 30grams you get your body into ketosis mode, which many people choose to do even with bariatric program. This makes for fat burning and increased weight loss. The atkins diet focused on low carbs and fat and DID NOT RESTRICT CALORIE INTAKE. The idea is with ketosis happening and high protein you tend to be sated and without even counting calories you tend to eat less. It isn't always true though.

However, with the bariatric diet protein and calorie restriction are the two key points. Get your protein of 80-90 grams and keep your caloric input below 1200. Many people in doing this also restrict their carb intake as well probably making for better/quicker weight loss perhaps.

Regardless, if I am at 1200 calories a day and also having some reasonable activity, which typically places me below net 1000 calories per day, I am and do lose weight. Perhaps I would lose more weight in a shorter period of time if I also restricted carbs. For example, this month I am on track for losing 8 pounds during the month of February.

Last month I lost (January) I lost 7 pounds. So my rate of weight loss per month has slowed down compared to the initial months of November and December. That is OK by me. If I continue at a rate of say just 6 pounds per month, I will be under 200 pounds in another 4 months. Guess what? That is fantastic !!!

Perhaps I could restrict carbs and be under 200 pounds in 3 months instead of 4 months. You know what. I don't need to do that. If I get stalled and end up on a weight plateau, the way I do mix it up is to restrict carbs too for a few days up to a week.

I simply do not want to be so restrictive.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Hi Ralph! If eating carbs works for you then that is a big plus. It's a lot more enjoyable to diet that way. Wish I could do it.

Lately when I try to eat most any carb I feel sick to my stomach and light headed. I can't tell you how long it's been since I could eat a bite of bread or a little piece of sweet potato. When the family would eat spaghetti, I used to grab a spoonful to taste but the last time I did it, I had terrible stomach cramps and diarrhea. The farther out from surgery I get the worse this seems to get. So, for the last month I have eaten hardly any carbs at all. I'm sure this is from having my intestine re-routed. It's okay though, it will keep me on the straight and narrow, hopefully.

Cheyenne

Hi Ralph! If eating carbs works for you then that is a big plus. It's a lot more enjoyable to diet that way. Wish I could do it.

Lately when I try to eat most any carb I feel sick to my stomach and light headed. I can't tell you how long it's been since I could eat a bite of bread or a little piece of sweet potato. When the family would eat spaghetti, I used to grab a spoonful to taste but the last time I did it, I had terrible stomach cramps and diarrhea. The farther out from surgery I get the worse this seems to get. So, for the last month I have eaten hardly any carbs at all. I'm sure this is from having my intestine re-routed. It's okay though, it will keep me on the straight and narrow, hopefully.

Cheyenne

Gee that is so sad.

I will have a slice of whole wheat in the morning with my 2 eggs.

If my wife makes pasta I will have a 1/2 cup with my meal. I make sure I have my protein first. Often I don't finish the 1/2 cup of pasta. However, the only issue I have is running up against being full.

I can have chocolate without issues and ice cream too. But I do it in small portions when I do it. The other day I did "pig out" on a chocolate bar; boy was that good. But again, it was within my 1200 calorie budget.

So I guess I am a bit lucky to be able to mix in some carbs. I do try to keep them in the 60 to 100 gram amount per day. Sometimes I have crept over as high as 130grams. Other days I am at 60 or below.

Lets look at this month: Under 60grams 1 day, under 100 grams 7 days, under 150 grams 16 days and over 150 grams 4 days. So as I look back I am generally in the range of 100 to 150 grams of carbs a day.

Gee that is so sad.

If my wife makes pasta I will have a 1/2 cup with my meal. I make sure I have my protein first. Often I don't finish the 1/2 cup of pasta. However, the only issue I have is running up against being full.

I can have chocolate without issues and ice cream too. But I do it in small portions when I do it. The other day I did "pig out" on a chocolate bar; boy was that good. But again, it was within my 1200 calorie budget.

So I guess I am a bit lucky to be able to mix in some carbs. I do try to keep them in the 60 to 100 gram amount per day. Sometimes I have crept over as high as 130grams. Other days I am at 60 or below.

Lets look at this month: Under 60grams 1 day, under 100 grams 7 days, under 150 grams 16 days and over 150 grams 4 days. So as I look back I am generally in the range of 100 to 150 grams of carbs a day.

Once I hit my 6 months post op time I will be adding whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, white potatoes, rice and other such types of carbs....

Gee that is so sad.

Thats awesome Ralph that you can eat such a variety of foods and do so well! Today I tried a couple bites of pizza. We will see if I can handle it, I hope I don't get diarrhea. :)

Cheyenne

Thats awesome Ralph that you can eat such a variety of foods and do so well! Today I tried a couple bites of pizza. We will see if I can handle it, I hope I don't get diarrhea. :)

Cheyenne

Pizza can be an issue with the oil. Also the dough.

Toasted whole wheat bread is NOT pizza. But I do love sausage pizza for sure. I had one slice about a month ago. I went slowly, but I don't remember if I really had an issue with it.

I do enjoy my oatmeal raisin cookie. I will have one sometimes two on some days. It is a treat.

I might have an ice cream. That would happen maybe once to three times a month; not often and again about a 1/2 to 1 cup and that is that.

If I see that my weight loss stalls, then I would restrict carbs a bit more. However, I haven't had to as long as I keep to the 1200 calorie limit. I have gone over a few times but not by much.

Pizza can be an issue with the oil. Also the dough.

Toasted whole wheat bread is NOT pizza. But I do love sausage pizza for sure. I had one slice about a month ago. I went slowly, but I don't remember if I really had an issue with it.

I do enjoy my oatmeal raisin cookie. I will have one sometimes two on some days. It is a treat.

I might have an ice cream. That would happen maybe once to three times a month; not often and again about a 1/2 to 1 cup and that is that.

If I see that my weight loss stalls, then I would restrict carbs a bit more. However, I haven't had to as long as I keep to the 1200 calorie limit. I have gone over a few times but not by much.

Ralph, You must not be addicted to carbs like some of are! I wouldn't go near a cookie or ice cream, much less a candy bar. One would just not be enough.

Ralph, You must not be addicted to carbs like some of are! I wouldn't go near a cookie or ice cream, much less a candy bar. One would just not be enough.

This is so true for me. One bite of anything with flour or sugar and I am craving crazy things. I have to stay away. When I do have something it is a battle to get back on track.

Back