• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New and Scared!

cbrusso

Hi im in the pre pre op stage. My first appt is set for the end of may. Im told it takes 6-9 months after that to actually have the surgery. I have to admit this is something that i have been thinking about for a few yrs now. I have been putting this off for a while because the thought of something happening to me and me not being here for my children scares me so much. But if i dont do something i wont be here for them anyways. Ive been over weight all my life and for the past 6 yrs have managed to keep it at about the same weight. But i want to feel good about my self and i want to know what its like to feel healthy and happy and have the energy to go out and play with my kids instead of sitting on the sideline. Sorry i need to vent and this seems like the best place to do it. so i do have a few questions like i said i was told it takes 6-9 months from start to finish why does it take so long? What all will I have to do in that time period? i was also told you have to loose a certain amount of weight before they will allow you to have the surgery is this also true? Both my parents had this done over 10 yrs ago i dont remember much about it when they had it done. so any help would be great thanks so much for listening to me jammer on.

Hi cbrusso, Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of wonderful people here to help you and answer questions. It can be scary I know I was very nervouse when I had my surgery but I also thought a long time and did not make the descision lightly. I have no regrets and would not change a thing. We all have a differnt journey to some extent but similar storie. 1) The waiting period. It took me approxamately 5 months seminar to surgery. Ther are all kinds of tests needed, I had ekg, ultrasound, pschyological eval, dietary counceling, and several other misc doctor visits, some take longer and some may me quicker depending on insurance or self pay. 2) What to do while you wait. Go to doctors, just kidding although not far from the truth, start teaching yourself some of the new habits you will need to learn for your new life, having the surgery is only a tool that we use to help us become healthier. You can also start trying different protien shakes because you will be needing to drink them for a while after surgery to assure you get enough protien to aid in healing and to keep you healthy. 3) Do you have to lose a certain amount of weight. This is entirely up to your surgon but at a minimum I have seen so far almost everyone has had to go on some kind of low fat high protien diet for a week prior to surgery to help shrink the liver making surgery go easier and quicker for the surgons. Congratulations on your descision you have plenty of time to explore your options with the different proceedure and which would be best for you. Keep us informed on how you are doing. :cool: Tom

I also am scared and waitin g on my first appt. I too am at the pint of having to do it or worry about leaving my family due to obesity related complications.I dont personally the answer to your questions but this a good place to get them everyone is very helpful and caring and most important not judgemental.you mentioned your parents having the surgery, how are they doing may i ask have they maintain their weight lost.

Hi cbrusso & ascooke
Tom has given you a great summary of the what and why-I don't know of anything to add other than that I've never regretted doing this for one minute,in fact it's the best thing I've ever done for my long term health.Everyone has fears and doubts and that's pretty natural with such a big decision but we all made it thru and so will you both.Stay with the forum and you will see that there are many people that care and they will all help you in any way they can.
Good Luck to you both,
Ron

Yes my parents both had it done. Unfortunatly my father gained a lot back he didn't flow the guidelines and eats things he shouldn't. My mother has done well she has to work at it. She said that after about 5 yrs it gets a little harder and you have took keep up with your eating right. That's one thing that scares me. I want nothing more than to loose weight and keep it off. I'm 29 yrs old and I want to go out and play with my kids and really enjoy their childhood.

Back