• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My trip to the ER

NanaG67

I have been sick since last night. Not vomiting or anything like that, just having chest pain and it was hurting when I took deep breaths. So finally made it to the ER, I made sure that everyone was aware that I was a bariatric patient right away. They all had tons of questions for me like always. Anyway, did blood work, an EKG, took chest X-Rays. Diagnosis: Pleurisy....which is inflammation of the lining of the lungs. Not really sure what caused it. It could have been from an outpatient procedure I had done this week. They gave me a prescription for Tramadol. It hurts to breath, but I am glad that there is nothing wrong with my heart. :rolleyes:

Wow! That must have been scary, glad everything turned out to be ok, it should correct itself right:confused: Tom

The tramadol I was told will help with the inflammation, not sure how, as it is a pain pill. And yet, my blood pressure is really high this morning again. My blood sugar was awesome though 88....I'm not sure what to do at this point. The surgeon took me off the other blood pressure pills, and my pcp is on vacation until the 8th. Maybe I should start taking my other pills again?? I will call the surgeon's office this morning and see what they say to do...because I don't go back to see them till the end of August.

The high BP could be caused by the pain or your pain meds or a combination of both, with the weekend coming up quick it would probably be best to get ahold of one of you doctors to talk about what you should do if it does not return to normal soon. I don't think you can get any more normal than an 88 for a blood surgar. :cool: Tom

I agree with Tom about pain causing a BP spike and possibly the meds. You certainly do not want to wait until the 8th for medical intervention. I know it's tempting to start taking the BP pills again but that's risky too. If it was me, I would call a nurse "hot line" or go to an urgent care as soon as possible. High or even low BP is nothing to procrastinate over.

I called the surgeon and they told me to go back to taking my old medications as I was before the surgery...I don't see them until the 27th, but was told they would see me earlier if I need to go in. As for taking any new meds, I haven't been on anything new, today was the first time I even took a Tramadol.

Right now, nothing tastes good to me, I can barely eat, I only want to drink water most of the time. I tried to drink one of my regular protein drinks, and couldn't drink them. So I bought some EAS today, I am hoping to get those down.

I am glad you were able to get a hold of your doctor before the weekend. I remember my first year after the initial eating after being on protien shakes for what seemed like forever I too lost my appatite for food and always had to remind myself to eat or switch up some protien drinks because nothin else sounded good:p Hang in there you will find something that tastes good. :cool: Tom

NANA-at least you are able to drink water. As long as you keep yourself hydrated you should be OK with not eating for 2 or 3 days. If it goes longer than that you need to call your surgeon and have them get you in there. If you decide to try to eat something, and you should, make sure it's a lean protein. Eggs are a good choice, try making yourself an eggnog with an egg substitute like EggBeaters instead of taking a risk with raw eggs. If you use Lactaid milk it shouldn't upset your stomach like regular milk.

I started my old blood pressure pills yesterday, I have a friend that is a nurse and she said it will take a little bit for them to kick into my system. I'm trying to stay away from the pain killers unless I absolutely have to have them.

As far as protein, I purchased some EAS chocolate and vanilla, this morning I managed to get down 4.5 ounces of protein! :cool: Now I am drinking my water, and that is about all I am drinking. Down another 4 lbs on the scales this morning, feels pretty good.

I want to thank you all for your support!

Back