• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need feedback on the 1 month mark

Kim n NC

Hey,
I am having trouble with drinking plain water. Doesn't sit well, hasn't since surgery. Also, at times I am having quite a bit of discomfort after eating, though I watch the amount closely and still on the soft diet. I'm supposed to start "regular" food in 2 weeks but I don't think I'm going to be able to.
Also, I'm still having to drink Isopure Zero Carb every day in order to meet protein goals. Is this normal at this stage? Are the protein drinks going to be a permanent thing?
Thanks.

Hi Kim,

I'm also in NC, anyway. How much water are you drinking at one time? I take one swallow every 15 minutes or so. Also I vary my fluids, I do water, protein drinks, decaf coffee, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles. That makes it easier to take the water.

When you eat, do you eat slowly or quickly. I don't mean slower than you used to, really slowly. I find myself eating to fast and feeling some discomfort after eating. I think that is because, even though the portion size is right, I was full before I finished the food. Because I ate too fast, I didn't get the message until after I was done. This worked for me, when you eat, put your fork down after putting the food in your mouth, then wait for 60 seconds after you've swallowed before taking your next bite. Now I know when I'm full and on the occasions I forget to eat slowly, my body reminds me, painfully, I might add. Hope this helps.

I agree with him. My Dr. said that if I can't keep water down its because I'm drinking it to fast. You might think ...well my gosh...how slow do I have to drink it? Like fkrebs said " very slow"!!! It's normal. I have thrown up water and food more than I'd like to admit. It's all about being SLOW...It sucks:) I know its frustrating but hang in there. It's got to get better. We just have to retrain our minds on how thing work now. Good luck and think slow:)

Fortunately, I've only gotten sick once. Ate some tuna salad and though I was trying to pick the tuna out, I think it was just too much mayo for my system. But back to the water, even one or two sips of water sits bad. It's weird.

Have you tried ice water or hot water (cup O coffe hot:eek:). It does happen to some of us, luckily fluids only feel uncomfortable when I drink to fast so I have learned to drink slower, most of the time. :cool: Tom

Coffee does okay but only having one cup a week. I thought the water problem would be temporary. My surgeon explained that the pH of the water was probably the issue the first couple of days post-op. (He compared it to pouring water on a cut or saline...the saline doesn't burn.) Juice and gatorade type drinks did better. I thought it was a matter of healing, but still can't tolerate plain water.

Back