• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need some help !

nancy42

Hello I am brand new to this forum but could sure use some advice .
I was banded on the 28th of Feb.2011. Every thing went really well for the
first four months then my weight loss slowed way down and now this past month
I have even gained about five pounds. My hair started falling out about the same time
at the four month mark and now it is so sparse I have to wear a wig to go out of the house.
I had blood work done last month and it all looked pretty good. My B12 was marginal but not bad.
I am taking prenatal vitamins (for the extra iron) plus Biotin .I also take Calcium w/vit.D and a
fish oil supplement. I can't eat meat ,beef ,chicken,pork . It just won't go down. I can eat some fish and some ground beef if cooked in spaghetti sauce. I just have a really hard time getting enough protein in. I weighed 247 lbs at surgery and now weigh 191 lbs. I do feel so much better from pre-surgery but I'm so worried about hair loss and slowed weight loss. I have an appt. with LB Doctor
tomorrow so hopefully will get some help. Will welcome any advice from fellow banders.

nancy42, wish I could help I had the RnY. Try posting on the post surgery problems page, there may be some info there that can help you out. The Doctor should be able to get to the bottom of it though. Platues are normal but the hair loss sounds like a vitamin deficency.

Nancy-Welcome to American Bariatric forum. I agree with TwoMas about your doctor being able to help with your weight issue. My guess is that he / she will need to tighten the band up a bit. I am still pre-surgical for RNY but have concerns regarding hair loss. So far the advice has been the same: protein, protein and more protein. I know you said you can't eat meat so that leaves you with using bariatric protein supplements instead. There are certainly a lot of choices available and this site has a source of supplements. Just go to the main forum page and scroll down to the last section of forums to find the site. Your dietitian can also be useful in recommending supplements and probably has some available for purchase right there in the office. Don't go home empty handed. You must start eating your protein immediately. At least go pick up some high protein low carb protein drinks from the store today and try to get in your recommended amount every day. You don't have to like the way it tastes, you just need to drink it!

Make sure to come back to the forum and let us know how you are doing. You will be helping others by coming back and providing feedback on your progress.

I did go see my Doc today and have to say I feel much better about things. Regarding hair loss she put me on complex B vitamins along with reg vitamins and Biotin.
I also got a 1cc. fill . I already feel more constriction there. Not hungry at all.I do realize of course this is pretty ordinary with a new fill. Since I have trouble eating reg meats but I can eat ground meats in sauces she said go for it .What ever it takes to get the protein in. Hopefully the weight will start coming off again now.
I will do updates with any news, thanks ,Nancy

Welcome to the group, Nancy. I'm excited for you. You are below the 200 mark! Woohoo! Congrats.

I'm a huge vitamin and protein pusher! LOL. Ya gotta take em. You gotta drink the protein. Everyone of course is a bit different in how their body handles this challenge but you sound right on course for even an RNY surgery. If I don't have the extra protein daily by day 2 I feel it. And it's not pretty. I do a lot of..."I don't feel well", "I want to go lay down", etc. If I miss the vitamins in the morning, by evening I am zapped. I fall asleep early...like 7pm. My kids and husband have me figured out. I may be sitting on the couch and I get a glass with water and a handful of vitamins.

I keep my vitamins in one of those cases that has 4 sections per day. It's a biggie, but omg, does it ever work. Each Sunday I refill it. I don't touch them during the week until I take them. If I miss a day, I leave them in their day so I know when everytime I get the container down that I missed a day. Mentally, it works. And it keeps me taking them.

Please keep us up on how you are doing.

Back