• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Mock potato salad

Pat99

MOCK POTATO SALAD

INGREDIENTS:
Small head of cauliflower
3 or 4 chopped hard boiled eggs
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (optional)
2 tablespoons sweet relish (optional)
1/2 to 3/4 cup lite mayonnaise
1 teaspoon mustard
Salt and pepper

METHOD:
Break cauliflower into small florets and cut “stems” into bite size pieces. Steam until just barely tender, a bit firm is better than too soft. It’s better to steam on a rack to avoid making the cauliflower waterlogged. Drain well in colander and place into a bowl that is lined with a clean kitchen towel or a lot of paper towels. Cover and place in fridge and allow to drain thoroughly, overnight is best. If you do not drain enough the dressing will get watery and run off the salad.
Finely chop celery and onions. Mix together mustard, lite mayo and sweet relish. Toss the drained cauliflower with salt and pepper to taste. Mix the cauliflower, celery and onion with the dressing. Chop eggs and lightly toss with salad. Chill for a couple of hours before serving.

Mmmm. My mom used to make the same thing but I remember she would also add cottage cheese to it, I have tried to make it before and it never came out the same, I think the cauliflower is the missing ingredients. It is the perfect bariatric dish. Thanks. :cool: Tom

People are always surprised that cauliflower can come out tasting like potatoes. South Beach has a recipe for mock mashed potatoes, and when I made them you couldn't tell the difference.

Nana-Please let me know how you like it. I have been craving it since I posted the recipe but I need to make a trip to the store to get everything to make it. I also need to make myself some more soup since me and Molly (my Beagle) ate the last of it 2 days ago *LOL*

People are always surprised that cauliflower can come out tasting like potatoes. South Beach has a recipe for mock mashed potatoes, and when I made them you couldn't tell the difference.

Nana-Why don't you post the recipe for mock mashed potatoes? I would love to make them.

Back