• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

my surgery is scheduled for July 8th. I have questions!

NorCalGirl56

I am scheduled for the Gastric Sleeve surgery on July 8th. I start my 10 day liquid diet on June 28th. I am a diabetic taking Novolog 70/20 injections twice a day. With the drastic change in calorie intake right before and after surgery, I'm worried about low blood sugar happening a lot. I go in for pre-op tomorrow, so I will be asking about this, but just curious about the issue. Also, I've had constipation issues the past few months - will this get worse? Best way to deal with this? I also have neuropathy in my feet and tingling in my hands - will this get better? One last question for now - I have sleep apnea but couldn't tolerate the mask - how does the hospital deal with untreated apnea? I had a small medical procedure last fall and had to spend the day in the hospital - couldn't get any rest due to the oxygen sensor going off every time I feel asleep and my apnea kicked in. Any information about these questions would be greatly appreciated!

NorCalGirl56,
These are very good questions. First with the liquid diet you should monitor your BS often and keep Glucose or OJ etc close at hand in case you need it. You may need to adjust your insulin, your doctor should help you on this subject. From what I understand your neuropathy should clear up as well as your apnea sometime after surgery. Everyone is different so can't give you a timeline.

While in the hospital you will have a nasal cannula after surgery. This might help with your apnea problem. Regardless you probably won't get enough sleep anyway, that's the nature of a hospital stay. Besides needing a lot of sleep for healing that your body will demand, the routine checks and procedures will keep you busy. Most are in the hospital for a short stay anyway. Keep a positive attitude, it will help the healing process and your successful weight loss.

Good luck with your pre op and surgery we will be thinking of you.

I couldn't tell you about all the medical questions but as for the constipation, add benefiber to every protein shake. Ask your team first but this helped me.

good luck and keep the questions coming

When you go in the hospital u will need to take your sleep machine. They will use it before you wake up after surgery.

I am scheduled for the Gastric Sleeve surgery on July 8th. I start my 10 day liquid diet on June 28th. I am a diabetic taking Novolog 70/20 injections twice a day. With the drastic change in calorie intake right before and after surgery, I'm worried about low blood sugar happening a lot. I go in for pre-op tomorrow, so I will be asking about this, but just curious about the issue. Also, I've had constipation issues the past few months - will this get worse? Best way to deal with this? I also have neuropathy in my feet and tingling in my hands - will this get better? One last question for now - I have sleep apnea but couldn't tolerate the mask - how does the hospital deal with untreated apnea? I had a small medical procedure last fall and had to spend the day in the hospital - couldn't get any rest due to the oxygen sensor going off every time I feel asleep and my apnea kicked in. Any information about these questions would be greatly appreciated!

NorCalGirl! Well today is THE Day! I hope everything went well and you are waking up to a new you. You're probably feeling a little groggy and disorientated but excited that you've passed through to the other side of Healthy. I wish you well and await your first post op posts. Hope you will feel better soon.

Back