• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need help getting in protein

NanaG67

Hi everyone! It seems that I am at a stand still, and I was told this would happen. I had my visit with the surgeon on Monday, and I am not getting enough proteins in. They said if I could do more protein, then it would help with the weight loss. I cannot tolerate the shakes, I was told to go to egg white protein drinks. I have tasted the chocolate one and I was ok, it is just expensive when you don't have the money. It's not that I can't afford to get it later in the week, they wanted me to buy it then, and I didn't have $27 for the tub.

Anyway, I can eat tuna, but it's not going down well. I can do eggs, I made a great fritatta the other day. I had a great salad yesterday for the first time, and I am paying the price for it now.

Can you give me some good protein suggestions?? I'm out of ideas right now :confused:

NANA-Go to the grocery store and buy pasturized egg whites. You should be able to find them next to the egg substitute. They're reasonably priced and you can add them into your shakes or other cold beverages. You can buy fresh eggs and just use the egg whites mixed into cooked recipies or make an egg white omlete or fritatta with some cottage cheese.

Pat, I did get some egg whites yesterday at the store. I also found some bread that has 5 grams of protein per slice. Of course there are other breads available that have 14 per slice but I just can't purchase it this week, as it is $8 a loaf. but we shall see.

Nana-You're probably better off without the high protein bread anyway since it probably still has quite a few carbs. It's unfortunate that the high protein / lower carb foods are so darn expensive. But considering the big picture, we are eating so much less than before so the money we are saving on groceries should more than compensate for the small amount of higher priced specialty foods we want or need.

Also, have you considered eating tofu? It's high in protein and can be added to soups, eggs and shakes. I like to slice up firm tofu and heat it up in a teflon pan or even the microwave and add a little sugar free "maple" syrup to it. It reminds me of french toast and tastes real good :) :) :) I also tried putting it cold into an ice cream cone with some syrup and no calorie sweetener or sometimes some berries...so very yummy.

Pat, the good thing about that bread is that it only 1 carb per slice. I am probably going to order some. I did find an awesome shake that I can drink. Have you heard of Shakeology?? It is pricy though. I was a given a sample from my chiropractor on Friday. I gave me energy, I wasn't hungry all day. But because of this I over did it, and have been in pain all weekend. I was barely able to walk on Saturday, I was walking yesterday, but it hurts and sitting is difficult. So back to my chiro this morning. May have to get another MRI or something to see what's going on.

As far as the tofu?? um....yuck...lol... ok, not sure if I can handle it, but I will check it out.

Nana-I've never heard of Shakeology but will check on-line to see if I can get a sample or perhaps a very small container to try. I only drink 1 shake a day now except on days when I can't manage eating any type of solid protein.

As for the tofu, most people don't give it a chance. You can use the very soft tofu (silken?) to make yummy protein shakes in a blender. The firmer tofu's can be diced and added to salads and soups, scrambled eggs (mash with a fork before adding) and other foods. If you like hot and sour soup toss in some diced up tofu and let it sit in the fridge overnight to allow the tofu to absorb all of the flavors. The thing about tofu is that it is very bland and readily absorbs the flavor of whatever you add it to. It will be so easy on your pouch that it may become your favorite source of protein once you find ways to work it into your diet :) :) :)

Hi there, I'm Renae. I just signed up to this site a couple hours ago and I'm afraid I don't exactly know how to post questions/comments/start a discussion yet. (maybe you's be willing to give me some tips...?) Anyways, I'm not good at getting my protein in either- I can't stand protein powders. Costco has the Premiere Protein brand shakes that actually taste decent and have 30 grams of protein per shake. Another way that actually tastes good is the greek style yogurt. Costco has raw shelled hemp seeds that have 11g/protein per 3Tbs. They are very tasty in the greek yogurt. They have a nutty and piney flavor. Well I hope to hear back from you and maybe you would be willing to give me some pointers on how to post things on here to get replys and suggestions from other users. :)

I am new to the group as well and need some pointers as to how to operate on the site. I am pre surgery, either gastric bypass or sleeve which have you heard being better if either. I live rurally so all of you are my only support. I don't have any meetings within driving distance. I'd appreciate any pointers you have

You can try getting protein shots at Wal-mart. I can't do the protein shakes... just can't stomach them.... a small vial has 26 to 42 Grams of protein in them. I like the fruit punch over all of the flavors. but that is me.

Last edited by a moderator:
jwfields and renae--- Welcome to the forum. Under site navigation on the home page (top left corner) there is a beginner's guide with a lot of information.

You can try getting protein shots at Wal-mart. I can't do the protein shakes... just can't stomach them.... a small vial has 26 to 42 Grams of protein in them. I like the fruit punch over all of the flavors. but that is me.

A protein shot....is that like a 5hr energy shot???

I'm in the same boat - just can't get enough protein. I did enjoy the shakes pre surgery but now 4 weeks out, i can't stomach them. have wasted lots of money in the process. i'm doing some protein powders in my water but that's just not enough. i'm still so weak and can't go back to work. really, really need some great tips on protein. still on the liquids and softs and not doing well on moving into the next phase of pureed foods. kinda discouraging.....

I used ISOPURE protein drinks, they are clear liquid and have 40 grams of protein in 20 oz of liquid. What I liked about them is that they are both water and protein. The taste, took me a bit to get used to, but now whenever I'm short on Protein, I just grab an ISOPURE. Worth a try. Oh and I used to like protein shakes pre-surgery as well, now I can't stand the ones I used to use. I'm going to try some new homemade shakes to see if they are better.

:cool:

Hi! Like others the protein shakes are not my favorites! I didn't think they were that bad before the surgery, but had been warned that my tastes might change after....and they did. I used to like the Muscle Milk (lite) shakes that you can get in the cardboard containers from Wal-Mart, but now I find them sickening sweet. I also tried the protein shot tubes with the 46 grams and thought they will disgusting. Even mixed in small doses in Crystal Light they are not my favorite! What I have found that works for me in shakes is Unjury Chocolate Splendor and the Chicken soup flavor. They are not cheap and I only use 1 per day. I've also gone to the local Max Muscle Store where they will mix these protein drinks up so you can taste them before buying them. The disadvantage is they use water for the taste test. To make them taste better I use skim milk and even found a light vanilla soy milk that makes them taste much better...and the milk adds to your protein count! I have a Raspberry Truffle that's not bad.

I like tuna, eggs, 1% cottage cheese and Weight Watchers String Cheese. They all have a good amount of protein. Navy, garbanzo, kidney beans are all good for protein and fiber. There are some soups that are new from Campbell's that are pre-made in a bag that have beans in them that are higher in protein as well. If you read the cans, some canned chicken is pretty good in protein and not bad for taste. Good luck!!

Protein isn't my favorite, either, but if I make a concerted effort, I can consume the recommended amount. Even though I'd rather consume my calories in the form of carbs, I guess I'm fortunate that I am able to consume the necessary protein.

If you aren't getting in the requisite protein, what are you consuming in lieu of protein? If are you consuming bread, starch, or sugar, remove those from your diet. Unfortunately, I can't offer much more advice. I've never used protein shakes or powders. I just eat several small meals each day...essentially grazing on things like rotisserie chicken...and slowly I seem to be able to get in all in, at least most days. I did, however, recently order several samplers of protein powders...I hope I like them and I hope they help make it a little easier to get in all the protein I should be consuming. :)

Nana, I don't care for the shakes, but obviously, have to have 2 a day anyway. But that's my limit. I choose food!!! I hope the following information helps you....

Chicken
*breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
*thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
*drumstick – 11 grams
*wing – 6 grams
*chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams

Fish
*most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
*tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

Pork
*pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
*pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
*ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
*ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
*bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
*canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6

Eggs and Dairy
*egg, large - 6 grams protein
*milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
*cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
*yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
*soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
*medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
*hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)
*tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
*tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
*soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
*most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
*soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
*split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds
*peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
*almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
*peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
*cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
*pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
*sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
*pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
*flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

Back