• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My weight goal

Kim M

Well I guess I have to change my goal. I did achieve the first one to be under 200 pounds. I still can't come up with a number. I feel in a way that by doing so I could be setting myself up for failure or disappointment. I think I might just ride it out to see where my body takes me. When I get to a place where I feel good and can maintain a weight, then maybe that will be my goal. I see most post a goal. So does anyone feel like me? Maybe because I have dieted all my life and it was always about reaching the number. Problem was I could get there, but not stay there. I just want this to be a different experience. I would really like some honest feedback. If you are not comfortable posting online, PM me. Thanks.

I'm in the same boat. Sometimes I feel like...who wouldn't want to be ten pounds under their goal?! I'm just shooting for healthy, and a goal weight of ???. I'll let ya'll know if I ever get there.

Kim M, I totally understand what you are saying. In this forum most of us say over and over "I just want to be healthy" but we're still obsessed with that scale and if it hits that magic number. I think your attitude is more realistic.

For me the goal is a motivator, something to be obtained. I too have been dieting for years and never been successful, but this cheating has its price and I'm not willing to pay it. I guess goals have always been a part of my life.

Well I chose my goal weight out of thin air and it is probobly above what someone my height should be acording to the BMI charts but what I thought might be good for me. I have been stable between 180 and 185 depending when I weigh myself and I feel good and can run and hike for miles a day if I want, if I reach my goal cool and if I don't cool, it is just a number to use as a guide for progress. So if you don't want a goal that is perfectly fine but remember it is just a number and if you never reach it but get close and you feel healthy and find life much easier and then you will have reached your ultimate goal of a healthy life. :cool: Tom

Goals are significant in weight loss. It gives you the determination to move forward on this journey. I didn't come up with my goal weight, it was directed by my surgeon where he wanted me to be at goal. Were any of you advised by your surgeon on what your goal weight should be?

Goals are significant in weight loss. It gives you the determination to move forward on this journey. I didn't come up with my goal weight, it was directed by my surgeon where he wanted me to be at goal. Were any of you advised by your surgeon on what your goal weight should be?
Yes, and I didn't like the answer. At my first visit, my surgeon looked at one of those height/weight charts and said I was 107 pounds over ideal weight. Since the success rate with the sleeve was 60%, he said my goal should be 164. WWAAYY too much for a 5 foot tall person. I mean, if the average weight loss for the sleeve is 60% doesn't that mean half the people lose more? I always wanted to be above average.

Hi Linney. I wasn't given a goal weight by my surgeon, I just took a number that sounded right at the time. I agree goals are a good thing and are always good to attain but sometimes some of us feel we are just setting ourselves up for failure if we put much emphasis on the goal and not the journey. :cool: Tom

My surgeon simply said you could be 128 # in one year. Of course it will take longer and I realize it. 128 is way too much for someone under 5 feet but I will be delighted to reach it and maintain it. He didn't actually set a goal but I also think he likes his patients to lose at least 100 pounds and most lose more than that. I kind of feel like if you don't have a goal you set yourself up for failure, Goals can be changed as conditions change but I think it is nice to be working toward something.

Back