• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New here

jduffy

Hello, everyone. I'm here because I'll be going to Cleveland Clinic next Thursday, January 30th to meet the Bariatic Surgery team of doctors. The thing is I really don't have a "support group" in my life. Actually, that's what I'm looking for from here, support. Of course, I will give whatever support that I can give to others too.
I'm in a wheelchair due to a spinal cord injury 6 years ago. However, I've always been very heavy, in fact, extremely obese even before the wheelchair. I can use a walker to transfer but am too weak to walk any distance.
To make matters worse I have diabetes, asthma, obstructive sleep apena, GERD, and lots of pain in my hips and knees. I've been told that after weight loss through bariatric surgery I might be able to end the above illnesses.
Also, to make matters worse again, I suffer from several mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, and DID. I feel like all the cards are stacked against me.
I'm looking for a friend here to help me through. Is anyone out there?
jduffy

Welcome Jduffy, you've found a great group of people here. You definitely have a lot going on in your life and definitely some obstacales in your way. You can overcome them, at least the weight related ones, if you follow the plan that will be laid out for you by your Dr. and Nutritionist. You are going to have to change your lifestyle altogether and look at food as fuel for the body and nothing else. Several questions come to mind:

1. Have you decided on what type of surgery are you want?
2. If so what and why?
3. How much research have you done?

Please let us know what specific questions you have.

Frank

:cool:

Welcome to the forum. You will find friends here, it's not a big site but there are a lot of good people on it. Good luck to you.

Hello, everyone. I'm here because I'll be going to Cleveland Clinic next Thursday, January 30th to meet the Bariatic Surgery team of doctors. The thing is I really don't have a "support group" in my life. Actually, that's what I'm looking for from here, support. Of course, I will give whatever support that I can give to others too.
I'm in a wheelchair due to a spinal cord injury 6 years ago. However, I've always been very heavy, in fact, extremely obese even before the wheelchair. I can use a walker to transfer but am too weak to walk any distance.
To make matters worse I have diabetes, asthma, obstructive sleep apena, GERD, and lots of pain in my hips and knees. I've been told that after weight loss through bariatric surgery I might be able to end the above illnesses.
Also, to make matters worse again, I suffer from several mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, and DID. I feel like all the cards are stacked against me.
jduffy

Hi jduffy!! WELCOME to the forum!!! I would love to be your friend. :)

There are a great group of people on this forum who will give you information, advice and friendship. As you lose weight your medical problems should improve. I think as you go through your surgery and recovery, you will need to remember to not stretch your new tiny tummy. Only eat tiny amounts of food at a time. You won't be hungry cause your stomach will be full. Emotional eating is what you will need to be careful of. Take a pictue of yourself as you begin this journey, measure yourself, and write everything down. You will see yourself melt away. Pay attention to what you are eating and the affect it has on you. I am allowed ham but everytime I eat it I gain water weight and my ankles swell. Read everything you can about your procedure and become a well informed patient.

Which surgery are you having? I had the gastric bypass, and am very happy with my decision. Some people here have had the sleeve with great results.

After the operation.. If you can take a laptop or Pad with you to the hospital, you can let us know how you are doing when you feel well enough. :) Good Luck with your surgery!!!

Cheyenne :cool:

jduffy

We are here to help you. You are about to reshuffle the deck.

I see many of your maladies here. I truly believe as you work with both your surgeon, your nutrionist and your psychologist you will see your list of maladies slowly but surely disappear.

The one thing I notice is that you have diabetes; I am assuming T2, right? I too have T2 diabetes. This is the one malady that lead me to my decision to do the gastric bypass. It has the benefit of an immediate resolution to controlling your diabetes. You are "not cured" persay, but your need for meds are reduced if not completely eliminated immediately. I was on 2000mg of Metformin ER and up to 90 units of Novolog Flex Pen fast insulin daily to control my diabetes and maintain an A1C in the 5's. I don't need any of these meds. In fact, the last shot of insulin I received was in the hospital. I didn't need it after that anymore. My average reading in the day is 110. I suspect as I lose more weight this will drop below 100.

I also had severe sleep apnea. I believe this is completely gone. Furthermore, the CPAP pressure bothered my new stomach so I stopped it all together. I will go for another sleep study soon. I believe it is completely gone.

Ralph

welcome to the board. I hope you can find the same kindness and guidance that I have found here. One of the hardest parts of life is feeling you are going it alone. Don't distress this board has warm and caring people who will help you along the way. Just listen to you medical team and things will get better.

Back