• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Negative Nellies

I've been very guarded about who I tell about my surgery. Up until today everyone had been excited for me. Then today at work a lady heard me mention the liver shrinking diet and wanted to know why I was doing it. I decided to tell her and she preceded to tell me about a neighbor of hers that had gone thru this and lost a bunch of weight and then regained it all. She asked why I thought this was going to work for me and couldn't I just keep doing what I've been doing to lose weight. It was like she was trying to talk me out of it. It really upset me. This is exactly why I haven't told many about it. I really don't need negative Nellies around. Usually I would just let things go in one ear and out the other but I decided I not to let it go and told her I didn't need negativity, either support me or keep your mouth shut. I said it in nicer words. She apologized. I just don't understand why people have to be that way. Have any of you had this problem?

Chances are that she thought she was being honest and concerned for you. I just tell anyone who's negative that I appreciate their viewpoint, but I'm going to continue going down this path. It's what is working for me. Don't let her get you down, you can do this.

Frank

Everybody has a story, it seems. The first person I told was my daughter-in-law (who has a lap band and lost 120 pounds) and she said "you're not that big!" I was disappointed that I had to explain it to someone who should understand that regardless of what I weigh today, I'm a 240 pound woman in a 5-foot frame. Geez.

I can relate because I've had the same thing said to me by a family member saying "Ohhh, you don't need to lose weight!"! Whattt...my weight with my 5'5 height is considered morbid obese and I know I am by how I see myself and how my clothes fit on me(not too loose being a size 3x)! I think they say that to try and make you feel good but sorry, it's not acceptable especially for health reasons!! I also were told that they knew people that went through surgery, lost it all to their goal and are starting to gain it back again. Wellll, that's them and that isn't everyone!! If they choose to give up and go back to their old bad habits and ignore all the valuable help from others out there, than that's on them!! I personally am staying positive and like you said, only need positive support around you on this journey and will succeed and be proud!! Best wishes to you and keep going!! You have our support always!! :eek:

Back