• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New For Me -just celebrated 10 year after WLS

Etta Adams

Did not have a problem with alcohol
Before surgery.
I was not warned about transfer addictions
Or alcoholism.
I was 59 when I had WLS. I had the surgery in
Feb 2002.
I have not had any alcohol for 7 months
And am a member of AA.

If you are having or had WLS please
Take this seriously

10 y

Hi Etta Welcome to the forum. I was made aware that I could develope a problem with alcohol, they were right, I waited about 9 months after surgery and I though a glass or two of wine wouldn't do any harm by August of last year I was in a desperate state, I believe you know what I am talking about. I got into AA and after several months in the fellowship I had lost the urge to drink, I am still trying to clean up the mess I made of my life in the preceeding months to my sobriety so I can close that chapter and move on to whatever life brings me but never to forget how I got here, knowing God will never give me more than I can handle.

How are you doing with your WLS now, I have heard it gets more difficult to stay on track the further out we get. :cool: Tom

I am so grateful to this forum and the things I have learned. I had no clue about transfer addictions. Alcoholism runs in my family, mostly the males are affected. When I was 16 I started drinking with my friends. This may seem normal for a teenager to do except when I would wake up Monday morning still high and smelling like beer or wine I realized I had a problem. One day I just decided I didn't want to live my life this way. I quit on my own and have only had too much to drink one time since then at my best friends wedding when I was 28. I was sick for 2 days *LOL* That was almost 3 decades ago. Now I might have a sip of alcohol 2 or 3 times a year at a special occasion. I'm glad to hear that there is such a thing as a transfer addiction and will be extra careful.

I talked to my psychiatrist about the transferring of one addiction (food) for another and she informed me that 30% of WLS patients become alcoholics. Since I have a very addictive-type personality, I'm thinking I should stay away from alcohol altogether.

I am glad I found this forum, This is the second one I have joined, I am two years out from gastric bypass, and did really well the first year, in my second year I had a lot of stress in my life, my sister passed away, moved to a new state and started a new job. I went for a year after surgery without drinking any alcohol, and then found my self in social events sipping wine, and oh boy the last several months it got out of control, It was a wake up call for me,I have been off diabetic meds and bloodpresssure meds for almost two years, and I have gained some of my weight back. I am going to get back on track .

Pisces-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on deciding to get back on track. This forum has a wonderful group of people who can offer support, answer questions or just listen :) I'm sure you can also offer advice based on your experience. Make sure you come back to the forum and let us know how you are doing.

Hi Pisces Welcome, I definatly know where you are coming from, I too started with a few sips and quckly got out of control. I know I can never safely drink again and I would rather be happy and healthy so I am fine with that. I am back on track, I am two years and a couple of months and I feel great, I was off BP and cholestoral meds within the first week or two. Hang in there you can get back on track. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

Back