• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My Weight loss journey

LGabriel16

Hi, My name is Lisa! I'm so excited and looking forward to the new me! Currently, going through the first steps of Bariatric Surgery. I was wondering if anyone could give me insight on either the gastric bypass and the gastric sleeve? I understand both have their advantages and disadvantages. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Lisa, Welcome. I am Tom and I had the RnY Gastric bypass over two years ago, I know several people with the sleeve and band also and we all have our resons for which one we chose sometimes it is all the insurance would cover:rolleyes: I didn't have the option for the sleeve and I was not familiar with it, my choices were the band or the R n Y, I didn't like the idea of the band being implanted in me but the RnY sounded like it was more of what would help me get healthier.

The Sleeve and RnY have similar success rates and you can lose weight at about the same rate. Some key differences are, with the RnY there is malabsorbtion issues so you will need to take vitamin supplaments for the rest of your life, which to me is no big deal, and it is much cheaper than the cholesterol and high blood pressure meds were costing me and I didn't need a perscription so if I ran out on a weekend I wouldn't goo without. That being said most sleeve patients will take vitamins also. The RnY is a reroute of the stomach and gives you a small pouch that leads into the intestines with the Sleeve they make your stomach about the size of a small banana without rerouting anything. The Sleeve can also be easily switched to a RnY if it is not working as intended. The RnY is covered by most insurance companies where the sleve is not as widely accepted, yet, but as more data becomes available it may be accepted by more insurance carriers. I hear the recovery time for the sleeve is shorter also. Hope I helped. :cool: Tom

Hi Lisa. Im choosing the sleeve but have not had surgery yet, was not a fan of lap band didnt want something foriegn in my body and you have more traveling back for adjustments it seems than with the other surgery as for the bypass im not crazy about my small intestines being messed with the sleeve seemed less invasive and less down time than the others. I have a handicap son that is totally dependent so i need the quickest recovery time I could get. I know there are no guarantees but I hoping everything goes smoothly. Sandra

Tom,
Its wonderful to meet you! Thank you so much for replying. I'm doing a lot of research on my interest in the gastric bypass and the gastric sleeve. I ultimately realize it comes down to my doctor's recommendation and final approval from the insurance company. I'm learning a lot about the advantages between the two and disadvantages. I am definitely familiar with taking vitamins. I take about a handful a day. No big deal on the supplements. I just worry with the gastric bypass with particularly the "dumping syndrome", food getting stuck, ulcers, and the complexities of intestinal re-wiring.

My friend at work has the same medical insurance as I do and was approved for the gastric sleeve. She had the surgery a few months ago and has lost some weight but I truly believe its because she does NOT exercise or eat healthy meals.
I have two other co-workers that had the gastric bypass surgery and lost a LOT of weight but only to gain some back. Their reasons were the same... not doing what they are supposed to do. Old habits to battle.
It really is about behavior and control of what we think.

I realize this is a tool but I believe it will jumpstart me and regain a new life as a person who can eat healthy small portions and be satisfied and get back to doing what I love.. Riding horses!

I will keep you updated on what will happen next.. got to see my doctor on August 13th!

Sandra,

Its wonderful to meet you! I definitely agree with you on the LapBand. I don't want any foreign object in my body. I don't think that is a good option! I am doing a lot of research and more and more I lean toward the gastric sleeve. However, ultimately it depends on my doctor's recommendation. Ultimately, my medical insurance for the final approval. I go to see my doctor on Aug 13th, to get his advice. I will see.... excited and nervous! Keep in touch... ;)

If you have any more questions Lisa make sure you come back and ask, there are a lot of great people here for support and have gone through the same descisions and emotions you are having. It was an emotional rollercoaster for me, it really didn't hit me until I had my visit with the surgeons then it really sunk in that this is a life changing event and I would have to change the way I eat and look at food for the rest of my life. Kinda scary but I knew I had tried everything else and after all is said and done over two years later I wouldn't change a thing. Hang in there, when you talk with the surgeon he or she will explain the pro's and con's of both and what he or she thinks would be best for you, but ultamately the descision is yours. :cool: Tom

Tom,

Many people I have spoken to agree its the best thing they did! Thanks so much Tom for your encouragement and kind words!

Truly,
Lisa:eek:

Lisa, Welcome to the forum. I think all of these surgeries are just tools to get to the same place. And what you do when you get there is up to you! Personally, I don't understand people that would go through all of this and then regain the weight back. I think it's important to understand yourself and your triggers so that you DON'T gain the weight back.
I have a separate medical issue with my intestines that puts me in the hospital periodically for blood transfusions, so I really didn't want my intestines re-routed. Probably just an emotional response, but if they eventually end up taking out large sections of my intestines, I want them where they can find them HA HA.

Karenina,

Thank you, I"m glad to be part of the forum! Its very nice to meet you! You are absolutely right about the surgeries being a tool. Ultimately, the person has to do what's needed to be successful with the tool! I agree, I don't understand how person's go through surgery to lose all the weight only to regain it back plus more... very sad! I"m just anxious and want to make sure I"m making the right decision.. since this will be for the rest of my life...I have to trust my doctor too though! Will see what happens..

Hi Lisa, I had the sleeve done 6 weeks ago. I thought I would be able to go back to work in 3 weeks, but ended up it took 5 weeks. It was discovered I had other medical issues that had nothing to do with the surgery. I am on chewable vitamins and crushing pills. Since the stomach is narrow things can get stuck. My surgeon said once I start eating solid food I could probably cut the pills, vitamins in half or smaller and it would be okay. No dumping with the sleeve. I do not feel hungry, but eat what I am told. You have to get your protein in. The sleeve has specific steps to follow which change every 2 weeks until week 8. I think these are different than bypass patients. My insurance covered the sleeve with no problem. I waited only about 2 weeks after all the paperwork was in. It is a huge choice so I think the more you educate yourself and work with your doctor you will know what is right for you. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Kim,

Its very nice meet you Kim! Congrats on having the surgery.. sorry though it took so long for you to recover and go back to work. Everyone is different. So what could take 2 two weeks for one person, could take 3-5 weeks for another... it just depends. I hope your doing better! I didn't realize that stuff had the potential to get stuck with the gastric sleeve. From all the research, I'm doing I understand how important it is to consume a lot of protein. Protein helps your body recover faster. Plus, protein is what makes up our body in addition to water.
I can't wait to feel what its like to not feel hungry or eat a small portion and be FULL.
It will be a huge adjustment in every way.
Right now I'm trying to be mindful of my eating.. Eating slower and trying to chew. I think that it will be a challenge for me to make sure I've eaten slowly and thoroughly. I HATE THROWING UP! Really... I am such a baby.. I cry and get these horrible red circles on my face after throwing up. I'm just so afraid of that.

You are absolutely right about working with my doctor. I guess I"m so anxious and want to do what is right I"m looking far too ahead. I meet with my bariatric doctor on August 13th. I'll let ya know!

I had the sleeve and thankfully problem free (knock on wood). You need to choose what is right for you and what your Dr says.

I have not thrown up and went back to work after 3 1/2 weeks. I am very pleased with the sleeve, I am going on 5 1/2 months, best thing I could have done for myself. My primary Dr has taken me off a few medications, I am no longer diabetic not even border line, so all is good.

Back